TForce | Leo Suggs Steps Down

nobody said:
Just my 2 cents, but many of you younger fellas might not know that Suggs was the only thing that kept Union Pacific from shutting you down about 10 years ago. O'nite was losing money, morale was at an all time low, and the Teamsters had all but organized you. Suggs came in and turned the place around and UP was able to spin you off rather than close you down. There is a lot of history there and you ought to check it out. I'm sure older hands like KK remember this.

I don't know what has happened recently, but I do know that if it were not for Leo Suggs, there would not have been an Overnite for UPS to buy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not president of the Suggs fan club, but I do think its important to remember the good things he has done.

Whats the deal with the DVD...... for those of us not in the loop. What was it about and why was it so bad?

Nobody remembers the real Leo Suggs.

Not all of us have to thank Leo, I don't need to check out the history.

Skeeter said:
You going to think free at last. Do you know who is stepping in is shoes. Old Gordon you know the one that mailed those anti union DVDs. He is taking his place. So you union want a Be's are going to have a fight.:BinLaden-Cow:

do you seriously believe he wasn't warned already by Big Brown to keep his mouth shut ? cmon now, they forced his boy out. i'm sure they sat his *** down already. he won't be there much longer if he doesn't listen to UPS. they have enough qualified people of their own to run UPSF.

Skeeter said:
You going to think free at last. Do you know who is stepping in is shoes. Old Gordon you know the one that mailed those anti union DVDs. He is taking his place. So you union want a Be's are going to have a fight.:BinLaden-Cow:
Ha Ha Ha Gordon will send out new DVDs..........:shades: Wink Wink Ups will no nothing about.......

Old School said:
Leo gone, Gordon is all that stands between the old "O" and the new UPSF and I don't see him staying around much longer either. Ups already has their man second in command. A little more time and things will really swing into the UPS way of doing things.:Rulz:
When Gordon visited the Indy terminal recently, he stated that he planned to retire within 18 months. UPS is probably just letting him stick it out until their people get adjusted to their new jobs. Any bets on whether M Morgan will leave not long after Gordon?

Johnnybegood said:
Leo Suggs saved Overnite...But i'm not sad he's stepping down...The DVD showed the true meaning of the teamsters and how they used violence to try to organize Overnite....
Yes, but as in a lot of things, it only showed one side of the story. Leo and the Overnite people under his command were guilty of the same things as the Teamsters. There are still lawsuits pending to this day against Overnite for some of their illegal labor practices. But, as I have said many times on these posts, that's history. Let's learn the lesson that those days should have taught us and concentrate on the future.

I've got to disagree that Overnite was guilty of unfair labor..

Overnite the company has never wanted to be organized by the Teamsters union.
A few of their employees requested to be organized.
I believe it was only 22 total terminals out of 120 at the time?

So why would Overnite upper management agree to contract talks with such a small presentage of the company?

The Teamster charged that they weren't willing to bargain with them for a contract with the organized terminals.
And thats the unfair labor practises your claiming against Overnite.
Most of these charges have already been forgotten just because of the nature of why these charges were made.
I'm sure you union posters will take me to task for my opinion.
But I still can't see that Overnite did anything wrong,seeing they never wanted to be organized,and made it known to all that they hired,before they excepted their application to work for them.

Apostolic said:
Overnite the company has never wanted to be organized by the Teamsters union.
A few of their employees requested to be organized.
I believe it was only 22 total terminals out of 120 at the time?

So why would Overnite upper management agree to contract talks with such a small presentage of the company?

The Teamster charged that they weren't willing to bargain with them for a contract with the organized terminals.
And thats the unfair labor practises your claiming against Overnite.
Most of these charges have already been forgotten just because of the nature of why these charges were made.
I'm sure you union posters will take me to task for my opinion.
But I still can't see that Overnite did anything wrong,seeing they never wanted to be organized,and made it known to all that they hired,before they excepted their application to work for them.
I'm sure Leo and his boys didn't do anything wrong when they paid the guy $5000.00 to vandalize fellow employees vehicles and homes and then blame it on union supporters? That lawsuit still has not been settled. You are still missing the point. That was the past. Overnite and it's ways don't exist anymore. UPS Freight is the future and whether we go union or not is not up to Leo, Gordon, or the Teamsters. It's up to the employees. Granted, not everyone wants it, but as always the majority rules. I guess time will tell what the majority is.

Its hard for me to believe Leo is just 4 years older than me?

In all his pictures he looks like he's in his 70's,also Gordon looks like he's older?

