FedEx Freight | new locks

I don't know how much longer I can take the torture of these new locks. I had 2 trailers today that had the new locks on them. It was raining and both of them worked. When I hooked up and did my pretrip they were locked, it was horrible. Then when I got done they were still locked. I think I may have to find a different company if this is going to continue.

Well just watched a driver put wd-40 in lock and nothing, got out the hammer and still nothing. looks like it went to shop for some special treatment. Have you noticed how rusty they are turning with all this rain?????? still having problems getting the key into lock, is it me or anyone else having issues?

Had my first bad experience with new lock. WalMart docks are always 6"-8" higher than trailer. I was squated down and reaching down below floor level between trailer and dock to get to lock.
Have had trouble with key before from on the ground but this was first time from this angle. Couldn't be done.
Dropped key. Had to go back outside and pull truck forward. Pick-up key and un-lock door and then back into dock.
Another great move by home office they should have studied before going forward with.

I'd like to know where the little key hole covers are like the old locks? Oh,, wait,,, it would cover up the pretty rust covered chrome! I hope every 10 locks bought comes with a free pair of bolt cutters,, cause thats what we'll need....

I ran a meet the other day,they sent me an empty. I could not get the empty unlocked to see if it was. Called central and they said they would have to call a vendor. Long story short after i beat on it with a hammer and everything else i could think of it unlocked. It only took me an extra 15 minutes.

I ran a meet the other day,they sent me an empty. I could not get the empty unlocked to see if it was. Called central and they said they would have to call a vendor. Long story short after i beat on it with a hammer and everything else i could think of it unlocked. It only took me an extra 15 minutes.

They were going to make you sit and wait wherever to send a vender out just to make sure it was empty???? That is rediculous !!!! Of course you did the right thing,,, but good grief ....

Guess that's what I get for never having had an "orientation", I do check to make sure it's empty when hooking at a center but have never checked it at a meet.

Never really thought about it but I guess the other guy might not have done his job and checked it at the center.

What would they do if it had frieght?? Would you have to go and do a laydown? Wouldn't that make the other trailer late? Or would they try and find a lose center for you to swap for an empty?

FM

FM, I'm not sure what they would do if an empty had freight... I would guess if you both had "empties", they'd send the one with freight back where it came from.
Other than that,,, always remember to call central when pulling an empty from a dark center, or meet. Even if its your center and they dispatched you with an empty, if everyone is gone,, call central before leaving. They are getting real picky on that.

how man fedex drivers does it take to open a lock? just kidding i always find it easier to drive around on my route with the back door open.the trailer gets empty faster and i get done quicker.only problem is i lost 4 hand trucks and 9 pallet jacks last month:hysterical: :nutkick:

how man fedex drivers does it take to open a lock? just kidding i always find it easier to drive around on my route with the back door open.the trailer gets empty faster and i get done quicker.only problem is i lost 4 hand trucks and 9 pallet jacks last month:hysterical: :nutkick:

As long as you didn't sign them out,,, be like Schultz from Hogan's Heroes,,, "I Know Nothing" !!!! :hysterical:

Hey guys lets wait a minute, these locks are aproved by the Homeland Security. I'm sure the suits put more time and effort in the research of these locks than you realize. I'll bet they had one of these on there desks for at least a week, maybe longer. They may have even stuck a key in and unlocked it a couple times and I'm sure they never would have imagined something so shiney and pretty would ever rust.

I need to revise my previous statement now that I've had to use quite a few more of these locks.

I don't care for them either.

I've had 2 pop open going down the road, one I had to use the key to lock it back, and one I could hardly turn the key due to ice.

Just not good ! Old locks were never this much trouble.

you guys have to sign out equipment?we all have our own that we lock up every night with our own locks and chains.
We used to lock up our stuff with our locks but its been so long ago since I was in the city P&D. We would be charged $125.00 if we lost a 2 wheeler,that was 5 TMs ago now we have CCMs and I don't recall seeing anything locked to the rail anymore

Years ago we tried to lock up our jacks and two wheelers. Waste of time. Eye bolts screwed into walls would be pulled loose. Sometimes locks and chains would be cut by bolt cutters.
Now all but a few jacks and two wheelers are locked in trailer and parked on lot at night. Handfull left on dock for hub operation.
Jacks aren't assigned but drivers do mark them as theirs and get same one everyday. Most guys take care of them and secure them in trailers. Others let them roll and bang around. Turn them over. Every few months they're having trouble with their jacks.

I heard from our shop today that there is a hold on the new abloy locks. Shop was told to stop installing them due to problems with them locking.