XPO | New uniforms?

Wow, one extreme to another. We have prisons to take care of the bad element in this world. I do not compare thieves, murders, rapist and so on as one for all and all for one. These people like you have little respect for others and what they have. I do agree that you can't lump everyone into the same category and I have opinions of people that fail to do the right thing in order to better themselves. The difference between you and I is that I don't look down on people just because of the job they have. The guy that cleans the toilet that I just used is probably just as good a person as me or better just less fortunate. If by chance I catch my garbage man, on occasion I have brought him out something to drink on a hot day and my wife has even made him cookies for Christmas. Am I a better person them him, no. Do I look down my nose at him, no. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Sometimes you get disappointed but most of the time you will be rewarded with a smile.

My opinion of our uniforms? Does it matter? Probably not. I do not care for them but I wear them in honor of the company. If they want to dress us up like Bozo the clown to advertise their business I can either do it or look for another job. I do not think that white is a good idea since white gets dirtier than any other color and when you are walking around in public, a dirty uniform looks bad no matter what color it is. So white shows it all. The darker the better. Solid color would be more my idea of presentable but I don't make the decisions.

So be nice to others, work with the company and try to keep a positive outlook. I am not saying everyone can be positive all the time but it is worth a try.

From a low life, flunky truck driver.
I've got to say the Merdock has the most positive attitude of anybody associated with this Con-way forum. He's smart too.. Go back and read his posts over the last 3 years. Your jumping on the wrong person...

I've got to say the Merdock has the most positive attitude of anybody associated with this Con-way forum. He's smart too.. Go back and read his posts over the last 3 years. Your jumping on the wrong person...

ditto

Rat

Merdock has some valid points....

I wanted to wear the CCX whites...I don't give a damn about the blues...they are too generic...no individuality...and I am not so sure that was not the intent. I believe the blues were the invention of Dave M....from the Southern region...another misguided decision.

I was proud of the "Service Excellence" patches we carried in the old CCX division...it distinguished us from our competitors. IIRC the reason for their demise was to not belittle those with less seniority than those who had more...a rather pathetic excuse.

My position has always been and always will be if you want to be a cut above your competition then act like it. And we used to do that. If you want to be the premier carrier to work for then put forth the effort to sustain that mindset...we need to look the part before playing the part...after all it is all about perception.

And Merdock is right on another point...morale has a lot to do with how we look. If you want generic results then look generic as we currently appear. This goes hand in hand with the appearance of our equipment...and the maintenance of same...which has been seriously lacking in the last year. You want us to be proud of the brand then give something to drive and pull that I am proud of. The current line-up of junk does nothing to foment that level of pride.

Con-Way under the tutelage of Johnny Dangerously has fallen way short of what they should be considering what they want.

Rat

Rat, I agree with you on most of your comment. Like I said earlier, whites show everything and I don't think that white is an optimal color for us considering the work we do. It can be dirty and you get sweaty. After a guy gets off of work and goes home but stops at the grocery store to get some things and people see him in a dirty uniform shirt doesn't look good for the company.

Dirty torn and ugly uniforms, dirty and not well maintained trucks, equipment with different logos and colors and so on have a huge image impact. This is why I can not for the life of me to see our old equipment running down the road with all these different colors on them. I do have a huge problem with that. Don't you drive down the road and look at other equipment and see old, poor painted, poorly maintained equipment and think, wow, that company is not doing well? I have seen some real nice equipment from YRC going down the road and if I didn't know better would think that company is doing well. Compared what I was driving and how it looks, well it was just down right embarrassing.

So yes, how you look, how equipment looks has a huge part on how a company looks in the public eye!

To be honest I'll wear what ever and like it, they pay me to wear so I don't care. Its not like my other uniform that I wear with pride and as meaning to my self and others.

Rat, I agree with you on most of your comment. Like I said earlier, whites show everything and I don't think that white is an optimal color for us considering the work we do. It can be dirty and you get sweaty. After a guy gets off of work and goes home but stops at the grocery store to get some things and people see him in a dirty uniform shirt doesn't look good for the company.

