TForce | My TM came back from a 3 day meeting @ Newburg.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
He shared with us at our Friday safety talk basic teachings he got from this meeting on the minds.

From now on we are all going to work together as a team.
Supervisors,dock workers,as well as us drivers.

I said gee that would be nice for a change.

Which he launched into his next point right quick.

He said there will be no more negative talking by anybody.

If any of us hears any negative ideas arising from anyone,we are to come to him,and rat them out.

Oh sorry thats a negative,we are to share with him what was said,and who said it.

Welcome to kindergarden.

WHOOPS my bad I think that also may be a negative statement?

Maybe its a good thing that I'm going to be retired in a few more weeks.

I'd much rather leave on my own instead of getting the boot!

Was that also negative?
No I think I can get a pass on that statement!

Apo, Did he mention that he went to boot camp to learn how to become a Union barn manager? That is what his three day vacation was. My manager told me it was very informative and finally realized that as long as he follows the rules and we follow the rules there will be no problem. According to him, they saw a bunch of videos and read a "how to" book that was three pages short of the bible. He did mention that he was looking forward to working with us. I informed him that was a great rehearsed line he used. We shall see if he sticks to it......NOT!!! Let the greivances fly!!!

Yes I did inquire about any sensitivity training he may of had concerning getting along with the new union issues that may come up?

He kind of skipped over that just by saying yes that was discussed.

He pretty much was focusing on him laying the law down to us about working together,with a positive attitude.

I tryed to be positives with my comments, but did slip back into viewing past practises that has kept all of use on a different page in this industry.
I said this is how its been my entire 45 years of city driving with each of the 15 trucking companies I worked for.

He says that in a few days I'll be gone,and won't have to worry about it anymore.

WORRY???
I don't worry about anything its a big waste of time.
I was just bringing up how this industry has always worked.

He maybe be right in a way,once as little as a split second has passed you can't relive it.
Looking to the future we are going to be a team,with nothing less than positive thoughts.

Well then this is a good thing,sorry I'm retiring so soon and am going to miss out on all the fun.

The three day meeting armed them with lots of information about dealing with the union and how to handle,avoid and minimize grievances. Obviously this involves everyone working as a TEAM. Finally!:chairshot:

He did mention that he was looking forward to working with us.
This seems like a politically correct way tof saying "Oh Crap, this is going to be very interesting!"
In my opinion, they have a jump start and probably feel a little easier about moving forward, managing and supervising us while using seniority. Finally!:chairshot:

My best advice for us all is to read our Rule Book and Policy Book if we are to co-mingle and be happy campers.

In all honesty, I am looking forward to this. I'm ready.

It is funny how things change once the workers get a little power of enforcement. I know I may be nieve, but I truely believe that the union will make the local managers job a bit easier. Since the regional vp's won't be able to make them violate the contract. I know some will try, but a smart manager will use the contract to his or her advantage, It can be a fire wall for them as well.

I just talked with a good friend of mine I've known for many years.
I saw him on a construction sight making a delivery to one of the contractors.
He's a Roadway city driver.
I was also waiting to be unloaded by another contractor at that job sight.
well he said that the Roadway operation at his terminal doesn't seem to have the team spirirt.
The TM,and supervisors are not on the same page as the drivers,also the dock crew doesn't care how they handle their freight or load their trailers.

HMMMMMMMMM I rest my case.
Sorry if this is a tad negative,but this is the trucking industry I've grown used to over my long career.

It sure would be nice to see UPS Freight set a new trend toward working together,and having a positive attitude.

It is funny how things change once the workers get a little power of enforcement. I know I may be nieve, but I truely believe that the union will make the local managers job a bit easier. Since the regional vp's won't be able to make them violate the contract. I know some will try, but a smart manager will use the contract to his or her advantage, It can be a fire wall for them as well.

I agree it will make managing things alot easier. The terminals that did not know how to manage their workforce will be the ones to stumble for awhile.
They now have NO CHOICE but to follow the union rules. It's too bad it took organizing to get them to wake up and shake off the "O" mentality.

You Sir are correct! The whole Union/contract/ rules thing is exactly that, a way for both sides to be on a LEVEL playing field. Will it always be done that way, probably not. The difference is with a good steward, a fair TM, a strong local, and a fair panel, when it isn't done correctly there is recourse.
I have seen posts on here before about how the favortisim will stop once the contract is ratified. That will be one of the many advantages to being part of a collective barganing agreement.
One old saying that goes along with this concept is this "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" Never a truer statement. We all must remember that "WE" are now working together, and not separate parts concerned only with our own best interests.:smilie_132:

Yes I agree favoritizum is going to be a thing of the past with a union contract in place.
Everything is senority.

Well one thing is for sure, we are all at the begining. If both sides understand this, then we may have a chance. This is not like coming to a barn that has been already union for 100yrs. This is a new type of contract with a fairly green union experienced labor force as well as a management team. Mistakes are going to be made on both sides, it is only human. It is how we deal with them that will make a difference.

Exactly, the rules are in black and white for all to see.

I think its time for a new vision statement!!:hysterical:

"Overnite Tranportation: Thanks to all the employees who helped get rid of the Teamsters, now we can go public and I can take my stock options in cash and retire, Leaving you all at the mercy of a company that will force you to go back to the Teamsters." Leo Suggs:hysterical:

He pretty much was focusing on him laying the law down to us about working together,with a positive attitude.

It's funny how now all of a sudden he wants to work together and keep a positive attitude. Before Union School, he was more like, "if you don't like it, there's the door," wasn't he?

Going union and getting the contract will improve relations between management and the common folk because we will all know what our job is. Then we can just come in and do it and that's it.

And as Liebstandarte said, the playing field is now leveled.

YOU SIR are CROSSING THE LINE!!!!!! It is in my humble opinion that this is NEGATIVE!!!! I will not stand for the past to allowed into this in anyway!!!!!!!!!! Wow that felt good....Sorry if I came on tooo strong!

DID I READ BUSTER'S POST CORRECTLY? I READ VISION , AND IMMEDIATLY WENT INTO A SEZIER.:hysterical::hysterical: WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO RUN IMMEDIATLY TO APO'S BOSS, THAT STATEMENT IS NEGATIVE. ACTUALLY, I THINK WE SHOULD TRY TO GET THE VISION INTO THE CONTRACT.

From now on you will have to check with your union rep.'s if you want any new vision statements.
I'm sure UPS's vision is we can all work together if we are all represented by the same union.

DID I READ BUSTER'S POST CORRECTLY? I READ VISION , AND IMMEDIATLY WENT INTO A SEZIER.:hysterical::hysterical: WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO RUN IMMEDIATLY TO APO'S BOSS, THAT STATEMENT IS NEGATIVE. ACTUALLY, I THINK WE SHOULD TRY TO GET THE VISION INTO THE CONTRACT.

I am on the plane now!!!! And I like the fact that you said the whole thing with authority.....VERY NICE!!!!!