TForce | New Union

Skeeter said:
You forgot all the corruption. Oh I guess that is ok as long as you get a little dab on your plate. We there are a lot of people that don't agree with you. :ranting2:
Even with the corruption of the past, which is rare if even there at all now, it's the best deal out there for LTL.....alot of people agree with that too.

So where are we going?
Most of UPS Freight remains non-union.
Salt Lake,and Reno MC companies have a paper agreement with the Teamsters.
UPS Freight Indy is hammering out a model contract with the Teamsters.
Harrisburg,and KC are going toward the APWA.

And the winner is???????????
WELL I'm with you Skeeter time will tell?

Steve, your skepticism is giving too much credit to Van. The success that they've enjoyed in Harrisburg and Kansas City and across multiple other centers in the south and north is not a result of some vendetta to screw the Teamsters over

I don't think skepticism has anything to do with Van and his problem with the teamsters. He was upset about the change in the pension, so it's not totally ridiculous to think he's using us to get some bay back.

Here's a question for you, will UPS even recognize the apwa? Are you guy's already claiming victory at these terminals mentioned above? Will UPS want to deal with two different organizations representing their employees?

There are alot of if's with the apwa as I have stated before, and I'm not a gambling man. Especially when it comes to my future.

The pension is the big issue inside Parcel. We have been serioiusly screwed over which initially prompted this movement.

Why would you think just because it happened to parcel, it will happen to us?

Apostolic said:
So where are we going?
Most of UPS Freight remains non-union.
UPS Freight Indy is hammering out a model contract with the Teamsters.
Harrisburg,and KC are going toward the APWA.

And the winner is???????????
WELL I'm with you Skeeter time will tell?

DITTO! :USA:

Apo, Salt Lake is no longer under a teamster contract.

Harrisburg,and KC are going toward the APWA

Is there any proof of the apwa being the majority at these terminals? Anyone from HRS and KC have any numbers?

steve5 said:
Apo, Salt Lake is no longer under a teamster contract.

Is there any proof of the apwa being the majority at these terminals? Anyone from HRS and KC have any numbers?
I don't have any numbers because I run sleeper and am not at the terminal much to hear the talk, but does it matter....UPS agreed to acknowlede the teamsters...not the APWA....and if we must go union the APWA is not the way to go.

I am starting to think UPS wants us to be union, with some of the changes they are making...

Sick pay/short term disability....
lower starting pay for part time dock....
new drivers have to sign a paper agreeing that if they get laid off they will work the dock for $8/hour.....
no more sunday extra board.....
and I heard the other night that drivers won't be permitted to run a 6th trip...even if there is freight to move and not enough volunteers to move it....

not sure how true these are, but thats what I heard.

I may have to see if the mods will let me change my name because at the rate things are going it will be false.:17:

nospinzone said:
Your arguement of no track record is the only one that holds water. I've made my decision based on the comparison of the APWA's plan for success and IBT's plan and recent past performance. APWA's pension goals are possible because ALL of your pension contributions will go to you, as opposed to the Teamster plans where 60cents of your dollar goes to a non-UPS retiree. APWA can double the retirement checks for a new hire under their plan because the member will be getting ALL of their money instead of half. Negotiating leverage comes from the unity of the employees. IBT's only leverage is the willingness of the UPS employees to collectively threaten with a strike. The leverage wasn't there when IBT went for Overnite the last time, resulting in IBT's embarrasing defeat. If the people of UPSF choose to collectively pursue representation from APWA, the unity and leverage will be there. Harrisburg is going APWA because collectively and in unity THEY WANT APWA. The people have done the leg work. Eason and Skillman hardly had to lift a finger outside of answering the barrage of phone calls from Pa.

Who's to say the same thing won't happen with IBT. Hell, that's already happened with IBT. Hoffa Campaign Busted for Laundering Members' Dues AGAIN Teamster $100,000 Club Check out that club link. The salaries that these guys are getting are outrageous. APWA has set up transparency and membership oversight to prevent such wasteful managment.

I agree. But there would be just as much leverage if not more with Blue and Brown represented by APWA. Leverage is only the capability of executing a financially threatening strike, which is the only thing UPS cares about. IBT's vast and distracting interests/liabilities that rely on UPS dues and pension contributions will prevent them from aggresively negotiating with UPS. Teamster's need UPS more than UPS needs them.

