XPO | LHG Harlingen TX Rejects Teamsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol
Hopefully you will revise it again to "not lightening fast".
Units from both Conway and FedEx just petitioned and were awarded a vote by the NLRB in the last week.
Are you going to argue that successful organizational efforts are not taking place as we speak?
If you did not fear union success, then why would you be wasting your time on here trying to stop those organizational efforts?
If you are right, then consider another hobby outside of truckingboards.com.
If you are wrong then of course you will want to protect your loyal and beloved corporation. But please bring better arguments to the table.
Sit down. BYOB and go ahead and smoke the vegetable matter of your choice. Smoking doesn't bother me.

I'm just watching you guys with amusement, getting all worked up over nothing.

Success for the union would equal a contract, nothing less. That's why the organizing attempt at Overnite was a failure.

And a contract is not happening at Con-Way, mark my words. I said it here first. We'll see decerts before that.

Here's a revelation; people are human. Everywhere you go there are humans. They're not perfect and if I did not accept that in my life, I would live a paralyzing existence.
That being said, I am rocksolid in my decision that the union is our only corrective action against a publicly held corporation that has made it crystal clear; ethics and loyalty are a distasteful option.
And corrective action is necessary.
This is an intelligent, truthful response. I see no reason to "have at it", we can post back & forth all day about corrupt union officials vs. corrupt corporations and the end result, which I think that we can agree on now, people who get money and power are more easily corrupted, greedy, etc.

Union may be your option, providing your coworkers are on the same page as you. You will not have a voice in the union if you are the minority. For me, I'm surrounded by narrow minded, immature kids. At first glance, it's a typical terminal. You have the really good employees, you have the really bad ones and the bulk are average people who do their jobs. Just like 99% of jobs out there. Also, like most other places, the loudest complaints and problems come from those few bottom of the barrel guys. The top few are "seasoned" guys 40 years old + that have good heads on their shoulders, the bottom few are under 30 years old. The big difference in my barn is there is not a good mix of average guys. The majority of average workers are under 30 and easily swayed to think like other guys their age and we're just grumpy old men stuck in the past in their eyes. So our majority is very bottom of the barrel mentality. A union will not give me a voice, I'm a minority.

Here's the mentality. They took the pension plan, us older guys complained (but the 401K enhancements actually worked out better for me anyway). Very little noise from the younger crowd. When they stopped 401K contributions, again, very little noise from the young guys. Us older guys had more to say about that, but the newbs told us that it is what it is just deal with it. We heard very little from those guys until the healthcare started creeping up. We heard nothing of the lesser quality health care, it was the fact that they had to pay for it at all. Since I opt out (my wife has very good insurance), I got to take a poke back, just deal with it, it is what it is. The union talk came with the pay cuts, the complaining got way out of hand to the point of hurting productivity and an increase in damages.

The moral of the story is that my complaints (in the eyes of the majority of my coworkers) were insignificant until it directly hurt their pockets on payday. The future is not important to them. Narrow minded and stubborn does not make a good union. This is the no compromise, go in strike for any reason type of mentality. I union will not help me. Sorry, but I've learned to take my retirement into my own hands to insure my future. Neither Con-way or the Teamsters can guarantee that for me.

I see a huge resistance from Con-way. There is no contract as of yet, it may or may not happen, but I cannot see Con-way making separate rules for a few union service centers. I cannot predict the future, but I can predict that it will be very interesting to say the least.

This is an intelligent, truthful response. I see no reason to "have at it", we can post back & forth all day about corrupt union officials vs. corrupt corporations and the end result, which I think that we can agree on now, people who get money and power are more easily corrupted, greedy, etc.

Union may be your option, providing your coworkers are on the same page as you. You will not have a voice in the union if you are the minority. For me, I'm surrounded by narrow minded, immature kids. At first glance, it's a typical terminal. You have the really good employees, you have the really bad ones and the bulk are average people who do their jobs. Just like 99% of jobs out there. Also, like most other places, the loudest complaints and problems come from those few bottom of the barrel guys. The top few are "seasoned" guys 40 years old + that have good heads on their shoulders, the bottom few are under 30 years old. The big difference in my barn is there is not a good mix of average guys. The majority of average workers are under 30 and easily swayed to think like other guys their age and we're just grumpy old men stuck in the past in their eyes. So our majority is very bottom of the barrel mentality. A union will not give me a voice, I'm a minority.

Here's the mentality. They took the pension plan, us older guys complained (but the 401K enhancements actually worked out better for me anyway). Very little noise from the younger crowd. When they stopped 401K contributions, again, very little noise from the young guys. Us older guys had more to say about that, but the newbs told us that it is what it is just deal with it. We heard very little from those guys until the healthcare started creeping up. We heard nothing of the lesser quality health care, it was the fact that they had to pay for it at all. Since I opt out (my wife has very good insurance), I got to take a poke back, just deal with it, it is what it is. The union talk came with the pay cuts, the complaining got way out of hand to the point of hurting productivity and an increase in damages.

The moral of the story is that my complaints (in the eyes of the majority of my coworkers) were insignificant until it directly hurt their pockets on payday. The future is not important to them. Narrow minded and stubborn does not make a good union. This is the no compromise, go in strike for any reason type of mentality. I union will not help me. Sorry, but I've learned to take my retirement into my own hands to insure my future. Neither Con-way or the Teamsters can guarantee that for me.

I see a huge resistance from Con-way. There is no contract as of yet, it may or may not happen, but I cannot see Con-way making separate rules for a few union service centers. I cannot predict the future, but I can predict that it will be very interesting to say the least.
You seem to have a very high opinion of yourself by the way you categorize your coworkers....

