ABF | Now what do you think about ABF consessions

Does anybody feal they heard this before. We been hearing this since the eightys. Look around we r the last ones left. Its only a matter of time. Abf will survive if they want too if not to bad. Life goes on after abf. Just ask the older guys who worked at other freight lines. Suck it up today make tommorrow a better day. Almost forgot just wanted to thank all those drivers 4 helping out last weekend. Looks like we wont need to call drivers back off layoff. They made a new deal. If any body want to work this weekend signup on the dock. O42/

Well guys what do you think needs to happen to turn ABF around? Please dont say where just drivers its not our problem. We are all a team management and drivers. We got our asses kicked this year by all the other ltl carriers.

I think that they should keep writing warning letters for every minor little infraction, refuse to give a guy a break when asking for ATO, and screwing with the bids, so that when they ask for a give back or contract concession they will get a 100% HELL NO vote.

hope you can eat with the HELL NO vote. Just think, there won't be any of the 'Old Teamster Lines' left. Please don't count Overnite/UPS.
Just take us down the drain, will you?

I never heard them offer a dividend, bonus, stipend, a pat on the back, handshake, kind words, or anything else when they were making record profits. Now we have the crap being beat out of us and they want us to pay? When I stop having to "check my check" for shortages, and give them an hour of my valuable time during the prime time of the day, and start seeing them quit wasting money like a drunken sailor on shore leave, I just might consider some sort of concession, but until then, HELL NO.

Maybe if you are that afraid of your job, it might be time to beat everyone to the next one. In 1978 during the start of the deregulation era, the thoughts were that there might be only 4 or 5 big carriers left in 20 years. Not for from being accurate. "Old Teamster Lines"? Now about the new Teamster Lines? Have you gone to a volunteer organizer training session? Have you volunteered some time to do any organizing?
We are the best at what we do, and we get paid for doing the job to their specifications, and then some. For that I think we deserve the wages we get. If we have to give back 10% does that mean they will stop the beatings, and pay us some respect? Could that mean that we need only to do 90% of the job that we were doing? Does this mean that we will not have to fight for pay that they owe us, like we have to do now, having to turn in payroll discrepancies weekly? I think not.

Maybe life is good for you in Utah, but the road to Utopia from here is road blocked and closed under construction here for the foreseeable future.

hope you can eat with the HELL NO vote. Just think, there won't be any of the 'Old Teamster Lines' left. Please don't count Overnite/UPS.

What good is a job if you can't afford to live on the pay. Already cutting bids to the bone having us drag treadmills to second floors or to the basement then putting them together.I am with mokey HELL NO. If abf goes out,so be it.There is life after abf.PAY THE RATE OR CLOSE THE GATE and I will eat just fine thanks for your concerns.

Already cutting bids to the bone having us drag treadmills to second floors or to the basement then putting them together.
WTF? Putting them together? That girl on the second floor must be hot to be able to get you to do that!

i think the fist thing that needs to be done is go after freight that pays more. to do that you have to be willing to give better service. i worked for holland for 11 years and i now work for abf. holland would have never pickup freight like what abf has. that is one reason abf is not making money. abf only wants freight that has no rush on it. that way nobody cares if it is a day late. this is my second time working for abf it is a good company. but when you have a salesman who stays in the office all day and you give him leads on freight and without talking a breath says abf does not want that freight, what do you do or think. this is companies who shipped at least 2 trl. loads or more a day ltl with holland before they closed. this salesman says he is doing what the company wants. so i guess all we can do is give our coo & ceo's a raise and ask us to take a cut. and before you asay it holland was making money and lots of it till yrcw got there hands on it.

What good is a job if you can't afford to live on the pay. Already cutting bids to the bone having us drag treadmills to second floors or to the basement then putting them together.I am with mokey HELL NO. If abf goes out,so be it.There is life after abf.PAY THE RATE OR CLOSE THE GATE and I will eat just fine thanks for your concerns.

Damn crybaby. If you can't do the job then stay home.

wow. You just don't get it! UPS Parcel has 1 small competitor (FedEx) and they are not really but a small pain in the rear end.
BUT LOOK-at the # of LTL carriers, all of them (including the only other Teamster Line left) have a tremendous co$t advantage over ABF. I think the challenge is really on the Teamster Leadership, not ABF Management. They have about done all they can do. If you take out the 'extra' cost the Brotherhood adds, they would make a tremendous profit. Of course, what do I know??
Sadly to say the pension is one of the major cost disadvantages. Since they let YRC out of that obligation ABF can not reduce their rates enough to compete. I do not think the company wants our wages. They just need to be able to have the debt of their labor equal the other carriers we are competing against.

I dont know how the rest of the terminals are going across the country, but here in new mexico it is bad.Im currntly on lay off been on lay off for going on four years. Ive been able to work two-three days a week till this last december.Im currently hauling milk tanker here in southwest N.M. The thing is every day when I head out I see conway bringin 3 sets into Roswell, Fedex 3 sets into Roswell. same with o.d,saia,ups freight. Im wanderin why in the heck ABF is only gettin 1/2 pup to 1 pup a day into roswell. All the other ltl companys are busy, what do you guys or woman think is going to happen. I know we cant continue like this. Is ABF busy anywhere??????:flamed:

I dont know how the rest of the terminals are going across the country, but here in new mexico it is bad.Im currntly on lay off been on lay off for going on four years. Ive been able to work two-three days a week till this last december.Im currently hauling milk tanker here in southwest N.M. The thing is every day when I head out I see conway bringin 3 sets into Roswell, Fedex 3 sets into Roswell. same with o.d,saia,ups freight. Im wanderin why in the heck ABF is only gettin 1/2 pup to 1 pup a day into roswell. All the other ltl companys are busy, what do you guys or woman think is going to happen. I know we cant continue like this. Is ABF busy anywhere??????:flamed:
But is there any freight on those pups they bring in?

yeah i know the guys that work at conway, and fedex. they are swaped.ABF has terminal in roswell, and saia,ups freight, od have to travel 200 miles to get here and they are in roswell everyday deliverin ,usually off 53ft trailers. I have actually followed them and there trls are full of freight. I dont no what to think is abf like this everywhere. Abf sure does drop the ball on gettin freight at least around these parts.

I think ABF will start to loose good drivers if you start to monkey with the pension. I know YRC has a lot of experienced drivers jumping ship. they say you should lead by example..All the big wigs should cut themselves down to Teamster wages and pension...But that would never happen, Because they would have to sell thier homes and vacation homes, And trade the Lexus for a beater. Then they would have to cook dinner in the downsized house and be depressed because they would now be living by our standards...Don't mind me I'm just an already depressed Teamster constantly hearing about how my pension is such a burden.
Once they take your pension and have you working for peanuts....Then they will say they need more because they need to compete with Mexican drivers...Do us all a favor and just stop torturing us mentally and pull the plug.
Tired of the BS.