FedEx Freight | NLRB seized ballot box and stopped the vote in PKB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you consider "I went to school with the guy" a work ethic? I think not. Should I have to wait over a personal friendship? I think not. Should I feel slighted? I think not. I have been treated in different ways by different people throughout my life. I do not carry myself any different than any other driver. Many drivers wave at me through the windshield as we meet and pass. Should I feel slighted because someone does not acknowledge me that is non union? I think not.

There has been something else interesting to note as the posts roll around these boards. I made a conscience effort to say "brother" in my posts or acknowledge the poster in that manner that has been very adamant against the union. I have received a mixed but mainly negative response. Maybe your house could use some straightening up as well?

The part you conveniently forget is where the non-union guy was forced to wait while a union man got off break. Then had to watch as the union men helped a union driver out by unloading him first. Had the union folks just unloaded the non-union man in the first place, he wouldn't have had to rely on his friend showing up to help. Nor would he have witnessed them all getting up to help their "brother".

Everyone is entitled to a break. But isn't it convenient when absolutely everyone goes on break the second you show up? And isn't it even more convenient that they end their break early just to help a "brother" out, but not you? Sounds a little bit like that favoritism thing everyone talks about.

I didn't accuse you, or anyone else here, of treating others unfairly. I said it's an image problem the union has. My house needs no cleaning. I am not on either side of the debate because I'm a Canadian contractor. I just input on broader topics, like why union men can't understand why drivers would vote no to representation.

No, actually is wasn't. As my original post started, I've been to those docks....
As for the 15 or so that were sitting around, I didn't say they were on break, said they said John was on break....I'm not sure what they were doing other than sitting there when I walked in. Some did however jump up when the Yellow driver walked in.
Not a thought process, I lived it every time I went there.
And yes, had it not been for me growing up with John's boy, I probably would've had to wait longer...again, not a thought process, it's reality....and even you agreed.
Networking, just as your brotherhood, does have its perks!
Not meant to slight the Union worker? You lived it every time you went there? So you know what time John went to break and you showed up at the same time to witness this? Just to witness the same 15 sitting around and not help you? Or did you plan your delivery exactly the same time as the Yellow driver? Is that what your saying? Wow, you just undermined Purple Hammers post on how FedEx utilizes the cross training methods to their advantage.

The part you conveniently forget is where the non-union guy was forced to wait while a union man got off break. Then had to watch as the union men helped a union driver out by unloading him first. Had the union folks just unloaded the non-union man in the first place, he wouldn't have had to rely on his friend showing up to help. Nor would he have witnessed them all getting up to help their "brother".

Everyone is entitled to a break. But isn't it convenient when absolutely everyone goes on break the second you show up? And isn't it even more convenient that they end their break early just to help a "brother" out, but not you? Sounds a little bit like that favoritism thing everyone talks about.

I didn't accuse you, or anyone else here, of treating others unfairly. I said it's an image problem the union has. My house needs no cleaning. I am not on either side of the debate because I'm a Canadian contractor. I just input on broader topics, like why union men can't understand why drivers would vote no to representation.

I didn't forget anything. It has been established that John was on break and RedRacer was told John was on break. Those guys for whatever reason decided to help the Yellow driver. It's not my business, it's not his. I see it every day on my route. I walk into a break room to the crew sitting down. Pull up a chair and sit down. First question is "you guys about done with break?" Not too often will no one get up to help. I know some of them quite well, others I don't. I have seen this work the other way many times. It happens. Union or not. I also mentioned the different entities we all deal with. You rub someone the wrong way and your future encounters will be very unpleasant.

You might want to rethink your response about your house. Contractor or not, you treat a customer with disrespect and I guarantee Freddy will show you who's house it is.

Not meant to slight the Union worker? You lived it every time you went there? So you know what time John went to break and you showed up at the same time to witness this? Just to witness the same 15 sitting around and not help you? Or did you plan your delivery exactly the same time as the Yellow driver? Is that what your saying? Wow, you just undermined Purple Hammers post on how FedEx utilizes the cross training methods to their advantage.
Now you're just overreacting!
Never meant to slight the union workers, but if the truth hurts....even you suggested this happens in your original post!
Lived it every time? Yes. John was the one employee there that would unload their freight when I came in. When he was off, I unloaded it myself with a pallet jack then played hell trying to get somebody to sign for it, it was like pulling teeth.
Also, it's not like I went there everyday, most union companies use union carriers. Never made a pickup of any kind, only deliveries.

As for Hammer's post, feel free to ask any driver that went there, they'll tell you they had to wait....which is why the fright was usually put on me, I could get in and out in a decent time!
No matter how much cross training you do, your still at the mercy of the customer!

I didn't forget anything. It has been established that John was on break and RedRacer was told John was on break. Those guys for whatever reason decided to help the Yellow driver. It's not my business, it's not his. I see it every day on my route. I walk into a break room to the crew sitting down. Pull up a chair and sit down. First question is "you guys about done with break?" Not too often will no one get up to help. I know some of them quite well, others I don't. I have seen this work the other way many times. It happens. Union or not. I also mentioned the different entities we all deal with. You rub someone the wrong way and your future encounters will be very unpleasant.