I know that when Leo came to Overnite during the railroad years he was coming to either straighten the LTL trucking out,or liquidate the company.
His nick name when he came on board,was the liquidator.
Coming from failed LTL's such as Rider Pie,and Preston.

But as it turns out he was UP's best answer for turning the buisness into a money maker.
After all UP bought Overnite from our founder for 1.4 Billion and they sure didn't want to loose a lot of that investment.

The rail road thought they'd intergate trucking with rail but they could only relate to rail head,to rail head,and had no idea of how to deal with dock,to dock,or dock to door of freight customers.
Thus Leo S. a freight man.
And the rest we say is history.

walk in the park

Johnnybegood said:
Why so all you union guys can sway the vote..No thank you.........:puke:
DY, don't look now but a lot of people coming in the door are card carrying members. :bananapowerslide: The way things are going it will be a walk in the park. :waycool:

UnionTrucka said:
do you seriously believe he wasn't warned already by Big Brown to keep his mouth shut ? cmon now, they forced his boy out. i'm sure they sat his *** down already. he won't be there much longer if he doesn't listen to UPS. they have enough qualified people of their own to run UPSF.

I hope you are right time will tell.

concerned citizen said:
I'm sure Leo and his boys didn't do anything wrong when they paid the guy $5000.00 to vandalize fellow employees vehicles and homes and then blame it on union supporters? That lawsuit still has not been settled. You are still missing the point. That was the past. Overnite and it's ways don't exist anymore. UPS Freight is the future and whether we go union or not is not up to Leo, Gordon, or the Teamsters. It's up to the employees. Granted, not everyone wants it, but as always the majority rules. I guess time will tell what the majority is.

That is something that the teamsters would do. You can sit at that keyboard and type till you are blue in the face.I or most of the majority Overnite people don't believe that

That is however more consistent of the teamsters.

And the courts didn't believe it either. Oh I guess Overnite paid them off to.

Apostolic said:
In all his pictures he looks like he's in his 70's,also Gordon looks like he's older?

I know that when Leo came to Overnite during the railroad years he was coming to either straighten the LTL trucking out,or liquidate the company.
His nick name when he came on board,was the liquidator.
Coming from failed LTL's such as Rider Pie,and Preston.

But as it turns out he was UP's best answer for turning the buisness into a money maker.
After all UP bought Overnite from our founder for 1.4 Billion and they sure didn't want to loose a lot of that investment.

The rail road thought they'd intergate trucking with rail but they could only relate to rail head,to rail head,and had no idea of how to deal with dock,to dock,or dock to door of freight customers.
Thus Leo S. a freight man.
And the rest we say is history.

You are right AP. We were going down by those UP bean counters. We were not the first the railroad has run in the ground. I've always in the past thought CE Os were way over paid. But Leo deserved every penny he got. Like you I was here to see it.

wassesname said:
Skeeter.. why don't you just hang his portrate over your fireplace?

I'll bet real money you weren't there when Suggs came in (back). Look, you and everyone else may have legitimate reasons for hating him, but the point I was trying to make, and what others have backed up is this; UP was going to shut Overnite down because they were tired of screwing with the union and the attitudes and owning a sho' nuff money looser. Suggs came in, shut the union down, and made the company into a money maker.

Anybody besides me remember when UP had to withdraw their IPO for O'nite because no one was interested?

Suggs may very well be a hateful, awful, wife beating *****. But, give the devil his due, I promise you, that if he had not stepped in there would be no Overnite.

Nobody remembers.

Skeeter said:
That is something that the teamsters would do. You can sit at that keyboard and type till you are blue in the face.I or most of the majority Overnite people don't believe that

That is however more consistent of the teamsters.

And the courts didn't believe it either. Oh I guess Overnite paid them off to.
Skeeter,
As much as I hate returning to the past, let me make something crystal clear. I've never claimed that the Teamsters were some kind of innocent, virginal organization that has never done anything wrong. BOTH sides of that strike did some evil things in the name of doing what was right for them. But you know what? Overnite and the Teamsters both survived, and the only ones who really suffered were the guys and gals who were out there putting everything on that line standing up for what they believed in. If anyone wants to keep living in the past and stay a prejudiced, ignorant person, I totally honor that right, but don't think for a minute that someone is not going to force both sides of the story out in the open. I know way too many people who lost virtually everything they had-their homes, their cars, even their marriages during that strike, and both Overnite and the Teamsters are to blame for that. Nothing can or will ever make up for what happened to those people. We can't change the past. All we can do is try to make our present and future the best we can. The only way we can do that is to research our options and make a well-informed decision.
I'm stepping down from my soap box now.