FedEx Freight | Know What You're Voting For

Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously don't understand the meaning of the word "bargaining" or "to bargain".
Party one has to want something that party two possesses. In order to obtain what party two has, party one must be willing to give something in exchange.
What do you, party one, have to give in exchange for what the company, party two, has?
You can replace truck drivers,but can you replace pilots,Fed Ex dozen't hold all the cards. When we back them in a corner and there stocks tumble they will bargain in good faith, I won't be today or tomorrow, but It Will happen.

You can replace truck drivers,but can you replace pilots,Fed Ex dozen't hold all the cards. When we back them in a corner and there stocks tumble they will bargain in good faith, I won't be today or tomorrow, but It Will happen.
Pilots are covered by the RLA.
Drivers are covered by the NLRA.
You do know the difference....don't you?

Again, in NC 97% of the companies (our customers) are non-union....and since we're on the border, in SC 96.5% of the companies (also our customers) are non-union. Who are you going to appeal to....the 3-3.5% of the companies that ARE union that don't give FedEx their frt anyways?

Good luck!!!

**facepalm**

What do you think LABOR Unions have been negotiating with for decades? Do you think the LABOR Unions had nothing the company needed from their workers?? I left you a couple subtle hints that maybe even you could catch on to...
Your talking apples and oranges...yes, once the union has had several contracts for several years, they do have the power to negotiate but in our case, THERE IS NO CONTRACT. The LABOR you speak of currently has no protection because there is NO CONTRACT. The only card that LABOR can play if there isn't a contract agreement is to walk....and without protection thats pure *******.
I suggest you talk to some of the guys that worked for Overnite during that debacle, if it wouldn't have been for UPS swooping in to buy them up, they'd probably still be fighting for that first contract!

It was also rumored that UPS attempted to buy AF back in the day but Sheridan wouldn't sell....thank god...instead he sold to FedEx.

Again, in NC 97% of the companies (our customers) are non-union....and since we're on the border, in SC 96.5% of the companies (also our customers) are non-union. Who are you going to appeal to....the 3-3.5% of the companies that ARE union that don't give FedEx their frt anyways?

Good luck!!!

Poverty rates in NC at 17%
Poverty rates in SC at 13.8 %
Think this has anything to do with it ?

Think this has anything to do with it ?
No, I would attribute that more to the Democrats...starting with Jimmy Carter who floated the idea, then on to Bill Clinton who put the idea into law....and let's not forget Barney Frank and Chris Dodd who made sure the law was enforced. It's called the Community Reinvestment Act, or in simpler terms, the idea that everyone could/should be a homeowner.
I'd say it was the bursting of the housing bubble that was caused by the CRA which destroyed the economy that led to the high unemployment numbers.
I'd also say that the lack of education would also be a contributing factor. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I'd say it has nothing to do with the fact that 97% of the companies in NC and 96.5% in SC are non-union.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. The chain of command goes all the way to the top and I've personally used that chain to have issued addressed that pertain to me. Yes, most centers operate through the "good ole boy" network and some are even incompetent, but that doesn't mean you can't get results. Most employees start at the bottom of the chain and go in with complaints but offer no solutions, then stop when they get no results. I've found that if you offer a solution to your complaint, more times than not you'll get results, regardless of how far up the chain you may have to go. Also, the further up the chain you go, you'll realize that upper management has no knowledge as to the issues we're dealing with....could be the "good ole boys" covering up these issues, not sure, but you can get results. I recently had to take an issue to our Divisional HR rep and I asked him for a deadline of Dec 1st to provide me with an answer. I plan to call him on Mon and if he doesn't have an answer, I'll go above him.
I personally don't believe we need a unified voice, mine works just fine...for me. Guys should educate themselves on how to use the system and quit relying on others to do the work for them. You can get results, you just have to work a little!