Dirty torn and ugly uniforms, dirty and not well maintained trucks, equipment with different logos and colors and so on have a huge image impact. This is why I can not for the life of me to see our old equipment running down the road with all these different colors on them. I do have a huge problem with that. Don't you drive down the road and look at other equipment and see old, poor painted, poorly maintained equipment and think, wow, that company is not doing well? I have seen some real nice equipment from YRC going down the road and if I didn't know better would think that company is doing well. Compared what I was driving and how it looks, well it was just down right embarrassing.

So yes, how you look, how equipment looks has a huge part on how a company looks in the public eye!

Oh Yeah!...white shows everything!

You start as the white knight at the beginning of the day and by the time your day ends depending on you work level you may look like crap...but the shippers knew you did a days work to get to them and they respected that...at least in my neck of the woods.

Stopped in the grocery after work...dirty white shirt...there is man who made his wage for the day!

There is much more to the perception of success that a clean uniform...successful people look successful...they stand out...a cut above and beyond...regardless if their uniform is dirty of otherwise.

St. John and company neither recognizes that or simply doesn't care!!!

Rat

You start as the white knight at the beginning of the day and by the time your day ends depending on you work level you may look like crap...but the shippers knew you did a days work to get to them and they respected that...at least in my neck of the woods.

Stopped in the grocery after work...dirty white shirt...there is man who made his wage for the day!

There is much more to the perception of success that a clean uniform...successful people look successful...they stand out...a cut above and beyond...regardless if their uniform is dirty of otherwise.

Rat
I am kinda glad the white shirt went bye bye. My old boss Jeff would Bust my balls every 6 months to order new shirt because they were grey. Dave M, Jerry and Dick would say something about it. I always told that I'm not the guy who ordered white shirts for a truckdriver and dockworker. We as some fun with it.

Rat

Oh yeah, I am in a grocery store and some guy comes in dirty sweaty and doesn't smell all that pleasant and that is what I think. "that man is successful and is a cut above". No, I think, man, couldn't he clean up before he came in here? Also, if I have a company and a nice clean well dressed employee comes on my dock, I would appreciate that. Now, if a company sends me someone who is dirty and doesn't smell nice, I am thinking what the hell? Do I respect him because he is dirty? Hell no. Do I respect him for the job he does for me? Yes. Of course you know that I could do a job and walk away clean and someone else does the same job and is a mess. Difference in people. Dirty is not a great image. Would you appreciate your doctor coming in dirty? Your dentist?

I am kinda glad the white shirt went bye bye. My old boss Jeff would Bust my balls every 6 months to order new shirt because they were grey. Dave M, Jerry and Dick would say something about it. I always told that I'm not the guy who ordered white shirts for a truckdriver and dockworker. We as some fun with it.
I remember Uncle Jerry saying he liked seeing a driver dirty because it meant he had been working hard. Ahhh the good old days when Uncle Jerry was here!!! I agree the white showed dirt too easy but they were cool in the summer time. I would like to see our shirts go to a light blue. Wouldn't show dirt as much as white and still cool in the summer. Whatever happens , I hate these table clothes.

I remember Uncle Jerry saying he liked seeing a driver dirty because it meant he had been working hard. Ahhh the good old days when Uncle Jerry was here!!! I agree the white showed dirt too easy but they were cool in the summer time. I would like to see our shirts go to a light blue. Wouldn't show dirt as much as white and still cool in the summer. Whatever happens , I hate these table clothes.

My whole point was misconstrued...we are working class folks...hard workers that earn their living by the sweat of their brow and the knowledge they possess.

There was a point made about doctors and dentists having dirty whites....and how one would feel about them if they showed up to treat you in not-so-clean apparel.

Apples and oranges..Drs. are in the sanitary field...they have to be by virtue of contamination. Dangerous infections lurk everywhere in their environ.

We on the other hand work in very dirty environment. Added to that the different and varied places we service. We are going to get dirty...I have seen folks in very dirty uniforms in the grocery on their way home from work and think to myself 'they must have had a very rough day'. And at the same time thought 'there is a real working person. (politically correct)...they earn their money!'

If one wants to look so pristine at the end of the day...you are in the wrong biz. We are in a very dirty business...in more ways than one!

I stand by my original analysis...the whites were a cut above and beyond...we stood out...we were noticed. And how many of your customers in the Central Region still refer to you as CCX? That happened for a reason...we were something different and looked different than our competitors...

