Lay-offs??

MontanaNY- That's the nice thing about working for a non-union company, lay-offs are not based on senority.

Well that IS/CAN BE a double edged sword. I think what you had to gone through at NEMF had more to do with you being a victim of being the "low man".

MontanaNY-Wny are you beating around the bush? You know exactly who I am. Yes, I did leave NEMF to go back to another company. I could see the writing on the wall. Another year at NEMF, another winter laid off with my health benefits droped the same day as the lay-off. While other employes are still working overtime.

Hey richie0115
In your statement you said you went "back to another company" were you able to "see the writing on the wall" when you left them too? As for dropping benefits, that's standard procedure at any company when there's a layoff. Thats the objective of a layoff, to minimize your work force and utilize the remaining personnel to their max. Sorry but thats just how it is.

On papepr NEMF seems to be a good company to work for. But from what I saw when I worked there, it just wasn't for me. My problem with the health insurance is that New England knows in advance that there are going to lay you off. Rather then tell you that your last day is friday, they lie to you and tell you that there is no lay-offs. So you are basically given no time to prepare, what would happen if you were on medication or had a member of your family who was sick?

nemf is a good company to work for as far as im concerned..i never had a problem here yet in the three years i have been driving..i am lucky enough to have a few guys below me on the list for layoffs.....this economy is bad for every company and anybody who say's otherwise is telling stories...if they were to ever lay me off and try to cut my insurance while on meds i would get a lawyer for sure even if i knew it wasnt going to do anything..the company is from what i understand is always for the most part for their employees...at least give some consideration in that aspect

So you are basically given no time to prepare, what would happen if you were on medication or had a member of your family who was sick?

That is why ALL companies are required to offer "COBRA" coverage. Yes it can be pricey, but there is the option for the employee to retain insurance coverage at their own expense. If they do not, then that is because they elect not to. It is my understanding from former employees of where you currently work that their insurance coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

At Central a lot has changed over the years, to make it a better place to work. They offer different insurance options. There top insurance is exactually better then went NEMF currently has. But it does cost $20 more per week.

There are two sides here, the down= laid off, you lose your Ins. coverage immediately. The up= If you are classified as a full timer, and work 1 or 5 days in a month you still get to keep your Ins. coverage.
Plus you have coverage for 3 months when your out on your own with disability.

At Central a lot has changed over the years, to make it a better place to work. They offer different insurance options. There top insurance is exactually better then went NEMF currently has. But it does cost $20 more per week.

Does that include NO OVER TIME ?

:clap:All of you should check out the YRC posts. YRC is asking for a 15% wage give back. And it looks like they will go under by the spring of 2009, that's Yellow, Roadway, New Penn, and Holland.
So I ask you now to think twice of what you have at NEMF.

:clap:All of you should check out the YRC posts. YRC is asking for a 15% wage give back. And it looks like they will go under by the spring of 2009, that's Yellow, Roadway, New Penn, and Holland.

Very good point.

Personally I hope YRC doesn't go under. I have friends and relatives of other friends that work for them. Besides, I hate to see anyone lose there job when it's no fault of their own.

yes in deed... nobody should lose their job due to poor management...how some of these guys runs companies is totally beyond belief...it's if when they move up the ladder, they become worse...maybe it's the ties they wear that are to tight that cuts off circulation to the brain..

Where did you get the 15% I work for a YRC company and we don't know what it will be .Making posts like that only fuel the rumors .There are meetings the end of next week and then we all will know..

Where did you get the 15% I work for a YRC company and we don't know what it will be .Making posts like that only fuel the rumors .There are meetings the end of next week and then we all will know..

The 15% came from a Holland TM, in a e-mail to him from YRC

The consummation of the tender offer is not conditioned upon any minimum amount of Notes being tendered, but is conditioned upon the satisfaction or waiver of the conditions set forth in the Offer to Purchase. One such condition is that the employees of subsidiaries of the company represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters who are subject to the National Master Freight Agreement, effective April 1, 2008 through March 31, 2013, shall have ratified an amendment to that agreement regarding a wage reduction. The company is currently discussing with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters a proposal to enter into such an amendment.

Steve mad:popcorn:you seem to be quite informative:popcorn: E-mails from a holland tm :hysterical:Yes there are more meetings between
yrc and the IBT and yes it proberly is a done deal .Meetings from all the locals involved will be on the 3rd and then it will come back to the rank and file..Remember something here, whatever goes down will affect the whole industry,not just YRC

I am just informing you on what I know to be true. I have friends and family who work for YRC, plus a friend who sits on the board of trustees for YRC. I also have a interest in the future of YRC, because of the Pension that I am vested in through the teamsters for
23 years of service.
I am UNION and will DIE UNION. I do not want to see any one give back, and especially lose there job.
I have been in this industry for 30 years, and was with Mc lean trucking,when they went out, after giving back 15% .
I am here to help, in any way I can.

And that post, you commented on was for NEMF guys about lay-offs, and losing their medical benefits, that they should feel lucky that they are not going through mentally, emotionally, and financially what you guys are facing.