FedEx Freight | Low Moral

Rat has some good points. I want to be proud of my job, the job I do and the company I work for. I also want a goal or something I can achieve, something to work towards. It would also like to enjoy my job.

Fedex gives none of this. It is possible to take care of your people and make money. Look at Microsoft. People that enjoy their jobs and like working for their employer will be more productive and the company will succeed.

My company uses a computer program to get the best deals on fuel factoring in your route, fuel mileage etc. When we fuel where we are supposed to, they throw us a bone. Last quarter the wife and I each received a $100 card for Walmart. Do we do it for the money? Not really. I've always figured if I save the company money, it'll give them more opportunity to share with me.

Rat has some good points. I want to be proud of my job, the job I do and the company I work for. I also want a goal or something I can achieve, something to work towards. It would also like to enjoy my job.

Fedex gives none of this. It is possible to take care of your people and make money. Look at Microsoft. People that enjoy their jobs and like working for their employer will be more productive and the company will succeed.

My company uses a computer program to get the best deals on fuel factoring in your route, fuel mileage etc. When we fuel where we are supposed to, they throw us a bone. Last quarter the wife and I each received a $100 card for Walmart. Do we do it for the money? Not really. I've always figured if I save the company money, it'll give them more opportunity to share with me.

Wanting to be proud of your job is the goal of every working stiff.

Yes...we are well compensated for our efforts.

It is an absolute necessity to have connection with your employer.

Any organization is only as good as its people.

FedEx has foregone this mindset.

Its all about the numbers and only about the numbers...and ultimately be its demise.

There is ALWAYS another Fred S. in the shadows...just waiting to enjoy their time in the sun.

This hulking giant has intentionally forgot the roots from whence it came.

FedEx Freight will eventually become a 'cash cow'...evidenced by its inability to be cutting edge.

These bozos haven't a clue...the largest elephant in the room for the moment.

That could change tomorrow.

Remember CF...Roadway...Preston...Yellow..and any other number of carriers who have went by the wayside due to bad management...this self absorbed entity is no different.

Rat

Wanting to be proud of your job is the goal of every working stiff.

Yes...we are well compensated for our efforts.

It is an absolute necessity to have connection with your employer.

Any organization is only as good as its people.

FedEx has foregone this mindset.

Its all about the numbers and only about the numbers...and ultimately be its demise.

There is ALWAYS another Fred S. in the shadows...just waiting to enjoy their time in the sun.

This hulking giant has intentionally forgot the roots from whence it came.

FedEx Freight will eventually become a 'cash cow'...evidenced by its inability to be cutting edge.

These bozos haven't a clue...the largest elephant in the room for the moment.

That could change tomorrow.

Remember CF...Roadway...Preston...Yellow..and any other number of carriers who have went by the wayside due to bad management...this self absorbed entity is no different.

Rat
I understood every word of that! well said!

My understanding of how you people east of the Rockies handle winter is....
you look at the weather and decide which motel and bar you want to stop at for the night.
And don't tell me I'm wrong, I've already seen the posts from drivers that pack their party clothes and book their room before they leave home.
well RC your wrong at least when it comes to us up here as a matter of fact we are in constent need of drivers up here , why dont you volunteer to come spend the winter up here hell im pretty sure if you volunteer for MOT you will get 612 run toFAR a coup[le times a week and if your not on that you can go out and do P&D in the oil fields and stay in a sleeper truck. We welcome everyone with open arms we will even fix you up with one of these reclassed red racers with holes rusted thru the cab oh well i should give you my new truck its only missing parts of the bumper and most of the left side plastic from a deer hit 2 months ago ,but they are waiting for its first service to fix, Oh it 85k on it did i mention its waiting for its first service. Oh and thanks roog I know you know the folks up here and what we are about. Rc its all about taking pride in what you do we do and but it is getting very difficult and that within itself stresses a person out that gives a crap about what they are doing

My morale couldn't be any higher. In 15 days what happens at FredEx will no longer concern me. But if I go to Estes or OD I will do my level best to put FredEX Freight away. Paycheck loyalty is the only thing that matters to me anymore.

If I was killed hitting a BNSF train with FedEX Freight trailers, would my insurance triple? Since if your killed on the job, your insurance is doubled, I figured it must triple if your "Accidently" hit by a FedEx train. With what I'm making now and the/my future looking worse, I'm worth more dead. How's that for moral?

It doesn't have to be this way....

This company and others like it have so many rules and policies they can't possible enforce them.

This why you hear the escapist phrase of 'hub discretion'...the boob on the other end of the phone hasn't a clue as what the procedure is to deal with the situation. Rather than make a decision and possibly have it come back to haunt them they play 'hot potato' and pass it to the hub.

OK...maybe this works most of the time...but sometimes it does not.

Hub dispatchers are not the brightest bunch. Their only frame of reference is what happens in their own little sphere of influence. They don't care if you have the available hours to run a via...after all, once you leave the hub you are on your own. Tell them you don't have the hours...or call Central and the 'deer in the headlights' sub intelligent mentality rears its ugly head.