Your statement here makes total sense. Pensions are having trouble. And as a UPSF employee, with a currently well funded retirement plan, you want to give that money over to the Teamsters so they can throw it into their money pit? APWA is a vehicle that would allow, if the people on the Blue side desire, to stay in the current retirement plan or join the APWA pension fund. The flexibility is there which allows the member to choose which direction to go.

But thats just my opinion.

The reason for the defeat of the teamster's in the past, was a concauction of a numerous thing's.
1. The co. had just recently come out of bankruptcy.(Within 10 Years) Thanx to UP.
2. Leo also said, and meant, and did , (as far as I am concearned) Overtime ( sorry guy's) Will promote better job's, equipment monies, bennies, and so on and so on. Every year things were better.
3. Hoffa made this public statement,"If we did not join the union, He will shut us down". Why would I want to vote for a person with such a goal.
4. The overall atmosphere in most terminal's I've visited was pleasant in comparison to a teamster terminal.
5. Most driver's as long as they were doing thier job was not bothered.
And I could go on and on.
The differance, as I had said before, is we have the clutch of the entire co. being teamster's .
If we now nothing of the retirement yet, which must still be negotiated by the teamster's and officials of UPS, how can we say at this time that we will not end up with a SEPF that can be just as profitable? If not we can refuse the contract...
As far as the pention fund I will say that if my best friend was to jump off a bridge , I won't, No experience could lead to disaster. I could go back in time and get all kind's of specific's on people who launder monies, our polititian's do it every day, at our cost.
So as far as I am concearned there is no sustinanace to be craved in that statement.
I have no problem with the APWA per say, I now very little of them Aside from what I argue, which I think most bare in agreement with, But if a salesmen want's to sell a car, he or she will get in your face!!! I see that happening here.
If harrisburgh goes APWA, and the rest teamster's, then I would say "may the best man win" And maybe in time the co. may infact switch over if a track record is proven..
Another thing I think is quite funny, is alot of rumor's state we will get better bennies and working condition's than what the teamster's can offer, Is god at the neg. table for them, we are freight, not small package, I am expecting better than what we currently have, but on the same note how can the APWA do better?
Just on pention is not enough, there are farmore thing's to consider.

nospinzone said:
Steve, your skepticism is giving too much credit to Van. The success that they've enjoyed in Harrisburg and Kansas City and across multiple other centers in the south and north is not a result of some vendetta to screw the Teamsters over. It's a result of your own people within UPSF wanting a union free of corruption that will place the members wishes as priority.

The pension is the big issue inside Parcel. We have been serioiusly screwed over which initially prompted this movement. But that doesn't have to be your big issue. The direction that a Blue division of APWA will go will be determined by the choices you and your co-workers will make. The contract that APWA negotiates for parcel will be addressing parcel concerns. And the contract they negotiate for freight will address the concerns that you guys voice, such as cutting routes and adding part-timers to cut full-time employees, which I hear is becoming an issue. The charter was set up to make this union membership driven. The business agents that will service your center will be chosen by you and your co-workers. Don't take my word for it. Talk to your people in other centers across the country. Pick up the phone and address your concerns to Van or Danny. Or send them an email and they will call you. Allow them to give you feedback on how they have laid the framework for a union that is strong enough to handle Uncle Buster, but flexible enough to respond to membership needs, and how a strong unified Brown and Blue side is in the best interests of everyone. I fear that this false vendetta impression that you have regarding Van will preclude you from objectively looking at how you can use the APWA to achieve improvements in your center for you and your co-workers. But best of luck in your decision.

Steve, your skepticism is giving too much credit to Van. The success that they've enjoyed in Harrisburg and Kansas City and across multiple other centers in the south and north is not a result of some vendetta to screw the Teamsters over. It's a result of your own people within UPSF wanting a union free of corruption that will place the members wishes as priority.

This statement sound's like something out of storyland, Is this the BS you are spreading, This is nothing more than a closed minded view of what everybody strives for and will never happen. Please spare me the bedtime stories. I go to bed everynite hoping to get a raise and lower taxes and inflation will go down, that never happen's either . Are you sure you do not work for the enquirer?
Ask van or danny if I get some diamond studded, ruby red slipper's at the end of that ride!!!!! and I will consider catching a ride with my neighbor's house south...

