ODFL | My Benefits Package

od insurance and benefits

WEll, how on earth can they make the insurance any higher in cost to the employee? They have one of the costliest insurance packages to the employee I have ever seen? They wonder why they can't keep good drivers, and why the drivers that do apply aren't worth hiring. I just don't get this company-are they trying to see how badly they can treat their employees?

what do they charge for a family plan?? the most i've paid was 50.00 a week, that was hauling cars for BMT. talked to other co's that wanted 75 or more, i asked if they were joking, they don't like being told they charge too much..

I don't think any plan at OD is zero deductible. Middle plan with dental and vision costs $67 per wk for family.

FlyByWire said:
I pay 45 a week for just the wife and I.. its the top level plan with zero deductable.
are u sure it that low when i was there 3 years ago it was alot higher 4 CRAP i can not see insurance going down.

benefits

I have heard it's at over 70 a week for dental and medical, for the best plan with ridiculously high deducs for drugs, and medical visits.

Put together no overtime, costly benefits and low pay, its a prescription for a bad place to work. The only way you can make money at od is to use your spouses insurance plan.

Insurance

I left OD for this very reason ,not just because the insurance was costly ,but because the Insurance was horrible to work with the coverage sucks.....I enjoyed working for OD but they are a cheap company and Nickel and Dime the Driver every chance they get .

Better Than ALL

shookeys said:
WEll, how on earth can they make the insurance any higher in cost to the employee? They have one of the costliest insurance packages to the employee I have ever seen? They wonder why they can't keep good drivers, and why the drivers that do apply aren't worth hiring. I just don't get this company-are they trying to see how badly they can treat their employees?
It's better than nothing! There are alot of co's that require more than we pay,don't believe me check it out for your self.Yeah I know it's not what those union carriers give but this outfit will never hound you like them and as far as drivers go they are scrutinizing people like never before with the psychology tests and other stuff but hey when OD buys out those dregs of what some call trucking co's look at some of those people,equipment and see what they had before OD bought them out.So just do some looking around while your out and remember what those other outfits had ,OD I think looks alot better than ALL of them! OD will be the premier trucking co of this generation!

Skidmark said:
I left OD for this very reason ,not just because the insurance was costly ,but because the Insurance was horrible to work with the coverage sucks.....I enjoyed working for OD but they are a cheap company and Nickel and Dime the Driver every chance they get .
You left because the ins was crappy?Wow thats a new one, I've never heard that before but there's always someone dissatisfied somewhere , just glad your happy somewhere else than be angry here,sh#t that's all we need is some angry OD driver going down the road mad about something!:chairshot: :loser: :wtflol: :tribehasspoken:

look around

A few of the new employees look around and all they see is shine.New tractors,trailers,
terminals,lifts,etc.With all this they think O.D.
should pay the highest wages and have the best benefits.Well,I do too.But you have to understand ,this company is building itself a little at a time.Constantly growing in reach.I am not going to bore you with my storys of a 2 dollar an hour wage or the days of no handtrucks or lifts or trailers or tractors.
Fellows ,this place has put several old *****
in good shape for retirement.But we stuck it out to get there.Your wages will rise and the benefits will increase.If you don't agree leave,
but I would hold on to that O.D.stock if it was me.

Your way of saying things have and will only get better. I know a lot of drivers that quit that, wish they never did, or came back.

Thanks Sparky

Thanks Sparky,when my Alzheimer's kicks in my mind starts rambling.I am making exactly 16 times what I started out at.I've saved a few nickels and am looking forward to retirement.Things will improve for everybody,you just have to be patient.This company was built a block at a time and it ain't going nowhere but up ,if you stick it out you'll move up too.

I'm sticking to it Jim Bob,they will have to run me off from here!The equipment we had when I started here was not very good.Man these last 7 years have been outstanding and I have been driving cadillacs compared to those others we used to ride around in and I'm very thankful I stuck it out!

Skywalker said:
I'm sticking to it Jim Bob,they will have to run me off from here!The equipment we had when I started here was not very good.Man these last 7 years have been outstanding and I have been driving cadillacs compared to those others we used to ride around in and I'm very thankful I stuck it out!

One of the things that kept me going was a lot of the freight haulers had even older and rattier equipment than ours. I would see competiors with million mile Volvo's, fords and internationals patching floor board holes with duct tape and be thankful I had a newer tractor than them. Than I would see some OD Nashville driver with a extended cab Volvo and be jealous as H***.

Skidmark said:
every body does not have to have good insurance or top pay.o.d will let you take off from work when you need to.they have good disabilty insurance i thank it is $125.00 or 150.00 a week.i thank o.d is the n.o 1 ltl company every time me an my family see those pretty green an white truck we put a smile on my faces.o.d was real good to me.:bgroovy:

Skywalker ,I wasn't angry when I left OD and I'm not angry with OD now...I Enjoyed my time at OD as far as the job went .But when it came to the Health Insurance they are way below standard with other company's Union or Non...Also The Insurance Comany itself was a joke they were of no help to me or my family when using the coverage. That was my situation ,it may not be that way for everybody. When I look at a job the first thing I look at is Health Ins. so it is not that unbelievable that I would leave over this issue .Just wanted to clear things up,I had a problem ,I didn't whine or complain or get angry I dealt with it.(Period!)

benefits

I see your point of view also, but it seems to me they treat their employees not so good, and if you are gonna keep your drivers at 42 hours a week and expect them to pay 75 bucks per week out of their check for benefits, well I think it sucks. To have crap insurance and high premiums is a need to have an extra tube of vaseline handy. That's all I am saying. They are worried about changing their image by having their workers wear company uniforms-please....they need more than uniforms to change their image. Why is it that they can't retain or hire good quality professional drivers in some of their locations? I am sure offering all of these potential company drivers uniforms is whats gonna get them in the door to apply right?

shookeys said:
I see your point of view also, but it seems to me they treat their employees not so good, and if you are gonna keep your drivers at 42 hours a week and expect them to pay 75 bucks per week out of their check for benefits, well I think it sucks. To have crap insurance and high premiums is a need to have an extra tube of vaseline handy. That's all I am saying. They are worried about changing their image by having their workers wear company uniforms-please....they need more than uniforms to change their image. Why is it that they can't retain or hire good quality professional drivers in some of their locations? I am sure offering all of these potential company drivers uniforms is whats gonna get them in the door to apply right?

Of course no one works here just because we like the uniforms. That image is for the customer. There are benefits in wearing a uniform but that belongs on another thread. As far as the insurance being crap it is not. It is just not the best. Probably somewhere in the middle. It is a PPO where you can pick your own doctor and I have not found a doctor that does not accept it. At least it is not a HMO. Insurance has became a difficult situation for many people in this country I understand that a large percentage of people are not insured at all. Many companies are making a case of this just look at are automakers that claim that the cost of insurance has made them less competitive. I am ready to bet that just because OD has more expensive insurance than some other carriers that one way or another when you work somewhere else in any company similar to OD that you pay the price. This is not a problem that is confined to OD employees only this is a universal problem and you are paying for the high price of medical needs one way or another.