Even better...tell them you cannot be forced on a via knowing in advance you will need to use the 16 hour rule...and more 'deer stare'.

Then there is the ever popular, oft loved and admired "SnapShot"...

Really?...are you kidding me?

I understand the need for uniformity in the operation...and the need to maintain a "Big Mac" continuity across the enterprise...but this endeavor is asinine and over bloated. It serves no purpose other than to intimidate the rank and file.

"My shoestrings are the wrong color?"..."improper belt buckle?"...screw you...when they start buying them, then they can start telling me what to wear. In the mean time '**** off'!

Oh!!...and lest we forget the "no wearing long sleeve undergarments beneath your short sleeve uniform." This is directly indicative of rule making by someone who has never been on a cold dock...hustling freight to a customer in 20 degree weather, or standing out in the elements hooking a set.

Its easy to make rules for the workers when your exposure to the elements is limited to your heated/air conditioned office/cubicle in freakin' Arkansas!!!

Too many rules...not enough common sense.

Hopefully at some point we will return to the business of moving freight and abandon the notion of policing the masses as if we are a bunch of high schoolers at a pep rally.

This hulking giant of a company has grown too large. It never changed to keep up with people.

The people are moving forward...and some are leaving. Not all of those departing are rank and file workers. Some are mid and upper level management types. Perhaps they have seen the writing on the wall...or are just tired of the purple BS.

Whatever the reason...one thing is clear...those at the top of the heap have the farthest to fall and suffer the most damage.

This purple elephant is no different. $40 billion won't change the laws of physics.

It is always advisable to be mindful of the people who helped you make to the top...you will most likely meet those same people on the way down.

We have rules for the sake of rules..it is time to be rid of this "Henry Ford" mentality. It is the 21st century...time to grasp new ideas and operating tactics.

Rat

I've been here a long time and I still have a paycheck from 1997(my last year working for the road dept) on my table beside my lazyboy. I occasionally look at it when I start wanting to whine as a subtle reminder of what life before AF/FedEx was like. It is a check for 80 hrs(we were paid bi-weekly) that after taxes and insurance were taken out,I brought home $441.87. I make that now in a day and half on 454 mi shuttle run with no pad time. I lived in a 16x80 mobile home and drove a 90 toyota pickup truck,wife had a 92 Ford Taurus,and we had one child at the time(second arrived in 98). Now I live in a 4200 sq ft finished walkout basement home in the woods,I drive a 98 Ford Ranger that I bought new,and my wife tricks around in a 2006 Dodge Charger that we also bought new. I have the means to buy new toys when I want them (aka firearms),none of which would be possible if I hadnt taken this job. (my wife has been a stay at home mom the whole time)
If looking at that check isnt enough,next time you go through a Wendys drive-through look inside and see how many 40 somethings are working there...don't think I want to trade them paychecks. 15+ yrs working here and I could lose my job in one more round of cuts and if I do I will still be thankful that I had the opportunity to live the way I have for the last 15+ yrs,its been way better than that $8.50 an hour job holding up a shovel.

I've been here a long time and I still have a paycheck from 1997(my last year working for the road dept) on my table beside my lazyboy. I occasionally look at it when I start wanting to whine as a subtle reminder of what life before AF/FedEx was like. It is a check for 80 hrs(we were paid bi-weekly) that after taxes and insurance were taken out,I brought home $441.87. I make that now in a day and half on 454 mi shuttle run with no pad time. I lived in a 16x80 mobile home and drove a 90 toyota pickup truck,wife had a 92 Ford Taurus,and we had one child at the time(second arrived in 98). Now I live in a 4200 sq ft finished walkout basement home in the woods,I drive a 98 Ford Ranger that I bought new,and my wife tricks around in a 2006 Dodge Charger that we also bought new. I have the means to buy new toys when I want them (aka firearms),none of which would be possible if I hadnt taken this job. (my wife has been a stay at home mom the whole time)
If looking at that check isnt enough,next time you go through a Wendys drive-through look inside and see how many 40 somethings are working there...don't think I want to trade them paychecks. 15+ yrs working here and I could lose my job in one more round of cuts and if I do I will still be thankful that I had the opportunity to live the way I have for the last 15+ yrs,its been way better than that $8.50 an hour job holding up a shovel.

Very well said Hippie, sometimes we forget to look honestly at what we have, Sysco has problems a plenty, but I am so grateful to have this wonderful job!!!

Was that your wife? Damn brother, sorry about the stain on the back seat. She said the charger was her pimps car...

Edit: or is "tricks" hippie for drives?

Really Hippie? If life is just so damn perfect for you, then perhaps you can explain why she still has to do stuff like this. Unreal dude :duh:

its called staying out of debt ice,after all if you would have read the other part you would have saw where it said "one more cut and I wont have a job" fortunately im debt free besides my house...that was the point

Your wife and kids must be so proud of you, one day I will own a 2006 Dodge Charger. Oh yea:bouncy: