R&L | Layoff's

Wow. There was a letter posted yesterday talking about how competition is driving down prices and the economy being slow, that R+L is doing company wide layoffs and those who go will be missed.
I cant imagine them laying anyone off at my terminal, being one of the newer ones out west. One of you said 10 per terminal. That would be almost half our drivers. We already miss pickups now and would hate to see what would happen if we lost even 5 drivers.

I haven't even been here a year, but not to worried. I already have 6 or 7 below me.

They did fire our outbound dock manager, but I think it was more for not routing stops proficiently. I heard they already got someone to replace him.
It's going to be aout 10% per terminal. If you have 100 employees per yard (dock,shop,drivers,office) then about ten employees are sent packing. It's not just going to be all drivers who get laid off. Alot of things play into how many and of what job type get laid off.

What about the temp drivers???

With R+L employees laid off will they continue to use temps??????? And i don't mean combo drivers. I'm talking about the drivers they get from the temp service.

Layoffs are comming R&L people they are happening accross the board so get ready and yes 500 last week and 500 next week. I don't see them laying off any of the YRC scum do you, lets trim that fat, is smells of DEATH anyway why hire people from a screwed up company , what so they can screw us up? They are doing a damn good job of it. We need to go back to R&L carriers waqy of doing thing and let the other companies die off.

The Atlanta number is not confirmed yet. I've heard 17,25,and 39-who knows. There are about 500 people here,so we will be losing a higher number. And to the terminals out west-sit down,you are part of the problem. We were doing REAL good until they tried to expand out west. We ramped up everything to prepare for when California opened up,still waiting for the influx of freight. All of our new trucks went out there and now most of our trucks have over a million miles on them. I thought that when Zimmerman came over here we might get a toe hold in the union controled state,not so. What I thought was a shrewd move by Sr. by bringing him on board has turned into a total melt down. I never thought that I could foresee the end of R&L,but it is happening right before our eyes. We all see what mistakes are being made,but Sr. is sitting back and letting it all happen. I still don't understand how you can throw out a business model that has made you one of the fastest growing and largest trucking companies in America,only to replace it with one that puts the company in the hands of outside carriers. We all know that some freight is not getting delivered because of the outside carriers,does Sr. know or does he not care? I love this company and HIGHLY rerspect all that SR. has done,but I think that it's time to clean house at the top.

teams.we only have a handful left, so hopefully they wont get any of us.but anything is possible.we have noticed a turn back to the company teams the last couple of months. we are running about normal, to almost too much up to a couple of weeks aga. now its down again, but the whole company is also down. and yes, we were doing great until they had to do the west coast. when they opened that up it bacame a huge drain. all the best equiptment, buying terminals and broke trucking companies. the investment was made, but the return is not there, and never will be.too many companies, too many trucks willing to haul cheap just to get home.been that way forever. also too many regulations in california, cost so much more to operate, and major companies are leaving. we are not the only ones hurting on the west coast, all the other carriers are too.the company needs to cut their losses, and get out of the west coast. i feel badly for the employees out there, but the west coast is a big minus on the company books(my thoughts, not any firm evidence).and the other thing is we are R&L Carriers, not yellow.send all the yellow rejects back and start being who we should be.

The Atlanta number is not confirmed yet. I've heard 17,25,and 39-who knows. There are about 500 people here,so we will be losing a higher number. And to the terminals out west-sit down,you are part of the problem. We were doing REAL good until they tried to expand out west. We ramped up everything to prepare for when California opened up,still waiting for the influx of freight. All of our new trucks went out there and now most of our trucks have over a million miles on them. I thought that when Zimmerman came over here we might get a toe hold in the union controled state,not so. What I thought was a shrewd move by Sr. by bringing him on board has turned into a total melt down. I never thought that I could foresee the end of R&L,but it is happening right before our eyes. We all see what mistakes are being made,but Sr. is sitting back and letting it all happen. I still don't understand how you can throw out a business model that has made you one of the fastest growing and largest trucking companies in America,only to replace it with one that puts the company in the hands of outside carriers. We all know that some freight is not getting delivered because of the outside carriers,does Sr. know or does he not care? I love this company and HIGHLY rerspect all that SR. has done,but I think that it's time to clean house at the top.
R+L opened the west coast before the new management. It was R+L's business plan that failed out west. It did not work like it did in the past the west is a whole different game than the rest of the country. Maybe they should have brought those guys in before the expansion out west. You cant expect to open a terminal with ten drivers and promise the world to the customer. Maybe the old rumor does hold some truth, some of the family wanted to stay a small regional carrier and others wanted too go nationwide. Back to the new management I belive they were brought in because of the lack of freight out west,bring in some fresh idea's maybe. Have to give them credit for at least trying something different. On a side note shouldn't there be some new video's of the second quarter meetings???????

