FedEx Freight | No respect.

Well I read all 8 pages of info and came up with this conclusion. viking and af where good companies to work for then we where bought out by mr. smith. he then thought it would be a good thing to try and improve are services. Some worked and a lot has not. I sure wish that he would see that a lot of employes still stand with him in wanting to be the best LTL carrier out there. But at what cost? We r now just a number and can be let go at the drop of a hat. they train new drivers with no experience turn them loose and then wonder why they have trucks in the ditch most of the time in the winter when they need extra help. I do understand its all about money and its cheaper to put some one in a truck for 48 cents a mile and less vacation time then a more qualified driver. But when you loose a truck and trailer and freight and maybe a life or two when does that justify the savings. As for the snap shop I can see how they want ever terminal to run the same but when you have scm's that beat to their own drum and regional managers that cover things up do to the good old boy system it will never change. As for Central Line they have a job to do just like us and can be kicked to the curb for thinking outside the box. The big picture is they have bosses too that then have to report to a higher authority. So it then goes on to a few people that for what ever reason have the final say. Most of the time those people don't see the whole picture and make their decision based on not understanding what exactly is the problems. So until they start talking to the people who do the work have ideas that might help make this a better place to work again. Treat us like we really matter. We will always be in this same situation. Just my thoughts. Sorry if I rambled on. Just wishing they would care a little more about the whole thing.

I agree with you but the main thing you have to understand is FXF feels if they take any of our suggestions then they are letting some of the control slide to the drivers. They want 100% control so they will not listen to us at all!

One big thing that needs changed is taking some of the power away from central. They should not have absolute power.

between the amount of freight going to the rails and the land vans in and out of the hubs plus now seeing outside trucks pulling our sets all over wth? whats next a iron skillet meal like at petro? like frogs not noticing being boiled if the heat rises slow.. some wont get it till it effects them.. ;-(

:stirthepot: I think that their golden plan is to do away with any runs that don't include dock work in them. That way the shuttle drivers can all work the dock and it will save them tons of money. Any runs over a set amount they will farm out to 3rd parties like they did back before truck deregulation days and claim they are still making a profit since they don't have to pay one of their own drivers to cover the runs. No pay checks, no insurance to deal with, more bang for their buck.

:stirthepot: I think that their golden plan is to do away with any runs that don't include dock work in them. That way the shuttle drivers can all work the dock and it will save them tons of money. Any runs over a set amount they will farm out to 3rd parties like they did back before truck deregulation days and claim they are still making a profit since they don't have to pay one of their own drivers to cover the runs. No pay checks, no insurance to deal with, more bang for their buck.
That's what I said about 11 months ago when this sleigh ride began. The rails will cause most of us to be shuttle to shorthaul, which means dockwork. The no dockwork jobs will be drop terminals like Holbrook. I'm suprised it hasn't happened already, but if the FMCSA goes ahead with their plans of returning us to 10hrs driving and the lawsuits go nowhere, which they never do, a lot of us will be doing dock work.

One big thing that needs changed is taking some of the power away from central. They should not have absolute power.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

There is a reason for centralized control.

If you remove the absolute power of CD what remains is a multitude of influences...each having their input (which would need to be dealt with) adversely affecting the overall operation.

In other words...too many cooks in the kitchen!

A centralized control environment requires accountability...and at present is not obviously apparent at Central Dispatch. The problem lies in the fact there is little or no computer modeling nor is there any aforethought given to the freight volumes logistical requirements on any given day. Therefore...any anamolies are relegated to 'off the cuff or on the fly' decisions.

This is bad business.

Let me have CD for 60 days and I would have it operating like a fine Swiss watch...and that DOES mean a complete housecleaning of the current CD staff.

It is what it is...

Rat

I wholeheartedly disagree.

There is a reason for centralized control.

If you remove the absolute power of CD what remains is a multitude of influences...each having their input (which would need to be dealt with) adversely affecting the overall operation.

In other words...too many cooks in the kitchen!

A centralized control environment requires accountability...and at present is not obviously apparent at Central Dispatch. The problem lies in the fact there is little or no computer modeling nor is there any aforethought given to the freight volumes logistical requirements on any given day. Therefore...any anamolies are relegated to 'off the cuff or on the fly' decisions.

This is bad business.

Let me have CD for 60 days and I would have it operating like a fine Swiss watch...and that DOES mean a complete housecleaning of the current CD staff.

It is what it is...

Rat
i agree with you. FXF is a benevolent dictatorship. although i do believe that SCM's should be given a little room to maneuver all final decisions should lie at the feet of hooterville. Hooterville needs to accept the fact that the scm's are on the ground locally and know the circumstances and people involved. But when the rubber meets the road it's Central that makes the decisions, as it should be.

When you give absolute power to people who don't see what the freight looks like for example. We had a big account that would fill a pup with 3 bills the freight would be on normal skids and seven feet tall. The full trailer would weigh 3000-5000 lbs.. Cd would say you can put more freight on those trailers you cant close them until you get more freight in them. Problem we couldn't get more freight on them.

When you give absolute power to people who don't see what the freight looks like for example. We had a big account that would fill a pup with 3 bills the freight would be on normal skids and seven feet tall. The full trailer would weigh 3000-5000 lbs.. Cd would say you can put more freight on those trailers you cant close them until you get more freight in them. Problem we couldn't get more freight on them.
Remember it well hillbilly, and no matter how hard you tried to explain, you finally had to take a picture of the trailer and send to them as proof. Now, in defense of CD, several docks would say the box was full so they did not have to re-work the trailer. If all hubs would enforce the 4 8"s on the manifest, where CD would no longer think we were all liars and slackers, it would be a lot smoother. Don't know how many times IND had to pull thru trailers to the dockl that the manifest said was full only to find out it was floored out.

CaptainKirk said:
Remember it well hillbilly, and no matter how hard you tried to explain, you finally had to take a picture of the trailer and send to them as proof. Now, in defense of CD, several docks would say the box was full so they did not have to re-work the trailer. If all hubs would enforce the 4 8"s on the manifest, where CD would no longer think we were all liars and slackers, it would be a lot smoother. Don't know how many times IND had to pull thru trailers to the dockl that the manifest said was full only to find out it was floored out.

Yea u remember reworking a bunch of them. I shake my head when I see redshirts saying its full when its only half full.