FedEx Freight | Listen to the Anti Union Guys, PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... Considering the current level of support, and the fact that no one wants to cripple the company, this is my rough estimate:

If we we were to gain 10% across the board, that would be roughly a $2.50/hour raise (based on a rough average of $25/hr), Plus 10% additional benefits. Benefits include, insurance, pension, etc.

Now, considering the fact that ALL Salaries and employee benefits make up 42.5% of revenue, that 10% would only raise cost about 4.25%. Stay with me, we'are not done yet!

Now consider the fact that Drivers do not make up the whole of that figure, we have to reduce the percentage of cost, by an appropriate amount factoring out "other" Salaries and employee benefits. Here is where the numbers become "rough estimates". I can only use my center as an average. Drivers at my center, make up about 60% of the entire workforce. Note, I'm being conservative, as I'm not even factoring in the "unseen" support employees at corporate offices, etc. that would not be part of this negotiation nor executives.

Now then, that 10% increase, only affecting 60% (or less) of the workforce would equal a 2.55% increase in total cost, as a percent of revenue.

Those numbers are not static. They change monthly/quarterly/annually and subjective to many variables. To simply say that a company would only see a 2% to 3% increase in operating cost is a little more than a "rough estimate".

From your analogy I woukd say if your averaging $25 an hour your already on the high end. A lot of companies paying much less than that with worse working conditions.

Those numbers are not static. They change monthly/quarterly/annually and subjective to many variables. To simply say that a company would only see a 2% to 3% increase in operating cost is a little more than a "rough estimate".

From your analogy I woukd say if your averaging $25 an hour your already on the high end. A lot of companies paying much less than that with worse working conditions.

My numbers are, in fact, as close to "static" as they can possibly be. They are numbers using annual reports going back 12 years, showing a consistent and continued trend. Want me to post them, again?

As far as $25 used as an average, some make $26+, I make $23.68. The conservative average was for demonstration purposes only. Again, the numbers I provided are conservative and the reality would likely equate to an even lesser cost to the Company, as a % of revenue.

Last edited:
No, most no voters don't believe in redistribution of wealth. We're not wealth envy! The
Mmy numbers are, in fact, as close to "static" as they can possibly be. They are numbers using annual reports going back 12 years, showing a consistent and continued trend. Want me to post them, again?

As far as $25 used as an average, some make $26+, I make $23.68. The conservative average was for demonstration purposes only. Again, the numbers I provided are conservative and the reality would likely equate to an even lesser cost to the Company, as a % of revenue.

With the national median income being at $51K annually for a commercial truck driver it seems that your are compensated right in line for your profession. Although I would think it is safe to say your gross is higher than the $51K average. That is not to say you did not earn every penny. I am just confused as to how we as employees go to a company, apply for a job, accept the terms and then go back and say this is not fair.

Thanks for the explanation SwampRatt.

Just wondered how high your pie-in-the-sky was. I don't believe a 10% hourly wage would be an unreasonable estimate. I don't think it's likely, but certainly not unreasonable.

It's the insurance benefits and pension costs where I think your numbers might be a bit off.

What are the current employer contribution rates at ABF and UPS?

I know what it would cost us to provide such a benefit package (healthcare and pension) to our employees. It would be a lot more than 20% of their salary, but then we don't have the buying power.

With the national median income being at $51K annually for a commercial truck driver it seems that your are compensated right in line for your profession. Although I would think it is safe to say your gross is higher than the $51K average. That is not to say you did not earn every penny. I am just confused as to how we as employees go to a company, apply for a job, accept the terms and then go back and say this is not fair.

Your job and his job within the same company is totally different, sounds like maybe your one of the controlling factors!!!

Thanks for the explanation SwampRatt.

Just wondered how high your pie-in-the-sky was. I don't believe a 10% hourly wage would be an unreasonable estimate. I don't think it's likely, but certainly not unreasonable.

It's the insurance benefits and pension costs where I think your numbers might be a bit off.

What are the current employer contribution rates at ABF and UPS?

