ODFL | Layoffs

It was the regional VPs I was referring to. I fully understand the need to be properly staffed, but I'm pretty sure we were already there. I have to laugh when you ask the driver that gets left home once a week to go hand out cards and ask his buddies to apply. Try explaining your logic to the guy that left a job of 14 years to come here and better himself only to get laid off four months later. If you need standby drivers put more dockworkers through the driving school that are part time. Stop hiring drivers with the promise of full-time employment, at least then they know what they're getting into.

And if you do hire that guy with the promise of full-time employment and you have to lay him off, do the right thing and pay his unemployment and call him back at his seniority spot...

And if you do hire that guy with the promise of full-time employment and you have to lay him off, do the right thing and pay his unemployment and call him back at his seniority spot...
Are we actually laying off drivers now?

I always thought a CDL protected your job at OD. If anything you may work the dock for a time -- but you still have a job.

Figured they were laying off dock guys and bumping some drivers down to the dock.

Are we actually laying off drivers now?

I always thought a CDL protected your job at OD. If anything you may work the dock for a time -- but you still have a job.

Figured they were laying off dock guys and bumping some drivers down to the dock.

I believe I read earlier in this thread GBO and IND have both laid off drivers in the past few weeks.

It was the regional VPs I was referring to. I fully understand the need to be properly staffed, but I'm pretty sure we were already there. I have to laugh when you ask the driver that gets left home once a week to go hand out cards and ask his buddies to apply. Try explaining your logic to the guy that left a job of 14 years to come here and better himself only to get laid off four months later. If you need standby drivers put more dockworkers through the driving school that are part time. Stop hiring drivers with the promise of full-time employment, at least then they know what they're getting into.
If the driver your talking about came from another ltl, they should already know there are no guarantees. This job is all about timing and perseverance. If they need a consistent 40 hours they need to look elsewhere. Nothing about this job is normal.

Well...I doubt it was purely for economic reasons....I bet they were cutting loose some dead weight.

They wouldn't call it a layoff if it were trimming dead weight... I believe my dictionary calls that a firing. No, I believe this was economic. Things aren't all candy canes and roses out here in the trenches.

They wouldn't call it a layoff if it were trimming dead weight... I believe my dictionary calls that a firing. No, I believe this was economic. Things aren't all candy canes and roses out here in the trenches.

They can call it whatever they want -- don't believe everything the media tells you. Laying off would probably be easier and less paper work than classifying it as an actual termination. Who knows -- either way -- we are def a little slow right now.

Guess I should be thankful for being at a small terminal, I haven't noticed it being slow still getting my 55-60 hours every week. Kinda hoping for a little slow down wouldn't mind couple 45-50 hr weeks

City guys in a small yard are definitely more insulated. Also, it's funny how spotty and fickle the freight can be. I Was in HKY yesterday and one of their supervisors told me he's never seen their yard so busy.

Did u read the 1st quarter statement that just came out?

Revenue is up 1.6% YTD vs last year and shipments are + 6.2%

That sound like growth to me

And we're probably up 10% on employees so that wipes out your 6.2%. It also said weight per shipment is down so you can get more smaller shipments on a trailer. I'm down over $1500 on gross earnings year to date so unfortunately I'm not seeing the growth.

Last edited:
And we're probably up 10% on employees so that wipes out your 6.2%. It also said weight per shipment is down so you can get more smaller shipments on a trailer. I'm down over $1500 on gross earnings year to date so unfortunately I'm not seeing the growth.

8.5% more drivers from 12/14 to 12/15

But that's tough to quantify...have to look at line haul routing, avg trailer weight and cubes...serious math there.

I'd say being down 1500 YTD isn't too bad when you can make 300+ in a day.

Also the weight per shipment difference was minimal...and light shipments doesn't usually mean smaller footprint in trailer.