Actually, don't the union leaders do the exact same thing? Didn't Hoffa promise to cap officers pay at 150,000/year? How many have passed that? How much does Hoffa make and how did he weasel around the teamsters constitution to get it? Unions are a business, they have there own "Fat Cats". It kind of the pot calling the kettle black.

If company greed is an argument for a union, then there needs to be a union for the union members to protect them from the union greed.

Old and grumpy maybe, but I see the work ethic in this country going down hill fast.

I am happy to hear the voice of an actual Con-way driver. Very glad these outsiders haven't scared you away from posting. The way they jump on people chases many away.

This movement is brand new. A year ago, I would have said there was not a chance in hell the union could petition the NLRB. A year from now, who knows.......
And be aware that we need the union for what we don't know what will happen down the road...in one year. Just because you are in superior financial shape does not mean they will not continue to systematically and surgically remove total compensation or benefits you care about. I NEVER thought the corporation would take our pension, or a years vacation, etc. Now nothing would surprise me. You really don't know if you need the union until you need the union, and then it's too late.
We needed the union in 2005 BEFORE the pension was removed. We should have realized we needed the union in 1995 when they removed healthcare insurance from our retirement. As usual, only a few vocalized displeasure, paralyzed by fear, so those that did were considered isolated malcontents.
Be patient. This will happen if we want it to. And it would be easier with your help.
Thank you for your kind words.

I am happy to hear the voice of an actual Con-way driver. Very glad these outsiders haven't scared you away from posting. The way they jump on people chases many away.
LOL. What makes you think he works here? You and beerfd said I don't work here. Yeah, you guys were grasping then.
Oh, LMAO, were you happy Runnawaytrain was posting here? We know he doesn't work here.
You ARE consistently inconsistent.

I'm just watching you guys with amusement, getting all worked up over nothing.

Success for the union would equal a contract, nothing less. That's why the organizing attempt at Overnite was a failure.

And a contract is not happening at Con-Way, mark my words. I said it here first. We'll see decerts before that.

No you are not the first to say that. But you never would have said that a year ago. Who'd a thought we could vote the union in????
Be patient and try to keep an open mind.

This movement is brand new. A year ago, I would have said there was not a chance in hell the union could petition the NLRB. A year from now, who knows.......
And be aware that we need the union for what we don't know what will happen down the road...in one year. Just because you are in superior financial shape does not mean they will not continue to systematically and surgically remove total compensation or benefits you care about. I NEVER thought the corporation would take our pension, or a years vacation, etc. Now nothing would surprise me. You really don't know if you need the union until you need the union, and then it's too late.
We needed the union in 2005 BEFORE the pension was removed. We should have realized we needed the union in 1995 when they removed healthcare insurance from our retirement. As usual, only a few vocalized displeasure, paralyzed by fear, so those that did were considered isolated malcontents.
Be patient. This will happen if we want it to. And it would be easier with your help.
Thank you for your kind words.
I may not be as old and grumpy as I thought, I started in 1997, so wasn't around for the 1995 change. Were people really afraid to speak up? Or were they just not thinking about the future? I do know that I do not "need" the union. I have prepared for worst case scenerio and I'll be fine. Best case scenerio is I retire, live a good life and have a good chunk of change to leave my kids. I wont deny that there is a posiblity that a union could improve things, but that is not a sure thing, it could also make things worse.

As I said before, I'm not ani-union. I believe there needs to be a union presence in this country to keep big corporations in check, but I also believe that a non-union workforce is needed to keep workers in check. Poor work ethic and a disire for the union means that they want to protect their lazyness. That's not good for the union or employer. In the late 90's, I seen the work ethic at Con-way better than average, that would have made a strong union. Today, it's below average at best, at least in my area, I can't speak for the whole company, only what I see. Poor work ethic makes for a weak union.

What kind of contract would Con-way sign, if any? Would they sign something that gives union workers anything over the rest of the company? I say absolutely not, they would only promote more union activity.

I may not be as old and grumpy as I thought, I started in 1997, so wasn't around for the 1995 change. Were people really afraid to speak up? Or were they just not thinking about the future? I do know that I do not "need" the union. I have prepared for worst case scenerio and I'll be fine. Best case scenerio is I retire, live a good life and have a good chunk of change to leave my kids. I wont deny that there is a posiblity that a union could improve things, but that is not a sure thing, it could also make things worse.

As I said before, I'm not ani-union. I believe there needs to be a union presence in this country to keep big corporations in check, but I also believe that a non-union workforce is needed to keep workers in check. Poor work ethic and a disire for the union means that they want to protect their lazyness. That's not good for the union or employer. In the late 90's, I seen the work ethic at Con-way better than average, that would have made a strong union. Today, it's below average at best, at least in my area, I can't speak for the whole company, only what I see. Poor work ethic makes for a weak union.

What kind of contract would Con-way sign, if any? Would they sign something that gives union workers anything over the rest of the company? I say absolutely not, they would only promote more union activity.
Lazy on both sides, union has nothing to do with that. If they want to get rid of you they will, I wil say that you have a much better chance of getting your job back with the Union if you have a accident ....

LOL. What makes you think he works here? You and beerfd said I don't work here. Yeah, you guys were grasping then.
Oh, LMAO, were you happy Runnawaytrain was posting here? We know he doesn't work here.
You ARE consistently inconsistent.

Link it. I don't recall that. But to be honest. I don't believe anyone is who they say they are on here, other than those I have met in real life.

Runawaytrain is staff. Your implying that the site staff shouldn't be able to participate with the site, it's operations or it's content is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.