Now we look like the Pepsi man...or something similar...or hell!...we just look plain worse!

Rat

My whole point was misconstrued...we are working class folks...hard workers that earn their living by the sweat of their brow and the knowledge they possess.

There was a point made about doctors and dentists having dirty whites....and how one would feel about them if they showed up to treat you in not-so-clean apparel.

Apples and oranges..Drs. are in the sanitary field...they have to be by virtue of contamination. Dangerous infections lurk everywhere in their environ.

We on the other hand work in very dirty environment. Added to that the different and varied places we service. We are going to get dirty...I have seen folks in very dirty uniforms in the grocery on their way home from work and think to myself 'they must have had a very rough day'. And at the same time thought 'there is a real working person. (politically correct)...they earn their money!'

If one wants to look so pristine at the end of the day...you are in the wrong biz. We are in a very dirty business...in more ways than one!

I stand by my original analysis...the whites were a cut above and beyond...we stood out...we were noticed. And how many of your customers in the Central Region still refer to you as CCX? That happened for a reason...we were something different and looked different than our competitors...

Now we look like the Pepsi man...or something similar...or hell!...we just look plain worse!

Rat
I agree with what you are saying Rat. Those white shirts DID stand out and customers DID like them. Now we are just drivers in the crowd.

I too liked the white shirts with the patches.
They were professional, unique, (except PittOhio) and still conservative. All business.
And talk about brand recognition - CCX DSR's looked sharp out there.

Anyone think they'll ask us what we think about how the new uni's should look?
I've been told on here that the new Prez cares and listens. I kinda care what I wear most of the day. Or do we still need to be patient and give him more time to demonstrate those caring and listening qualities?

In the mean time, who ever signed off on these current uni's should be terminated.

Everyone wants to talk about looks, what about comfort? I hate the slacks, they sag down past my butt and they give me a rash on my legs. The shirts feel like cardboard against my skin, especially in the summer when it's hot and sweaty outside. The material used to make our uniforms contains 65 percent polyester, sheesh.

I couldn't care less about the color scheme or patches. I think we'd be a much happier bunch of drivers if we could wear some sort of denim slacks or jeans and polo shirts which contain more cotton than polyester. Yes, it's probably more expensive, but I think the company would be doing right by making an investment in the comfort of the employees who go out and move the freight.

I've been told on here that the new Prez cares and listens. I kinda care what I wear most of the day. Or do we still need to be patient and give him more time to demonstrate those caring and listening qualities?

No,...that time has came and went. Was nothing more than lip service to make us feel good...in the same vein as the surveys...that have not now and probably never will be honestly revealed.

Just some more Kool-Aid to keep us dumb and numb to the real agenda.

That agenda being one of take...take...take!!!!

The current administration is well...dishonest...to say the least!

Talk out one side of the mouths and then do something else out the other.

This company is administrated by manipulators and thieves...only out to serve their own best interest and their bonus/stock option check.

The dishonesty comes in the lack of survey results....the discontinuity of the monthly video updates (so as they cannot be held accountable),....and the takebacks which they so desperately needed and then fund the damn NFL...

Many of you won't say it but I will...John L. is something else to be desired. Not the kind of persona presented.

Rat

Many of you won't say it but I will...John L. is something else to be desired. Not the kind of persona presented.

Rat

Gee just a few months ago you would have followed him into war ... I would rather have John L as pres rather than mayor mcfatbeard ...

Gee just a few months ago you would have followed him into war ... I would rather have John L as pres rather than mayor mcfatbeard ...

You are absolutely correct...I would have.

But I have in the interim come to realize what they are all about...and it sure as hell ain't about you and me.

I realize companies are in the biz to make money...that I get.

What I don't get is the necessity to feel they can make that money off the backs of good hard working folks simply because some other company took a cut.

And then go and fund some pet project that makes them feel all fuzzy inside.

Rat

Our tablecloth shirts are still better than the uniforms that they use at Highland Water Co. in Littleton, Co. Yes, they actually wear kilts, its one way to stand out and differentiate yourself from the 1000's of other water companies out there.

Picture%201.jpg

Andy Bosselman: Men in Kilts