FedEx Freight | Listen to the Anti Union Guys, PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we go apply and accept a job under certain terms, all is well... Until the terms are CHANGED.

Would you be content if the terms reverted back to what they were when you hired on? Either relative to other non-Unions or inflation?

SwampRatt said:
Also, lets remember, this most recent discussion began, in order to show that even with significant gains for the drivers, the effect on the Company bottom line would not be as severe as some have indicated.

I don't know how severe some have indicated it would be. You were the first one I recall attempting to put a reasonable number on it...I'm not sure I agree yet ;) My guesstimates say a 10% wage increase along with health care and pension benefits somewhere between ABF and UPS levels will move the needle more than 2%. Maybe not. I'm still interested in learning how much ABF and UPS contribute. Granted FedEx is "contributing" something now, but we can probably agree it's likely not a whole lot relatively speaking. Then add on the more restrictive work rules and you'll know why FedEx is fighting so vehemently. It is not that you don't deserve a fair days' wage for a fair days' work....it's quantifying what that means.

Maybe because the original terms have changed from when the original agreement was made? Maybe because a number of employees would like the next offer to be in writing and legally binding? Working under contract is good enough for the executives. Why not the workers then?

Really? As a driver and small business owner I assure you I see things differently.

If that's how you feel you should get an attorney or go to the labor board and show them the contract you signed when you were hired stating the agreement communicated between you and your employer. With any luck they (your employer) can take back anything they gave that went over and beyond what they originally agreed upon. You however then can charge your employer for any services you provided over and beyond what you had originally agreed to provide.

I would be curious to see who out performed their side of that bargain

...and what are the employer contribution rates for ABF? UPS?

The pension contribution for ABF is just shy of $7 and hour for every hour worked up to 2080 hours in the WSPT. Out in the west we have a PEER 80 early retirement provision. Years of service plus your age and you may retire out as early as 25 years with no early retirement penalties. Their health insurance ranges between $1100-1500 per month depending on where you live in the country. 1250-1300 seems to be the standard. They have a 401k through the Teamsters they may contribute to.
The insurance for UPSF employees is around $1300 a month. They have different plans to choose from and the employees contribute a small amount to this each month. Well below $100 from what I gathered from our BA. The UPSF company pension. Their pension will take a little math. This is moving forward from now. Not in the past mind you with all the long time employees. $105 per month times 1.725 times years of service divided by 12. They also have a non match Teamster UPS 401k they can contribute to. They have early retirement provisions as early as 25 years of service at 55 years of age.
YRC in this area has insurance in the $1250 range and we have a little over $2 an hour contributed to The Teamster Nation 401k.

Really? As a driver and small business owner I assure you I see things differently.

If that's how you feel you should get an attorney or go to the labor board and show them the contract you signed when you were hired stating the agreement communicated between you and your employer. With any luck they (your employer) can take back anything they gave that went over and beyond what they originally agreed upon. You however then can charge your employer for any services you provided over and beyond what you had originally agreed to provide.

There was no contract signed. They are at will with a verbal agreement. This is why many would like to have it in writing now.

Thanks for the numbers 222lifer.

In a nutshell:

ABF is contributing $7/hr and approximately $1275/mo for pension and health insurance. ($29,860/year)
UPSF (for a 15 year man) is contributing $226/mo and about 1300/mo for pension and health insurance. ($18,312/year)

Averaging ABF and UPSF and we are at $24,086. Adding $2.50/hr is another $5200 without O/T, another 10% more in employer taxes as well.

All said and done probably somewhere close to an additional $30K/year per employee cost x 20,000 drivers = $600,000,000.
That puts them 300MM in the hole.

There was no contract signed. They are at will with a verbal agreement. This is why many would like to have it in writing now.

That is typically how it works. Every week or bi weekly you accept a paycheck for the services you rendered. Both you and the employer are even. Cycle repeats.

But now you want a middle man where one doesn't exist. Your asking for more from the company. I have to ask what is changing from your side (the employee) that warrants the increase in pay/benefits etc? Promise to be safer, no I'm sure your already a safe driver. Harder worker, no I don't doubt your a hard worker.

Not saying that there shouldn't be adjustments made to salary and benefits along the way that sill keep up with inflation. Just curious what you have to offer the company in to return.

In a nutshell:

ABF is contributing $7/hr and approximately $1275/mo for pension and health insurance. ($29,860/year)
UPSF (for a 15 year man) is contributing $226/mo and about 1300/mo for pension and health insurance. ($18,312/year)

Averaging ABF and UPSF and we are at $24,086. Adding $2.50/hr is another $5200 without O/T, another 10% more in employer taxes as well.

All said and done probably somewhere close to an additional $30K/year per employee cost x 20,000 drivers = $600,000,000.

You never disappoint.