Need to clean house and bring in some good ole boys. Bring it back to the renegade days and doing whatever it takes to please your customers. I can't believe that a company with such a bright future is being squandered away. R+L became successful by seperating themselves from the competition. Free lift gate service, fast overnight service, which was possible due to fast trucks and a system not comprised of various satelite terminals adding to the overhead costs. No other LTL carrier was set up this way.
Look through history and every business you see that changes from their core begining strategy will always fail. Sadly enough it always seems that when a business is handed down to family, sons, etc. that did not start it and value the sweat and skills needed to pursue such an endeavour, that business is destroyed. No college degree or experience with another carrier can duplicate what Sr. did.
I can't believe that R+L couldn't develop someone from within to run the organization. Why on earth would you want leadership that was tenured from a failing company (YRC). Hopefully the other regional, family owned LTLs take note. Don't grow too fast, and don't turn your company over to an outsider.
Continue to sour relationships with your employees and customers. People will find other, maybe upstart carriers who will really take care of them like R+L used too. The management team only has to choose where to sink the ship!

:clap::clap: Nice post. :clap::clap:

This is what I heard: Drivers hours to be capped at 9 1/2 hours per day. Full time dock, 7 hours a day, Part time dock 3 hours per day. Customer Service 7 hours a day. Cuts in drivers, dock and customer service through all regions. Also had lay offs in WIL. Got a call from 8 year employee from WIL that he was let go friday (not given a reason). Not sure how many in WIL got the cut. Supposed to be some sort of announcement today.

Our terminal in south bend got hit this morning. They laid off 2 driver, mech, office lady, and dispatcher. Was told by TM more cuts with be coming. And senority doesn't mean anything. Also we are not suppose to work more than 9 hrs a day. If we do, we will be pulled into office to explain why. And if there is no good reason you will be wrote up. They are REALLY dropping the hammer. I have worked for R&L for 9 yrs, and this is the blackest day. I use to feel like I worked for a cpmpany that cared abt the employee. And that we were more than just a number to the roberts family. I always felt that as long as I worked hard, and did my job very well I would have no worries. And I was ALL wrong. The last year and half have been terrible. It feels like Sr is letting ppl run the great company, and the great workers into the ground, and doesn't care. This company was built on the back for some GREAT workers! And for a lot of yrs Sr took care of us. I met him, shook his and, and could tell he was a man that cared abt us employees. Now it feels like he is letting YRC rejects run his dream into the ground and doesn't care. I hope he wakes up VERY soon, and see's the dream he built, is turning into a nightmare for the employee's and family's that are laid off, and losing there jobs over greed

Yeah,excellent people they got in charge at rl!!!

Well,got the hammer in Jax,got it last year as well,then they brought me back.Reinstated my seniority,and vacation time,so now I will be able to cash out some vacation time. Now,with this recent layoff,they have changed the terminology from Economic layoff(last year),to economic termination.I haven't seen if this will affect unemployment,but I was told by the tm that it will affect tenure,and accrued vacation time,so if by some godawful reason,I have to go back to work for them,I will start all over again. Larry Sr. your company is circling the drain,tis the truth. People came to rl because of the service,and what kind of service is people who think the company is against them going to provide?There is my two cents....

R&L CARRIERS-PRIDE IN OUR PEOPLE,PRIDE IN OUR PERFORMANCE=:TR10driving03:

This is what I heard: Drivers hours to be capped at 9 1/2 hours per day. Full time dock, 7 hours a day, Part time dock 3 hours per day. Customer Service 7 hours a day. Cuts in drivers, dock and customer service through all regions. Also had lay offs in WIL. Got a call from 8 year employee from WIL that he was let go friday (not given a reason). Not sure how many in WIL got the cut. Supposed to be some sort of announcement today.
How do they determine who's getting laid off??

For the time being our terminal has just gone to a half hour later start for all drivers and one line haul was eliminated so that was one layoff.Have to wait and see how this effects the freight deliveries.

It was kind of funny today. We lost our feed on the R&L T.V. In the drivers room today. It was like they didn't wanna announce anything