FedEx Freight | Mass Layoffs

According to what happened at our barn (sorry ex-barn) these are not lay-offs but elimination of positions, which means you can't just go back to work if it gets busy but have to tre-apply and start all over again.

Is this not the case evrywhere and are some just laying-off. Just curiuos.

This is the case everywhere fedex will never call it a layoff to protect its public image.The bottom line is you lose your job.

Only at FedEx would they come up with a worker diversity week and fire people during it. I guess as long as they fire all races and religions it's cool. Purple Rain.Purple Haze. Yes I've seen much better days!

Only at FedEx would they come up with a worker diversity week and fire people during it. I guess as long as they fire all races and religions it's cool. Purple Rain.Purple Haze. Yes I've seen much better days!

You truly touch on their hypocrisy. "All rise" says FedEx. "Diversity week and all of it's political correctness is here, all ye celebrate, rejoice and embrace, and help divert attention from the current reality". "Your job no longer exists ". "Embrace everybody from everywhere employees". " Praise the great diversity gods say H.R., now get a job elsewhere ex fedexer". May ye remaining keep your heads down, mouths shut, and keep turning the purple mill stone! Amen

I just hope the good LORD & B W look down and see the purple pus ozing from the company and people that B W was always so proud of and just rewards in kind the family members who done this to his legacy!

National employees should be scared, very scared! Not enough business to keep everyone? hhmm! FED EX sell National when they figure out they aren't going to make any money?! hhhmmmmm! Don't buy that house Patty, you might not be able to pay for it in a year when they close the doors! WAIT AND SEE, WAIT AND SEE?????!!!!

I’m sure they were not over staffed when it was Watkins…
Unfortunately many terminals became over staffed when the
“shorthaul” business was transitioned to FedEx Freight
There were many terminals that lost a huge percentage of
their business when it was the main goal of the sales staff
to get all of the 1 and 2 day lanes on FXF.

I also remember all the higher ups telling us that we'd be getting all FXF's 3,4 and 5 day frt a short while after we gave them the 1 & 2 day frt because the short haul frt was only about 10% of WML business was shorthaul. I clearly remember a sl,ow peak season before the buyout of 14,000 bills per day. Now were barely breaking 12 and you know thats going to drop down to around 8 or 9,000 after the holidays.

fedex is all about money!!! they have forget that it was driver and customer that made them!!!! if fedex wants save money then they need look at top &middle management lots dead weight there i bet you can save about 15mil. im going set and watch DHL do to fedex what fedex did too parculator(spell not right sorry)

Ther is much better ways to get cost in line than destroying peoples lives. But if your not effected by it. there is no way you can feel anothers pain.

Nobody's job is safe anymore. The days of working 30+ years for one company and then retiring with a gold watch and a fat pension are long gone.

I've got my house paid-down, my car paid off, no credit-card debt, and a small amount of savings to fall back on in addition to my 401k retirement stash. If the purple axe were to fall on me tomorrow, a couple phone calls would have me back behind the wheel in no time flat: over-the-road, hauling fuel, running shuttles, mixers, tri-axle dumps, food service, skateboards, or maybe even the bus lines. One thing about having a Class-A CDL with all endorsements and a whistle-clean MVR/DAC is that there's always another job around the bend if this one doesn't pan out. That can't be said of many other professions - even for guys with fancy college degrees on the wall.

Watkins was more of a laid-back family-affair. Kind of like Commandant Lassard from Police Acadamy. But FedEx is the new sheriff in town and they're the ones calling the shots now. Did you read the last quarterly report? The Freight segment was a disaster. How long did you think FedEx was gonna stand for that?

While I give 100% everyday and I wear my uniform with professional pride, I take it one day at a time and always with an eye towards the horizon. You never know what might be coming down the line in this biz.

I've got my house paid-down, my car paid off, no credit-card debt, and a small amount of savings to fall back on in addition to my 401k retirement stash. If the purple axe were to fall on me tomorrow, a couple phone calls would have me back behind the wheel in no time flat: over-the-road, hauling fuel, running shuttles, mixers, tri-axle dumps, food service, skateboards, or maybe even the bus lines. One thing about having a Class-A CDL with all endorsements and a whistle-clean MVR/DAC is that there's always another job around the bend if this one doesn't pan out. That can't be said of many other professions - even for guys with fancy college degrees on the wall.

Driver that's what is called a trade you can get a job anywhere. That job may not be what you like but it will keep food on the table.

If the purple axe were to fall on me tomorrow, a couple phone calls would have me back behind the wheel in no time flat: over-the-road, hauling fuel, running shuttles, mixers, tri-axle dumps, food service, skateboards, or maybe even the bus lines. One thing about having a Class-A CDL with all endorsements and a whistle-clean MVR/DAC is that there's always another job around the bend if this one doesn't pan out

I agree. Having a CDL A with triples, doubles and Hazmat completly free and clear of accidents and incidents is a open door to another job.
All the more reason to drive safe and never , ever break the rules for a supervisor to get the job done. It is not there livlihood on the line.
Gotta love those drivers who can cut down the amount of time it takes to get to or unload at by 30-45 minutes. It seems those are the drivers reconized one minute and on workers comp or filling out the accident/incident report after a few months.:biglaugh:

all my years with Watkins...the ups and downs...the good and bad....nothing like this ever happened.
Fedkins promises/lies over and over. I do not see this company around a year from today. it will all be Fedex Freight. THe Puralator Courier analogy is right on the mark. Goodbye Fedkins. I feel bad for all the good people that were let go..Lucky for me I am a driver and can find a job just like that.

that is true but nothing like this....most were contractors back in 2001...this is tell you one thing then do something totally different. lies lies lies....very discouraging

that is true but nothing like this....most were contractors back in 2001...this is tell you one thing then do something totally different. lies lies lies....very discouraging

Not true, we lost 40 co. LH drivers alone and I don't remember how many dockhands...

ABF is on a hiring frenzy. You guys from Fort Wayne could apply for city or line-haul, at the Fort Wayne terminal or online at the abf.com website. For line-haul, I would suggest the South Chicago terminal, the seniority list is shorter than Dayton, and we've got a bunch of guys retiring over the next short term. City jobs are available almost everywhere. I would suspect that having triples license for Indiana and Ohio might work to your benefit.

Good Luck on your quest for better employment. Just don't settle for a job, when there are GOOD jobs out there.

Most of the guys that were laid off in 2001 were contractors that were caught up in the "License for Bribe Scandal" that happened in Illinois.