I know what it would cost us to provide such a benefit package (healthcare and pension) to our employees. It would be a lot more than 20% of their salary, but then we don't have the buying power.
Ex, let's not forget, that 10% increase example would be in TOTAL compensation amount. It wouldn't all have to go into hourly/mileage rates. The $2.50 example was for evenly dividing accross all comp. Areas. It could go toward pension,insurance, retiree healthcare, in portions to be determined.

To help that discussion, we need the current figures, which I don't have off the top of my head. I may have a printout of total comp. from the company in a file somewhere. That would help to provide real dollar amounts on what 10% really is.

I'll agree that 10% is unlikely enough to get every wish on the list funded, it may be enough to fund most, while being reasonable.

Ex, let's not forget, that 10% increase example would be in TOTAL compensation amount. It wouldn't all have to go into hourly/mileage rates. The $2.50 example was for evenly dividing accross all comp. Areas. It could go toward pension,insurance, retiree healthcare, in portions to be determined.

To help that discussion, we need the current figures, which I don't have off the top of my head. I may have a printout of total comp. from the company in a file somewhere. That would help to provide real dollar amounts on what 10% really is.

I'll agree that 10% is unlikely enough to get every wish on the list funded, it may be enough to fund most, while being reasonable.

Keeping in mind that the Teamster's bring buying power into the mix in regards to your health benefits. I'm quite sure the reduction in cost for the company would be substantial. You may be able to increase your wish list.

Go back to sleep driver your to far gone to debate facts like declining benefits. Pay is only one of the smaller reasons to organize.

...but then we don't have the buying power.

Keeping in mind that the Teamster's bring buying power into the mix in regards to your health benefits.

Which is why I mentioned that we don't have that buying power.

What are the ABF and UPS contribution rates? That would give us a better understanding of just how much a 10% raise, medical insurance and pensions similar to UPS would cost FedEx.

Which is why I mentioned that we don't have that buying power.

What are the ABF and UPS contribution rates? That would give us a better understanding of just how much a 10% raise, medical insurance and pensions similar to UPS would cost FedEx.
Yes I have those figures

If the company is making bigger profits why shouldn't the employees that made the money for them not want just a little of it. No one is saying they should make as much as upper management, they just feel they should get more than what they're making. If it's what the market dictates then why are you making less than other companies.
Not just more in wages.Workers want something more concrete.The corporate pig can give you something one day.Then take it back the next.Rules changing to fit the corporate pigs fancy.

Maybe because the original terms have changed from when the original agreement was made? Maybe because a number of employees would like the next offer to be in writing and legally binding? Working under contract is good enough for the executives. Why not the workers then?

Please truth monster, wake me up to the things I am missing. What are the larger reasons other than pay and benefits.

You were talking about pay now you added in benefits which is one of the main topics like declining health care, along with poor retirement. Not to mention one of the largest issues having a contract with rules set in stone and not being a at will employee. And all this time poor fed ex is making record profits and giving monumental bonuses to upper level management. Not to mention wasting money on all this stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedExForum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedExField
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Cup
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/spor...ny-Hamlin-close-to-Gibbs-extension/55866820/1

Again Crazy Trucker, how do you know those corporate sponsorships and naming rights are wastes of money? What was their ROI on those things?

When we go apply and accept a job under certain terms, all is well... Until the terms are CHANGED. Insurance was free, then it wasn't. Then it cost more and more for the same coverage. Then it cost more for LESS COVERAGE. Are you seeing the pattern?

Also, when hired, wages were "top shelf" for a non-union carrier. That also changed. We are NOT the top tier non-union carrier any longer. Combine the higher insurance costs, with wages that (in many areas) have not kept up with the competition, leads us to a situation where the net return, is lower than it was, especially when inflation is factored in. Apparently you don't see this...

As far as $51K annually for a commercial truck driver, to get that figure, you must combine all facets of the industry, from local movers, auto parts delivery, new OTR trainees all the way to doubles/triples/Haz-mat, and even Oversize load haulers. A median income of 51k means, half make more, half make less.

For this conversation, it's best to keep comparisons limited to Qualified LTL drivers. And not the industry as a whole.

Also, lets remember, this most recent discussion began, in order to show that even with significant gains for the drivers, the effect on the Company bottom line would not be as severe as some have indicated. Deflecting the discussion into the area of median incomes does not change the originally posted facts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.