I've done my research, and like aflifer, I also use history along with that research to formulate my opinions. IMO, looking at the collective bargaining laws set forth by our govt and the results from the Overnite/teamsters debacle, I just don't see a contract ever being ratified. I see employees at the centers that voted "yes" becoming impatient and frustrated with the long, drawn out process that it WILL become, along with the increases that the non-union centers will be enjoying, and eventually they'll vote the union out. This isn't the 70's...or even the 90's....this is now an "I want it yesterday" society that will not wait a couple years on a contract....and there's no laws or "options" that will force the company to ratify a contract any sooner.

As far as the chain of command, I too have been through that. At one time, calls to H/R were very effective. Calls to Safety, were also helpful. That avenue has become riddded with roadblocks and spin, in recent years. I've been to H/R, then Safety, then... Without going into too much detail, my experience is, that the only consistent Dept. at this point seems to be the Legal Dept.

The LABOR you speak of currently has no protection because there is NO CONTRACT. The only card that LABOR can play if there isn't a contract agreement is to walk....and without protection thats pure *******.

I suggest you talk to some of the guys that worked for Overnite during that debacle, if it wouldn't have been for UPS swooping in to buy them up, they'd probably still be fighting for that first contract!
The Labor you speak of Does have protection from ULP, in that the union will take charge, and represent if needed. Also, walking is the last resort. Organized worked DO HAVE other methods to get the company to negotiate. I hate to play the cards here, but just know that the Company is aware of those methods, and would be able to do little to stop it.

Good luck!!!
Customers don't care who's union and who's not. They like UPS, quite a lot. They like FedEx almost as much. As long as the service level is there, they'll be fine. IF that level drops, few customers are loyal anymore... And most will happily jump ship.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...dex-which-company-is-best-at-keeping-its.aspx

The Labor you speak of Does have protection from ULP, in that the union will take charge, and represent if needed. Also, walking is the last resort. Organized worked DO HAVE other methods to get the company to negotiate. I hate to play the cards here, but just know that the Company is aware of those methods, and would be able to do little to stop it.
We'll see. IMO, I personally don't see a contract being signed for a loooong time...if ever.
Again, good luck!

Customers don't care who's union and who's not. They like UPS, quite a lot. They like FedEx almost as much. As long as the service level is there, they'll be fine. IF that level drops, few customers are loyal anymore... And most will happily jump ship.

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...dex-which-company-is-best-at-keeping-its.aspx
My post was in response to the so called "media blitz" against FedEx Frt for not wanting to organize by prolonging negotiations.
Most companies don't care and will either ignore the blitz or side with FedEx IMO.
You are correct, as long as their frt is delivered, that's who they'll use. I was basing my opinion on back in the days when I ran local, the union companies on my route never shipped with AF and the non-union companies very rarely used union companies. Now I'm not naive enough to think that they never used union companies because I'm sure they did but you very rarely saw a Yellow, Roadway, or CF at their docks....unless they had frt going to a union company or to an area that AF didn't service.

Your link was based on parcel, I'm guessing the article would read differently when comparing FedEx Freight vs UPS Freight.

Did I mention this new format SUCKS? To many bugs!

Right to work state! Right to work for less money!!!!! That's a comment I read On an article I was lookIng at a while back.!!!

Its sad that many are blind to this reality, but to each their own if they want a crappy benefit package vote no and lets see how bad it gets. lol

Your talking apples and oranges...yes, once the union has had several contracts for several years, they do have the power to negotiate but in our case, THERE IS NO CONTRACT. The LABOR you speak of currently has no protection because there is NO CONTRACT. The only card that LABOR can play if there isn't a contract agreement is to walk....and without protection thats pure *******.

It was also rumored that UPS attempted to buy AF back in the day but Sheridan wouldn't sell....thank god...instead he sold to FedEx.

They all had to start with a contract of some sort!! Duh!!!! Even a white paper contract can be added to each time you redo your ' sorry ' their contract!!As time goes on you negotiate better language !!! You have said a lot on here and if you go back and read it all its the same misinformed crap time after time after time!!!!! I doubt you even get your hands dirty, and I also think you typing all this crap from company prepared notes!!!! Whether you or any one else on here think the union can't keep the players in check then to bad for you!!!

Good luck!!!

Think this has anything to do with it ?[/

Status
Not open for further replies.