FedEx Freight | Losing Your Job

Friend of the frog said:
With the driver shortage that we are in the midst of nobody will have to worry about a job.

PERIOD.

The people who will have to worry are the clerks, adminstration people, the corporate paper pushers. That stuff can be, as Bill Zoallrs says, synergized. Drivers for the most part cannot.

If for some reason some Watkins guys get let go there are plenty of other outfits looking for drivers that they will have their pick of the litter.

Try not to sweat it, you cannot do anything about, except be prerpared

I said the exact same thing when yellow bought USF. Yellow put 2800 drivers out on our A$$.
I have been through 4 buyouts, I said drivers never loose in a buyout too hard to find good drivers right? WRONG

dogwood said:
One thing to remember as when YRC bought USF, they did not dovetail anyone from the USF companies who went to work for YRC. Those at Dugan who wished to continue on with YRC lost their seniority as well. FDX is a great company as well as Watkins. Their Human Resource Departments will work very close to ensure a smooth transition. I believe that all will be well for Watkins employees. Congrats to the Watkins family and I wish you all a great transition to another great company.!

Dogwood
Lost our seniority?!
We lost our jobs! we could fill out an app to work for YRCW same as anybody off the street.

Well after reading the Watkins monthly news letter, I think I might not be staying when it turns into fed ex national. It said that all current employees will stay at their current base pay. well I asked our terminal manager about that and he told me that since I was working on weight and mileage pay scale I might not be getting what i currently get paid per week! So i told him that i cannot afford a pay cut and that if my hourly wage doesn't match the pay i get now for 8 hours work that i will not be staying! Nows it just a waiting game! God i hope I get a offer from that offroad race team i applied for as a transport driver!

Socal Driver, were they willing to give you a job as a company driver. If so you might be able to get the 21.00 Hr . As a company driver it take 4 years to get to that level. the benefits are not to bad. I don't know if FedEx is goin to allow all the ones that WML gave us or not. I am no longer employed by WML but if ya like that kind of work the company will treat you right. If they operate like they did?????? I have heard time and time again how great FedEx is but I wonder how many of them realize how good WML is (was) to us.I don't think they know or have ask how good WML was to the drivers

Yes they are willing to make me a company driver. From what a contractor told me is that they will be offering the contractors 21 per hour and the contractors other drivers about 18 per hour! so 18 per hour @ 40 hours is 720 bucks, thats 80 dollars less a week than what i get paid now and i can't afford a 320 per month pay cut! But I will wait and see what happens! BTW anyone know when they are going to let us know when this crap is suppose to change?

doesnt sound like you guys are getting much info , our DM took all of our co. drivers and contractors out to breakfast , which was very good may I add and gave us a lot of info . more could not be said because of pending govt. approval and SEC trading regulations, but we were told ALL drivers will be made company employees with a starting salary of 21.00 per hour.

I am a company driver myself, and had a chance to sit in on the contractors meeting, and they were told that they would be payed $21ph, would have insurance and go on the board under the current seniority list w/ all new hires under them....

kikbxr said:
:wavey: not exactly where you are getting your info from, yet i do respect your opinion. if you were to look @ newspaper adds, different state worksource resources, union hall resources,company recruiters and other etc,, you will find out that there is a massive shortage of drivers

Well, yes and no. As I said, Werner, JB, Schneider, CR England, all those people have to hire massively just to keep their trucks from sitting against the fence. If they treated their drivers right, they'd have a lot less turnover and they'd have to train a lot fewer drivers. I worked for Werner for 10 1/2 years, and they just lost their minds about 5 years ago. Now they'd rather pay $15,000 per trainee than give their drivers a raise and improve conditions there. Truck resales are about all that's keeping them above water, I think.

But many analysts say that there is no real driver shortage, just as there's no teacher shortage. Many of these companies are getting 8-10 applications for every driver they hire. (School districts, by the way, are getting 35 applications for every opening.) And most of these companies know they can fire a driver, ruin his career over some piddly little incident, and hire 10 more trainees in order to get one good driver.

By the way, my wife teaches at a trucking school owned by a trucking company, and you would not believe what they accept.

Jeff said:
Their is no driver shortage in america FOTF , there is a shortage of money to pay them, some companies claim they can't find drivers.. I don't see FEDEX UPS ABF ROADWAY YELLOW etc having a problem finding drivers because they are willing to pay for drivers.

Lay out the cash, get the drivers, pay peanuts and you get monkeys

Well said! I don't remember any driver shortage when trucking was regulated.

Btw, I hear that some of the larger T/L operators are pressuring our politicians to ease the temporary worker visas so as to import drivers here. Man, I hope this doesn't happen..

Has it not been said that Fedex Freight and Watkins will be kept seperate?

If that is the case then they will most likely keep all the teminals open and running as FedEx National LTL, Correct?

Or am I missing something here?

JimJoe (jj) said:
Has it not been said that Fedex Freight and Watkins will be kept seperate?

If that is the case then they will most likely keep all the teminals open and running as FedEx National LTL, Correct?

Or am I missing something here?
That is what we have been told.

We've had two in DLS let go for something that FDX didn't like in there back round. No reason given just let go.

Things will change, and Chip Watkins will get sent packing with a fat check soon. American Freightways was better to work for.Watkins will get picked apart.Some of the Watkins drivers in my area wouldnt cut it at Fedex,Im not trying to be mean.Fedex bought Watkins for Canada,because Day and Ross wouldnt sell.Thats a fact.

I Am A Fedex Freight Employee And I Talked To Are Hr Guy Tuesday Nite About The Rumor"s Going Around He Said Thats What They Were. The Only Changes In Watkins Will Be The Name And The Only Other Change Will Be Freight That Watkins Has Someone Else Delivering Will Come To Fedex To Be Delivered.we Were Treated Better When It Was A/f So You Can Expect It To Be Different When Fedex Takes Over.