FedEx Freight | Losing Your Job

I don't think any of the Watkins drivers will lose there jobs. Unless they work in a small terminal. We will just have to wait and see.

Now won't we!!!!!!!

Gator said:
I don't think any of the Watkins drivers will lose there jobs. Unless they work in a small terminal. We will just have to wait and see.

Now won't we!!!!!!!

wouldnt it be easier for fedex to asorb the employees of a small terminal,rather than a break bulk.

i dont know hammerhead,i'm thinking about hiring back on part-time at a very small terminal and i'm sort of scared about quiting my steady job although it dosn't pay all that great.i believe i will wait a couple of days and see whats going to happen with the fedex thing if it happens at all...

How about this....How many service centers does WML own vs how many do they lease? That will probably be the big factor. If you have an FedEx center property that is being leased vs. a WML center property that is OWNED....Chances are they will move to the OWNED property to save money. When AF and Viking had overlap that's what they did at a few centers.

fr8rookie said:
If the rumors are true how many employees from WML may lose their jobs. No one has talked about that.
I think FedEx will not get rid of ANY people at Watkins. There may be some who have to re-locate or change job classification, but if FedEx does indeed buy Watkins, you can bet that they will do everything in their power to prevent hardship. I keep hearing how great the Watkins family is. I am confident that they have made sure that associates are taken care of. I also would bet that the offices in Lakeland will be safe. There may be a change in what the people do there, but I bet they will keep their jobs. The owners at Watkins will probably be granted positions on the board of directors at FedEx. This will give employees of Watkins extra assurance that they will not be CAST AWAY.

With the driver shortage that we are in the midst of nobody will have to worry about a job.

PERIOD.

The people who will have to worry are the clerks, adminstration people, the corporate paper pushers. That stuff can be, as Bill Zoallrs says, synergized. Drivers for the most part cannot.

If for some reason some Watkins guys get let go there are plenty of other outfits looking for drivers that they will have their pick of the litter.

Try not to sweat it, you cannot do anything about, except be prerpared

Why in the world does anybody think IF Fedex buys them they will get rid of their employees?

I would bet that IF bought, it would take two years before anything even changed at Watkins.

If Watkins were a in the red money losing company I would say Yes, But they are a very sound company with a good operating ratio.
Do you actually think FEDEX is dumb enough top dissolve a profitible business?
I didn't think so

the keyword is IF

Friend of the frog said:
With the driver shortage that we are in the midst of nobody will have to worry about a job.

PERIOD.

The people who will have to worry are the clerks, adminstration people, the corporate paper pushers. That stuff can be, as Bill Zoallrs says, synergized. Drivers for the most part cannot.

If for some reason some Watkins guys get let go there are plenty of other outfits looking for drivers that they will have their pick of the litter.

Their is no driver shortage in america FOTF , there is a shortage of money to pay them, some companies claim they can't find drivers.. I don't see FEDEX UPS ABF ROADWAY YELLOW etc having a problem finding drivers because they are willing to pay for drivers.

Lay out the cash, get the drivers, pay peanuts and you get monkeys

Friend of the frog said:

PERIOD.

My concern is not job loss , it is will they combine the driver work force, if so how will it be done? Will Watkins drivers be put at the bottom of the board or will they blend senority. Personaaly i stand to loose big bucks either way, seeing i'm on a high mileage single run that i wouldn't be able to hold IF WE ARE SOLD unless we are left as is.

Thats a whole different fight. And again it is something you will not be able to control. There is no protection from that kind of thing. Even with union carriers, in the case of a buyout there are those get screwed.

Just hope that in time you can prove yourself to your managers and supervisors and you will end up in a similar position.

All you can do is your job. Good luck

ls57racer said:
My concern is not job loss , it is will they combine the driver work force, if so how will it be done? Will Watkins drivers be put at the bottom of the board or will they blend senority. Personaaly i stand to loose big bucks either way, seeing i'm on a high mileage single run that i wouldn't be able to hold IF WE ARE SOLD unless we are left as is.
If the buyout happens and Watkins is merged into FDX you'd also recieve quite a raise, wouldn't you? From what I've read here you guys seem to be about a nickel a mile under FDX, right?

stldude44 said:
If the buyout happens and Watkins is merged into FDX you'd also recieve quite a raise, wouldn't you? From what I've read here you guys seem to be about a nickel a mile under FDX, right?
3 or 4 cent i think which even at $.05 that would be about $6000 a year, i stand to lose $10 to $15,000. I know Lots of FDX drivers and they are a good outfit but the change would be a big one for lots of us. Frog it doesn't matter how good you are or who you prove yourself to if someone in front of you doesn't quit or get fired you don't move up the board and being i am #1 AT MY TERMIAL theres no where to go but down,although i appreciate your encouragement and know we will have to roll with the flow or find other employment it's a tough row to hoe when you have worked hard to get where your at. With all that said the GOOD LORD put me here and he will continue to provide all that i need, so here's hoping for the best. just My 2 cents

in the case of abuy out in a union barn you either dovetail or endtail the seinorty lists orthey run the two as they always have like Yellow-Roadway.Usf;Newpenn.in acase of making it all one its the buyer who is always bigger and the smaller one goes to the bottom

Is57,
One thing is if it really happens nobody truly knows how the integration, if any, would work. They could very easily run as seperate Companies and FDX could just direct it's longhaul customers to Watkins, or whatever the new name might be. If you guys are anywhere close to full capacity, or FDX is, there's no way to put you both under one roof without building giant new terminals. If Watkins has a 100 door terminal in Anytown, USA, and so does FDX, you can't do all that work under one of the existing roofs.

Merger

One thing to remember as when YRC bought USF, they did not dovetail anyone from the USF companies who went to work for YRC. Those at Dugan who wished to continue on with YRC lost their seniority as well. FDX is a great company as well as Watkins. Their Human Resource Departments will work very close to ensure a smooth transition. I believe that all will be well for Watkins employees. Congrats to the Watkins family and I wish you all a great transition to another great company.!

Dogwood

well im linehaul at watkins and ill be happy to take fedx linehaul pay. go fedx or go watkins, as long as im working its fine by me, if i end up not having a job then so be it no hard feelings just go out a find another.

dogwood said:
One thing to remember as when YRC bought USF, they did not dovetail anyone from the USF companies who went to work for YRC. Those at Dugan who wished to continue on with YRC lost their seniority as well.
Dogwood,
Welcome to Truckingboards. There was no merger of any kind when Yellow bought Roadway, or USF. They all still operate seperately, so dovetailing or endtailing wasn't an issue. When Dugan was closed the Dugan employees were out of a job. No job, no seniority. So, when they went to Yellow, Roadway or Holland they had no seniority to lose.

I myself can't see fdx and wml combining there operations under the same terminal locations.
After living thru two freight company consolidations in the 80's ,all that the mass consolidations do under one roof is upset customers and employees. I do believe that fdx would not let that happen. I think that If this all happens wml will be rebranded with another name and be a stand alone division of fdx. your one stop shop.