You might want to rethink your response about your house. Contractor or not, you treat a customer with disrespect and I guarantee Freddy will show you who's house it is.
I'm a road man, but I used to work automotive before I came to FedEx. I never saw asking nicely make a difference. GM union men only had to work 4 trailers in an 8 hour shift. The non-union warehouses moved as many as 16.

Did the union folks ask for such little work? I don't know. I know it was in the contract. I know they had to be paid overtime to work another trailer, for the duration of time they worked it. And I know they'd do it voluntarily if it was a Teamster trailer. I know they wouldn't lift a finger for a non-union because it wasn't in the contract, regardless of the demeanor of the driver.

Frankly, Fred can say whatever he likes to me. I don't care. I threatened to shred my contract and drop my plates the last time they pissed me off. FedEx flinched. I have no loyalty to FedEx or Fred Smith, and I'm not afraid of taking my business elsewhere if they forget who does the work for them.

Now you're just overreacting!
Never meant to slight the union workers, but if the truth hurts....even you suggested this happens in your original post!
Lived it every time? Yes. John was the one employee there that would unload their freight when I came in. When he was off, I unloaded it myself with a pallet jack then played hell trying to get somebody to sign for it, it was like pulling teeth.
Also, it's not like I went there everyday, most union companies use union carriers. Never made a pickup of any kind, only deliveries.

As for Hammer's post, feel free to ask any driver that went there, they'll tell you they had to wait....which is why the fright was usually put on me, I could get in and out in a decent time!
No matter how much cross training you do, your still at the mercy of the customer!

What I suggested in my original post was there was a day not long ago many of us old farts remembered. Long before you were in the game. Double breasting and deregulation changed the game. That card had some perks associated with it. A few old farts acknowledged that.

This was a simple exercise. Who would bite. What seems to be changing is the story. It has become much different from the first post of yours. Now John was the "one employee that would unload their freight when I came in?" Good thing son of John was there or you may have been forced to unload it yourself with a pallet jack and search high and low for someone to sign for it. This gets better and better.

I seriously doubt that Stockton "blindsided" them...I'd say it "may" have came earlier than expected, but it was expected none the less...it's California, they've been trying to organize for years!
Well management did not foresee them filing. Their attention was/is focused elsewhere so I would classify that as a blindside.

What I suggested in my original post was there was a day not long ago many of us old farts remembered. Long before you were in the game. Double breasting and deregulation changed the game. That card had some perks associated with it. A few old farts acknowledged that.

This was a simple exercise. Who would bite. What seems to be changing is the story. It has become much different from the first post of yours. Now John was the "one employee that would unload their freight when I came in?" Good thing son of John was there or you may have been forced to unload it yourself with a pallet jack and search high and low for someone to sign for it. This gets better and better.
Again, I went there, I made the deliveries, I lived it...as did others!
I say did because most of those jobs were sent to Mexico because of the unions high labor cost...I meant poor management...I'm sure they still except deliveries, not sure if we even go there anymore...although it looks dead now compared to the old days!
The story never changed, you can claim to be an exercise if you wish, you're just not happy with the answer you got...someone actually agreeing with you!

Again, I went there, I made the deliveries, I lived it...as did others!
I say did because most of those jobs were sent to Mexico because of the unions high labor cost...I meant poor management...I'm sure they still except deliveries, not sure if we even go there anymore...although it looks dead now compared to the old days!
The story never changed, you can claim to be an exercise if you wish, you're just not happy with the answer you got...someone actually agreeing with you!
Damn those high labor costs anyhow. Why is it the cost of that finished product continues to rise despite the savings?

I think one could make a good argument that the story has changed quite a bit since your first offering Redracer.

Last edited:
I'm a road man, but I used to work automotive before I came to FedEx. I never saw asking nicely make a difference. GM union men only had to work 4 trailers in an 8 hour shift. The non-union warehouses moved as many as 16.

Did the union folks ask for such little work? I don't know. I know it was in the contract. I know they had to be paid overtime to work another trailer, for the duration of time they worked it. And I know they'd do it voluntarily if it was a Teamster trailer. I know they wouldn't lift a finger for a non-union because it wasn't in the contract, regardless of the demeanor of the driver.

Frankly, Fred can say whatever he likes to me. I don't care. I threatened to shred my contract and drop my plates the last time they pissed me off. FedEx flinched. I have no loyalty to FedEx or Fred Smith, and I'm not afraid of taking my business elsewhere if they forget who does the work for them.
Just a question mind you, but are you expected to provide anything more than your contract obligations state with Uncle Fred?

Why would he want to nullify an election that's going to go in the companies favor?
I'd say Mr Brock probably knows the rules seeing how he was with your organization for years.
Wow, and you know the outcome? You were looking over everyone's shoulder as they filled out their ballot? Asked each and every person how they voted? We won't know anything until the ballots are counted.

Just a question mind you, but are you expected to provide anything more than your contract obligations state with Uncle Fred?
FedEx expects us to follow company rules when on company property. They have an age policy regarding new hire equipment. Our trucks must be white. And we can be fired for inappropriate behavior on or off company property. We are expected to wear uniforms, as well as carry a badge.

We're pretty much expected to act like employees while providing our service to the contract. But they compensate well for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.