FedEx Freight | Losing Your Job

joe bucker said:
I myself can't see fdx and wml combining there operations under the same terminal locations.
After living thru two freight company consolidations in the 80's ,all that the mass consolidations do under one roof is upset customers and employees. I do believe that fdx would not let that happen. I think that If this all happens wml will be rebranded with another name and be a stand alone division of fdx. your one stop shop.
Good point. I do know there has been discussions about that very thing. What is now WML may be re-branded FedEx Continental or something else. FedEx uses ALOT of long haul carriers to move alot of freight . Landstar, Knight, TLI , GLTS,just to name a few. FedEx could swamp Watkins/Landspan with a bunch of freight and keep the money in house. FedEx now interlines Canadian freight with Day&Ross. FedEx tried to buy Day&Ross and could not put a deal together there. FedEx can swamp Watkins with Canadian and Mexico freight. FedEx has been selling truckload freight for years. They just turn around and broker it out. With WML/Landspan, they could keep the money all in house. If FedEx buys Watkins, it will grow you guys big time. I just want you to understand that. There is no need for any loom and gloom here. Think positive.

Who said anything about being absorbed. At this point all we know it FedEx is buying Watkins. Somehow this has been interpreted as FedEx Freight is buying them. Judging by past purchases, it will be operated as a seperate entity.

Trailer Trash said:
Who said anything about being absorbed. At this point all we know it FedEx is buying Watkins. Somehow this has been interpreted as FedEx Freight is buying them. Judging by past purchases, it will be operated as a seperate entity.
Yeah Who said anything about being absorbed?

thats right rattlesnake,i ran solo linehaul for watkins out of charlotte and i ran alot of charlotte to houston then el paso, back to dallas.then on back to charlotte via memphis and knoxville.,so i've been there and i think now that its officially fedex national ltl the skys the limit. i myself are no longer a contractor,but i hope to be a part-time dock/city driver for what is now fedex national in about two weeks.like someone said on here,i'm looking on the bright side..

about a week ago our terminal made alot of changes after the TM meeting in Charlotte. I would like to say If your Term. is hiring then there is enough business to surport the added personel.They made cuts at ours. The truth be known it was we were losing customers left and right because of WML's unwilliness to be competitive with other companies. This what I was told is not a new thing. But with the recent buyout I look for freight to pick for alot of terminals. FedEx will be more aggressive in freight pricing. I hope that those laid off will be called back in the near future.

yes fr8rookie,i hope the same for those as well,i dont know if you understood that i to ran out of charlotte when i was a contractor, but now i'm going to be working out of the small asheville,nc terminal.i think according to the people i've talked to that business will pick-up and pick-up soon. what do you think?

alot will depend on how quick the WML customers can be sold onFedEx Nat. and how fast they can get competitive with pricing. I think the pricing is what was holding back WML all along. Maybe the Watkins family just didn't want to grow much bigger , Who knows. Things should take off.

WML/FedEx National LTL just picked up hundreds more sales reps. Actually thousands, because "Everyone Sells at FedEx" .....You will soon be swamped with freight.

you know, i hope thats the case rattlesnake. i'm just looking forward to being part of what i hope is a good thing. i had worked for yellow as a casual back sometime ago and thought i would be there a long time,but a lay-off got me and ever since i've been looking for a home. lets hope i've found it.

Have you thought about talking to the guys at FedEx Freight up there?. We have a nice new Service Center out there in the country past the airport.

All is Good..

Fedexnational.fedex.com FAQ section say's:::

Will Watkins' operations be combined with FedEx Freight's operations?
No. Once the transaction closes, Watkins will operate as a separate network within the FedEx Freight, an operating unit of FedEx Corp. The operating networks will remain separate.

PINBALL said:
Fedexnational.fedex.com FAQ section say's:::

Will Watkins' operations be combined with FedEx Freight's operations?
No. Once the transaction closes, Watkins will operate as a separate network within the FedEx Freight, an operating unit of FedEx Corp. The operating networks will remain separate.
Hey Joey!!!!!

ALLOW ME TO PIGGY-BACK ON THAT STATEMENT,,,:bgroovy: THERE IS A NATIONAL MAJOR SHORTAGE OF DRIVERS,ALMOST TO THE POINT OF NATIONAL SECURITY ALERT,SO THE DRIVERS WILL HAVE A JOB:duh: NO DIGGY-TI,NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:duh: :biglaugh:
Friend of the frog said:
With the driver shortage that we are in the midst of nobody will have to worry about a job.

PERIOD.

The people who will have to worry are the clerks, adminstration people, the corporate paper pushers. That stuff can be, as Bill Zoallrs says, synergized. Drivers for the most part cannot.

If for some reason some Watkins guys get let go there are plenty of other outfits looking for drivers that they will have their pick of the litter.

Try not to sweat it, you cannot do anything about, except be prerpared

I don't think you will see any changes right off until it starts to effect freight directly. Then I could see them closing Watkins all together. We were told they (fedex freight) only really wanted your equipment and your canadian freight. It makes me wonder about the owner ops though, Ground is like a thorn in Fedexs side.

blending seniority

Freight won't blend seniorty. They fear a union too much. We have already had this discussion with the big wig from AR in our barn.

PINBALL said:
Hey back... who is this??
Hey it is Rattlesnake out of Charlotte. At one time, we used to get to run together a bit. I had one bid where Charlie P***** liked to send me to SAV to lay down. Several times, when SAV drivers were on vacation or sick, I would run back and forth to Charlotte and lay down all week in SAV....You know, back in the old days. Two different terminals in Atlanta...Back and forth from one to the other...You know, the good old days.

Good to see you back on the board.

I don't see them closing watkins at all since they will more or less be a different operating division. I think they will have more than enough to keep them busy once everything is finalized and they are acclimated into the fedex business. I am sure there will be some changes but I don't think the doom and gloom outlook will be justified once everything has settled.... I remember feeling the same when fedex bought us (AF) years ago.

Driver shortage?

kikbxr said:
ALLOW ME TO PIGGY-BACK ON THAT STATEMENT,,,:bgroovy: THERE IS A NATIONAL MAJOR SHORTAGE OF DRIVERS,ALMOST TO THE POINT OF NATIONAL SECURITY ALERT,SO THE DRIVERS WILL HAVE A JOB:duh: NO DIGGY-TI,NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:duh: :biglaugh:

It's commonly said there is an 80,000 driver shortage. I think, personally, that that just means the companies would like to put on 80,000 more trucks. But there are NOT 40,000-80,000 loads per day sitting on docks not being shipped. At the end of the day, it all gets moved, so my (again, PERSONAL!) opinion is that there is exactly a zero driver shortage.