FedEx Freight | NLRB seized ballot box and stopped the vote in PKB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure management expect theirs and others in Cali filing....again, they've been trying for years!
Your management hasn't a clue who is going to petition next. I will say this. I hope the price of jet fuel doesn't rise significantly in the next little while.

FedEx expects us to follow company rules when on company property. They have an age policy regarding new hire equipment. Our trucks must be white. And we can be fired for inappropriate behavior on or off company property. We are expected to wear uniforms, as well as carry a badge.

We're pretty much expected to act like employees while providing our service to the contract. But they compensate well for it.
Much like those workers at the GM plant you spoke of. Following their contract.

Now you're just overreacting!
Never meant to slight the union workers, but if the truth hurts....even you suggested this happens in your original post!
Lived it every time? Yes. John was the one employee there that would unload their freight when I came in. When he was off, I unloaded it myself with a pallet jack then played hell trying to get somebody to sign for it, it was like pulling teeth.
Also, it's not like I went there everyday, most union companies use union carriers. Never made a pickup of any kind, only deliveries.

As for Hammer's post, feel free to ask any driver that went there, they'll tell you they had to wait....which is why the fright was usually put on me, I could get in and out in a decent time!
No matter how much cross training you do, your still at the mercy of the customer!

And the company prostituted your relationship to get their number.

Much like those workers at the GM plant you spoke of. Following their contract.
Maybe. My contract doesn’t stipulate that I have to help out other drivers, even from other carriers, but I do. And I don't judge based on who holds a card and who doesn't. Sometimes being a nice guy works better than saying "I don't have to, so I won't."

We have unassigned drivers at our barn as well. As far as years of experience I agree to a point, however work ethic has a part in the equation as well. Sometimes the senior guy doesn't do as well as the motivated rookie.
Ah yes, the rookie. Those ball busters that cut corners and go running around with their hair on fire. They are a blessing aren't they? I fix their "F" ups on a daily basis. They never seem to be able to replace things where they found them. In their haste to be superman they tend to hinder more than they help. It looks good on paper though. They really ran through that save-a-sort in short order. Man that guy is great! I guess everyone overlooks the damage reports on the other end? If I had a dollar for every air line that was cut by a rookie, I could have retired a few years ago. No thanks, I will take a seasoned veteran.

Maybe. My contract doesn’t stipulate that I have to help out other drivers, even from other carriers, but I do. And I don't judge based on who holds a card and who doesn't. Sometimes being a nice guy works better than saying "I don't have to, so I won't."
Well, my contract doesn't say I can't help another either. But if the language was specific, would you risk discipline or possibly worse?

Well my contract doesn't say I can't help another either. But if the language was specific, would you risk discipline or possibly worse?
Again, funny that the risk is worth it if it's another card holder. I would personally take issue with any contract that told me how much work I was allowed to do in a day.

Again, funny that the risk is worth it if it's another card holder. I would personally take issue with any contract that told me how much work I was allowed to do in a day.
Who says it's worth the risk? Who said anything about how much work you are allowed to do in a day? We are talking specifics regarding whether or not the contract allows for it or not. Plain and simple.

Damn those high labor costs anyhow. Why is it the cost of that finished product continues to rise despite the savings?

I think one could make a good argument that the story has changed quite a bit since your first offering Redracer.
One could argue all day but the fact is the story hasn't changed.

Wow, and you know the outcome? You were looking over everyone's shoulder as they filled out their ballot? Asked each and every person how they voted? We won't know anything until the ballots are counted.
Was I there, no, but I know people who were...you'll be the only one waiting, the rest of us already know the answer.

Who says it's worth the risk? Who said anything about how much work you are allowed to do in a day? We are talking specifics regarding whether or not the contract allows for it or not. Plain and simple.
So charging overtime at risk of discipline is okay if you're doing it for another union worker? I fail to see the difference. To me, fair is fair. Either everyone gets to wait or everyone gets a hand. Shouldn't matter who they are, and if you don't want to risk violating your contract then don't do it for anyone.

Your management hasn't a clue who is going to petition next. I will say this. I hope the price of jet fuel doesn't rise significantly in the next little while.
You are correct...but to think the company would be blindsided by a center in Cali petitioning would be naive, they been trying for years! I think they're more surprised that Cali wasn't first!

Ah yes, the rookie. Those ball busters that cut corners and go running around with their hair on fire. They are a blessing aren't they? I fix their "F" ups on a daily basis. They never seem to be able to replace things where they found them. In their haste to be superman they tend to hinder more than they help. It looks good on paper though. They really ran through that save-a-sort in short order. Man that guy is great! I guess everyone overlooks the damage reports on the other end? If I had a dollar for every air line that was cut by a rookie, I could have retired a few years ago. No thanks, I will take a seasoned veteran.
I too am a seasoned veteran and put to use the knowledge gained over many years of trucking to be as productive as possible, however some use their knowledge to ride the clock so to speak. Also many rookies do make the mistakes you mentioned, some do not. One argument against your seasoned veteran approach is proven at some of the union companies with a mostly veteran workforce. Over the years while productivity has decreased with the union carriers it has increased at Fedex where we have been on a hiring spree unprecedented in our history. Many of these rookies help carry the load in our city operation, and yes they do make mistakes sometimes, but over time they continue to work harder than most of the union brethren who have the "I'm on the clock so what" mentality. That is yet another reason that we are growing while the union carriers are shrinking.

Sure it has. Little by little. Tidbits of information slowly come out. Hell, before long we are going to learn that you were best man at son of Johns wedding.
No, that was actually my brother...but that's a conversation for another thread.
Again, the story hasn't change, maybe you should go back and reread. Tidbits of info only added to the story but the story remains the same none the less!

The one quote that causes many failures at union companies over time is "That's not in my contract" when asked to do a task. I too have faced the union mentality when making deliveries. Arriving 15 minutes before lunch with 1 skid only to be told to wait even if I offered to pull the freight off. That and many other instances of your so called brotherhood being hard to deal with are a real turnoff. Hard to polish an image like that enough to make me consider joining a union.

The one quote that causes many failures at union companies over time is "That's not in my contract" when asked to do a task. I too have faced the union mentality when making deliveries. Arriving 15 minutes before lunch with 1 skid only to be told to wait even if I offered to pull the freight off. That and many other instances of your so called brotherhood being hard to deal with are a real turnoff. Hard to polish an image like that enough to make me consider joining a union.
Your ignorance is nonstop huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.