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
I don't have any numbers because I run sleeper and am not at the terminal much to hear the talk, but does it matter....UPS agreed to acknowlede the teamsters...not the APWA....and if we must go union the APWA is not the way to go.

I am starting to think UPS wants us to be union, with some of the changes they are making...

Sick pay/short term disability....
lower starting pay for part time dock....
new drivers have to sign a paper agreeing that if they get laid off they will work the dock for $8/hour.....
no more sunday extra board.....
and I heard the other night that drivers won't be permitted to run a 6th trip...even if there is freight to move and not enough volunteers to move it....

not sure how true these are, but thats what I heard.

I may have to see if the mods will let me change my name because at the rate things are going it will be false.:17:

Hearing the same up here.... No APWA . Where are the horses????:bananalama: :bananalama:

What horses?
My wife has four of them,all they do is eat hay,and poop,so she has to clean up our barn all the time.
Myself I wouldn't give you two cents for any horse.

My wife has four of them,all they do is eat hay,and poop,so she has to clean up our barn all the time.

You can use the end product to pay for the feed can't you? Don't they use road apples for fertilizer?

Do you have to pay taxes on the profits when you sell it? I mean, You paid taxes on the feed. You shouldn't have to pay income tax on the profit on the other end.

I better stop, I'm confusing myself.

UPSF_GLAD TO BE NON-UNION said:
I don't have any numbers because I run sleeper and am not at the terminal much to hear the talk,

Same here, being gone 10 days at a time I don't want to be at the terminal any longer than I have to.

but does it matter....

I hope it matters to those that it affects. I know if it affected me it would matter. In my opinion it's a mistake.

I may have to see if the mods will let me change my name because at the rate things are going it will be false.

Ah keep it, for nostalgia.

Steve5 asks,

The numbers for each terminal haven't reached majority yet. I am not close enough to Harrisburgh to verify any count, but I can verify the K.C. count.

I am out of the K.C. facility and can tell you the card count is enough to force a vote with the NLRB right now. However we would like to get majority signed and hope to avoid a vote with a card check. We are VERY close to having majority. The APWA has a substantial amout of support here in K.C.. I hope this answers your question.

As far as support within other UPSF terminals for the APWA. There are many facilities that have already signed at well over majority,including several at 100%, and many more currently in the process of signing authorization cards.

We can see that UPS Freight is a different company that what we have been used to working for and with the changes that they have made, it doesn't seem that they care one way or the other if we are represented.

I know I don't need to remind everyone on this board what the Teamsters have done to us in the past. Bridges were burned in K.C. with the IBT and they are an organization that we are CHOOSING not to be affiliated with.

Equalizer

My best advice to anyone that thinks they will get a better deal with the APWA than they would with The Teamsters is to talk to a NEMF driver and ask them just how much a non freight union has done for them.

Trust me, it's not much

CFer said:
My best advice to anyone that thinks they will get a better deal with the APWA than they would with The Teamsters is to talk to a NEMF driver and ask them just how much a non freight union has done for them.

Trust me, it's not much
Couldn't have said it any better CFer. The shop steward is in tight with the manager up my way. The drivers say that they never win any greivances because the stew is a stooly.

Equalizer said:
The numbers for each terminal haven't reached majority yet. I am not close enough to Harrisburgh to verify any count, but I can verify the K.C. count.

I am out of the K.C. facility and can tell you the card count is enough to force a vote with the NLRB right now. However we would like to get majority signed and hope to avoid a vote with a card check. We are VERY close to having majority. The APWA has a substantial amout of support here in K.C.. I hope this answers your question

Well, I had no idea they had this much support.

I know I don't need to remind everyone on this board what the Teamsters have done to us in the past. Bridges were burned in K.C. with the IBT and they are an organization that we are CHOOSING not to be affiliated with.
Like I've said before, I don't know what they've done in the past, but I worked Union before and know workers that have not experienced "what the Teamsters have done in the past". (Quotations aren't ment to be disrespectful) Since UPS has agreed to the card check and don't seem yet to be putting up a fight against us being represented, I don't think that the rest of us will have a problem. I am by no means saying this from any kind of experience, just an opinion and a hope.
The Teamsters in my opinion is the only way to go for me.JMO The apwa will forget and drop our concerns to take care of their own, UPS (parcel). Are they going to represent and fight for you from one location?

this rock heads are looking at the BIG$$$"s they will vote apwa and have brown on theire face when all is said and done.