The pension contribution for ABF is just shy of $7 and hour for every hour worked up to 2080 hours in the WSPT. Out in the west we have a PEER 80 early retirement provision. Years of service plus your age and you may retire out as early as 25 years with no early retirement penalties. Their health insurance ranges between $1100-1500 per month depending on where you live in the country. 1250-1300 seems to be the standard. They have a 401k through the Teamsters they may contribute to.
The insurance for UPSF employees is around $1300 a month. They have different plans to choose from and the employees contribute a small amount to this each month. Well below $100 from what I gathered from our BA. The UPSF company pension. Their pension will take a little math. This is moving forward from now. Not in the past mind you with all the long time employees. $105 per month times 1.725 times years of service divided by 12. They also have a non match Teamster UPS 401k they can contribute to. They have early retirement provisions as early as 25 years of service at 55 years of age.
YRC in this area has insurance in the $1250 range and we have a little over $2 an hour contributed to The Teamster Nation 401k.

So your saying that health care premiums in your area of the country average 1250-1300 a month. Does that include any additional life insurance, dental, and vision.

That is typically how it works. Every week or bi weekly you accept a paycheck for the services you rendered. Both you and the employer are even. Cycle repeats.

But now you want a middle man where one doesn't exist. Your asking for more from the company. I have to ask what is changing from your side (the employee) that warrants the increase in pay/benefits etc? Promise to be safer, no I'm sure your already a safe driver. Harder worker, no I don't doubt your a hard worker.

Not saying that there shouldn't be adjustments made to salary and benefits along the way that sill keep up with inflation. Just curious what you have to offer the company in to return.
Nothing changed with what the workers had to offer. The same loyal, dedicated work force. Dutifully carrying out the daily tasks they are assigned to do. Just like what was agreed upon. Something changed for the company though. Adjustments to salary were negative along with increased cost on their healthcare with diminishing coverage. Their pension promises evaporated. No increases. Decreases. Many of the workers thought the company discounted the value of their employees right along with their compensation.

So your saying that health care premiums in your area of the country average 1250-1300 a month. Does that include any additional life insurance, dental, and vision.
Health, vision, dental. Top tier coverage with low deductible. The member pays no premium for this coverage. Additional life insurance is available at very low cost. For instance, I had a crown procedure recently and my out of pocket was $15 for that. A pulp cap was needed that wasn't included. I have another filling repair and crown procedure scheduled for mid December to take advantage of my remaining benefits for the year. My cost? Nothing.

Health, vision, dental. Top tier coverage with low deductible. The member pays no premium for this coverage. Additional life insurance is available at very low cost. For instance, I had a crown procedure recently and my out of pocket was $15 for that. A pulp cap was needed that wasn't included. I have another filling repair and crown procedure scheduled for mid December to take advantage of my remaining benefits for the year. My cost? Nothing.
In our previous post you were saying health care coverage was 1250-1300 a month now your saying you pay nothing so wich is it.

Retiree pays around $600.00 a month for health insurance in the West.
Active employees pay nothing for Health, vision ,dental and reduced cost for pills.
Small co-pay under $40.00

OK, OK! I give up! They did INCREASE the annual STEEL TOE SHOE reimbursement, by $20/year. I guess I'll have to give that back. Somebody said we have to give up something. So THERE! :cool:

In our previous post you were saying health care coverage was 1250-1300 a month now your saying you pay nothing so wich is it.
If you would scroll back a little further, you would see that that is the cost of insurance that the company pays the premiums on.

In a nutshell:

Hold on, let's settle down for just minute!

1) Without the figures on what FedEx is contributing CURRENTLY to our benefit package, we don't really know how much of an increase would be necessary to achieve parity with the union guys. I don't seem to have my copy of the statement touting the total compensation cost that fedex pays. 401k, insurance, pension etc. BUT I seem to recall the bottom line being about 30% more than my gross. I could be off a little bit. But it included every thing

2)The 10% increase across the board I spoke of, which would cost the Company around 2.5%, would be on that 30% higher "total amount". Now then, if most of that gain were funneled into insurance, and or retirement, we could probably get close to the goals many seek.

Again, without the breakdown of our current compensation package, we are speculating. But we do KNOW there is significant room for improvement. And that 2.5% cost would still put us 5-17% below the competition, listed below. STILL an advantage for FedEx.
wagescorrected.jpg

Hold on, let's settle down for just minute!

1) Without the figures on what FedEx is contributing CURRENTLY to our benefit package, we don't really know how much of an increase would be necessary to achieve parity with the union guys. I don't seem to have my copy of the statement touting the total compensation cost that fedex pays. 401k, insurance, pension etc. BUT I seem to recall the bottom line being about 30% more than my gross. I could be off a little bit. But it included every thing

2)The 10% increase across the board I spoke of, which would cost the Company around 2.5%, would be on that 30% higher "total amount". Now then, if most of that gain were funneled into insurance, and or retirement, we could probably get close to the goals many seek.

Again, without the breakdown of our current compensation package, we are speculating. But we do KNOW there is significant room for improvement. And that 2.5% cost would still put us 5-17% below the competition, listed below. STILL an advantage for FedEx.
wagescorrected.jpg
There is room to manuver. Heaven forbid those at the top take a thinner slice of the pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.