FedEx Freight | new locks

Where do those bolt seals come from ? Are those from us , or customers ????

Those are usually on FXF West trailers that have HazMat. They have to bolt them since most of them didn't start getting locks until just recently. I believe it's a DOT mandate that all HazMat loads be locked and that's the way they did it out there.

roog

Reply To Bolt Seals

In The West We Use Them For Hazmat.i Carry Them In My Truck All The Time.i Know Of One Driver From One Of Our So-cal Yards That Got Cought Without One On A Placarded Trlr And Received A $3000.00 Citation. However He Went To Court And Had It Reduced To $1800.00. Ouch!!!!!!

Locking or use of a bolt seal is a California only law. They started it about 4 years ago without making much of an announcement. The first thing most of us knew about the new law was when several of our drivers got written up at the east bound scale on I80 at Antelope. Word got around real fast after that. The law only requires a hard seal on placarded loads. It's a pain in the *** but the passage of the law gave the California Legislature a warm fuzzy. I guess they felt like they had stopped the terrorist cold.

We had those locks for 1 winter...

I work at Holland and the brains up top bought those same locks.We had to sign for our key and would be written up if it got lost.They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on these locks that were supposed to be mandatory and now we don't use them at all...after 1 winter they all stopped(and I mean ALL) working. They corrode on the inside. Look at any Holland trailer and you will see these locks hanging on the door but not in use! Do not worry-you wont have these locks for long!

I really dislike the new locks. Only drivers and supervisors have keys and as a dockey, it sucks finding someone everytime you need a trailer opened.

lock update

pretty close, cause noticed it was a little tough getting latch open.
i will keep my eyes open and get sizes

finally saw another new lock(2nd one with bigger shanks and body) that was compareable to the old master locks. Said something to Red Shirt and reply was that they were more costly then the first batch we have now hanging on the trailer doors now in open position. No one seems to know whats going to happen if anything about getting locks fixed-changed -total replacement???? Well we will do the wait and see.

We have a very large box of the defective Abloy locks in KC, about half the size of an average coffin, that's a lot of locks.

They will be sending them back to Abloy.

roog

some of are vans dont have locks, cm told me we dont have any more old locks, and they wont send us the new ones because of all the problems. so out the gate with no lock,its been like this for months. so much for the rules.

well about 8 or 9 months ago i lost a set of keys which encluded keys to my personal car, and truck, my house misc pad locks at home and the imfamous abloy lock! CCM has yet to do anything no replacement key, nor has he written me up. ??? I have mentioned it many times, and still nothing.:hide:

Larger Abloy locks.

Ok I think we have finally got this right now. Today I had a trailer that had the new style Abloy lock on it , the lock is larger with a much heavier shank on it. The new lock fits very well on the latch and was much easier to work with. I would like to say thank you to all who contributed to the discussion here about these locks. I know that security in GO was keeping a eye on this and watching what we were saying about them. Last of all I would really like to say thank you to the guys down in GO that listened to us. Here are a couple pictures that I took today , notice how much better it fits and the thickness of the shank.

newlock1un4.jpg

newlock2jh5.jpg

trailer doors

Maybe they are taking care of the locks now how about the crappy doors one the last thousand new pups.They will come up a couple of feet and jam.Anyone else having running into this.:cuss: