XPO | Miami files for Union representation

T Not everyone is like you...Great post BTW...some are intimidated and won't post because they are largely out numbered by the pro's

It was not long ago when the pro-union camp was very much in the minority on this board.
I didn't whine nor was I fearful. I was ALWAYS honest and very clear in communicating exactly how I felt. No games. (sarcasm is not a game lol) I treated all with respect......unless my disrespect was earned.

The Times They Are' Changing

I find acceptance concerning uncontrollable events in my life brings calm to my being. Go with the flow man.

There is a fundamental movement in the markets where the pendulum has shifted from capital to labor. This is especially true in our industry now because you can buy all the trucks and trailers you want but with no one to actually operate the equipment the world stops. Workers in this industry know this and have not been compensated accordingly or have been taken advantage of by companies they once trusted only to see a culture morph into something they feel has no concern for them.

The union is coming.

There is a fundamental movement in the markets where the pendulum has shifted from capital to labor. This is especially true in our industry now because you can buy all the trucks and trailers you want but with no one to actually operate the equipment the world stops. Workers in this industry know this and have not been compensated accordingly or have been taken advantage of by companies they once trusted only to see a culture morph into something they feel has no concern for them.

The union is coming.
Maybe so.... But I am curious of something ... I think I know this but I want to run it by you guys... When does there come a time when a vote comes to completely unionize the whole system... You can grab a handful of service centers..... But when does there come a time when the whole system goes to a vote.

It was not long ago when the pro-union camp was very much in the minority on this board.
I didn't whine nor was I fearful. I was ALWAYS honest and very clear in communicating exactly how I felt. No games. (sarcasm is not a game lol) I treated all with respect......unless my disrespect was earned.

The Times They Are' Changing

I find acceptance concerning uncontrollable events in my life brings calm to my being. Go with the flow man.
Bob Dylan?

Maybe so.... But I am curious of something ... I think I know this but I want to run it by you guys... When does there come a time when a vote comes to completely unionize the whole system... You can grab a handful of service centers..... But when does there come a time when the whole system goes to a vote.

I'm not sure on that. All I know is if a trucking company comes under the NLRA they have to organize terminal by terminal.

Now FedEx Express (not FedEx freight) is organized as an airline so then you would have to organize the entire company as opposed to terminal by terminal.

No way to accurately predict the when, but if this pace snow balls like it appears it may, there will come a time when 30% (just to throw a number) of the units have not voted yet, or voted no - and the corporation will want to simply standardize the system and pull those remaining units into the fold. Call it surrender, optimizing labor relations, easing inter-unit interactions, cutting your loses, or whatever, it all means the same.

Or, it will happen when Conway decides the union busters are a waste of money.

No way to accurately predict the when, but if this pace snow balls like it appears it may, there will come a time when 30% (just to throw a number) of the units have not voted yet, or voted no - and the corporation will want to simply standardize the system and pull those remaining units into the fold. Call it surrender, optimizing labor relations, easing inter-unit interactions, cutting your loses, or whatever, it all means the same.

Why would they do that. The system isnt standardized now.

This answer tells me everything I need to know and actually much more...I'm actually surprised with this answer ..... BR you are a fine adversary .... Your very articulate and pretty much the smartest guy on here... I suspect maybe a BA in something..... I must say I find it funny that you would use the words like surrender....and cutting your losses....That will be a cold day in hell..... Do your research and you just might find you are a little off base on this one.

All I know is that i think it's fantastic that you guys at Conway are making some noise in wanting a voice in the workplace.Its been way too long that these corporations have abused and taken advantage of the very workforce that have filled the pockets of everyone except the labor.If you are a friend of labor then you are a friend of mine.You haven't and you won't get any love from these faceless corporations.Its business as usual with or without you

This answer tells me everything I need to know and actually much more...I'm actually surprised with this answer ..... BR you are a fine adversary .... Your very articulate and pretty much the smartest guy on here... I suspect maybe a BA in something..... I must say I find it funny that you would use the words like surrender....and cutting your losses....That will be a cold day in hell..... Do your research and you just might find you are a little off base on this one.

Smart? Thank you but I do have you fooled.

No doubt I was projecting should this union thing snowball. At some point, they would realize there is no choice. If it is long and protracted, then it would be far more painful for Conway. And I do NOT want this to be painful for Conway.
Obviously, you know what I am hoping for and am feeling more optimistic everyday. Today's vote will be very telling and I sure as hell do not want to change my thoughts on this.

VOTE YES!!!

ALUMNUS FOOTBALL........For when the One Great Scorer comes......To write your name. He writes ------- not that you won or lost ____ But how you played the game....Grantland Rice *************** All that is essential for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.....Edmond Burke.....Press on BR......Press on.

To process the freight the way we do I'd never expect a contract with those rules.. They would bargain hard for their work expectations which is fine... Compensate accordingly

If I were still employed by Con-way one of my hopes would be that part of the contract addresses how the freight is handled in the first place. Too often freight is cross-docked every 250 miles or so til it gets to the nearest longbox going that direction and taken out of the network entirely. At NNC we could have loaded to the longest distance FAC and kept it in the network. At least with a contract you could have a say in how much business gets farmed out to purchase instead of as much as possible.

If I were still employed by Con-way one of my hopes would be that part of the contract addresses how the freight is handled in the first place. Too often freight is cross-docked every 250 miles or so til it gets to the nearest longbox going that direction and taken out of the network entirely. At NNC we could have loaded to the longest distance FAC and kept it in the network. At least with a contract you could have a say in how much business gets farmed out to purchase instead of as much as possible.
Sub Service is a big issue. Most contracts hold it down in the mid single digits. It is meant to be used as a reserve resource during peak tonnage periods. Problem is how can that be negotiated in local contracts. Seems it would have to wait till we go for a national contract. I am no expert but we all have opinions.

Most LTL carriers pull most of their own freight and they make money. We farm out a huge percentage, and we can't afford to compete in the labor market like we used to.

even if they were promised nothing beer, the signs say it all

I just don't get the respect thing. All I want in a union company is work rules that the company has to abide by. Wages and benefits truck drivers deserve. Who cares if they don't respect you. I don't let anyone disrespect me nor do I disrespect anyone. Most of the little girls talk behind your back but is that really worth a second thought...

Agreed. But respect is automatically demonstrated when they follow through with agreed upon compensation.........because it's in writing. Sorry, you would have to be somewhat respected.

I just don't get the respect thing. All I want in a union company is work rules that the company has to abide by. Wages and benefits truck drivers deserve. Who cares if they don't respect you. I don't let anyone disrespect me nor do I disrespect anyone. Most of the little girls talk behind your back but is that really worth a second thought...

I think what alot of people mean by respect is don't treat us like where worthless just because most of us have some time in here and temps are here today gone the next day they gotta keep temps happy because of turnover but put us down in the process