ABF | ODFL to ABF

Why does it matter anyway? It's a race to the bottom regardless of what carrier you drive for

But I honestly want you union guys to answer this..

Say you hired someone to cut your grass or paint your house or any other semi skilled job. Everyone is always looking for a bargain price to get the job done.
Would you want to be forced to pay the worker's health care/ pension contributions?

Teamsters like to talk about their healthcare costs/pensions being fully paid for by the company. That money has to come from somewhere.

But my question is this. Why should a company be required to pay for your healthcare/pension? The purpose of a job is to pay you a wage in return for your labor services. No more, no less. And hopefully whatever the market will bear. And hopefully a fair wage at that.

Aren't we the land of the free that did whatever it took to be successful on our own. Isn't that the typical American self made story?

Everyone wants full benefits/ plus full wages. At what costs?

And why should truck drivers expect to make more than someone who dedicated 4 or more years to college, foregoing income in that time frame?

Because you drive the truck and pick up/deliver the freight, the company would be nothing without you right? But what about the guys in charge that have to make financial decisions, deal with regulations, plan freight flow, worry about competition from other carriers, plan to get more business?

Drivers usually cant see past their noses and usually think the world revolves around them.

So before you try to flame me, do an honest introspection and put yourself in the shoes of those running the company. Now I am not depending ABF or any company for that matter. Just putting the shoes on the other foot for a second.

I will give you my answers to some of your questions.

1. I believe the medical/pension/sick days etc. were brought about by companies trying to hire the best people. In the example you used I am a house painter and there are not many painters available so my company offers me these incentives to come work for them. The best painters are going to go there. The work they do will more than likely be excellent. But soon there are more painters available and companies wanting to make more for the upper management and stock holders decide to offer less, because the customer wants cheaper services. So cheaper service has caused quality of work and the quality of pay to drop.
A quick example (brake rotors used to be turned a couple of times before needing replaced now there are so cheap to make they are made to low to turn because you can just by new ones) With deregulation a lot more drivers became available and thus things started going down.
Now I am not saying that I agree with everything my union does because I don't but when they were started they were needed and helpful. I'm talking about the days of Rockefeller, Carnegie, Frick, Morgan, etc. but as with all things the pendulum swings too far each way at times.

2. As far as pay for people that went to college for four years being more than mine well answer me this how much more should they make? Twice as much? three times? 50 times? 100? See this is the problem, how much are they worth? Because they think they are worth a lot, just like we do.
I worked for a company owned by an individual and for years it was great. We were treated good and had good benefits, the owner made a comfortable living and the company grew. Then he retired and sold it (his choice of course) it was bought by an investment group and dived from then on. Our pay and benefits were cut, they purchased more companies to increase the value so they could sell it and make money. Thus the decline of service and dedication, the best left and the company, and now while large and making money on paper, they care nothing about employees.

ABF used to have the most strict hiring standards anywhere but now with their greed and vacation cut they are hiring people they would never have looked at. Did they do that for the benefit of the company and customers or was it for the bonuses that Judy and Roy got? I'm thinking the latter.

Ya you are complaining. My point is simple. Each forum has their own Mods. They can run em pretty much as they like.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

You should have seen them squealing about me over here a few months back screaming that I was a troll! Bitching about it, heck I think I'm the reason ABFer is the moderator now! And they complain about how they're treated on the OD forum?? Please.

One more thought on the pension topic

I PERSONALLY have never liked the idea of a pension or Social Security I want you to pay me my money and I will take care of what happens to it. Not the company or the Government! When you take my money now and give it to someone else and then count on someone else to be there to pay it for me I think it sounds like a scam. I trust me with my money.

You should have seen them squealing about me over here a few months back screaming that I was a troll! Bitching about it, heck I think I'm the reason ABFer is the moderator now! And they complain about how they're treated on the OD forum?? Please.

Dude I've received messages warning me about using the word bastard om the OD forum. It makes it through the filter. It's been made clear only insiders who tow the company line are welcome there. For the record it was a thread about smoking in trucks. I was recalling a situation from when I worked there. I wasn't beating up on OD. I read and post on all the LTL forums. I like to stay abreast of all the happenings in the business. The guys on here, like most other forums, have been very welcoming. I'm respectful as a guest, and very pro union.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys I know make plenty to pay their insurance and fund their future. Cutting grass is big money if you got the drive.
Oh and many only work 7 months a year the rest of the time skiing or on the beach.
Yes the Teamsters have great insurance that was negotiated into their contract. In the years before you were even a twinkle in your fathers eye, company's used health care as a benefit to get people to hire on and stay with them.
Negotiated is a lot different than forced is it not ? No one held a gun to their head to sign....
All these LTL's charge about the same on their rates right ? Their cost's are all about the same equipment,fuel,real estate right ? Their biggest cost is wages because they still have not figured out how to make the freight walk to its destination yet.
I also know quite a few collage educated boys that make more at pushing freight down the road than sitting in an office trying to figure out how to screw the work force a bit more so that their bonus will pay for their vacations.
Yes these company's that don't meet the industry standards ( Which used to be the NMFA contract for wages and benefits ) have lowered the cost's on the backs of their labor force.
Now this seems to me that yes the union companys are having to lower their standards to remain open.
The next big thing is using outside company's with even cheaper labor to do your P&D and linehaul.
So who will do YOUR job while you sit home buy the phone ? It's already happening ............

Gonna come here you better be able to hang 'cause if you can't we're gonna pull your underwear up around your ears and send you home

They got their heads in the sand or up some orifice
Dude I've received messages warning me about using the word bastard om the OD forum. It makes it through the filter. It's been made clear only insiders who tow the company line are welcome there. For the record it was a thread about smoking in trucks. I was recalling a situation from when I worked there. I wasn't beating up on OD.

May I add that when Social Security started they had people coming onto job sites to try and sell the workers on it. My father said he was afraid to sign up at first but when he retired and got a check for over 23 years he was glad he did.
One more thought on the pension topic

I PERSONALLY have never liked the idea of a pension or Social Security I want you to pay me my money and I will take care of what happens to it. Not the company or the Government! When you take my money now and give it to someone else and then count on someone else to be there to pay it for me I think it sounds like a scam. I trust me with my money.

You know I have yet to have an OD driver refute it. In fact they have confirmed that they dont get delay or breakdown pay. Looks like you are the one that is either stunborn or stupid.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forum Runner

Oh bull ****! I have refuted you several times! We do get breakdown pay! Delay, depends on what you're talking about. Linehaul no, city yes. I'm now in the city and if my trailer isn't ready when I get to work, I clock in and wait.

Like the time one of them told me they don't use the rail. He didn't have anything to say when I told him I broke containers constantly when working the dock. OD used to really push the propaganda about how much better they were. A lot of guys really believed that crap. I see not much has changed.

Yes we do use the rail, to push long hail freight to Portland and Seattle. But we are moving away from it and putting it back on our power due to service issues with the railroad.

Oh bull ****! I have refuted you several times! We do get breakdown pay! Delay, depends on what you're talking about. Linehaul no, city yes. I'm now in the city and if my trailer isn't ready when I get to work, I clock in and wait.

You just said linehaul no. And breakdown pay for linehaul is after 2 hours isnt it? And old kenny p said a while back how he didnt mind waiting off the clock for his load. And hes a city driver.

Are you kidding. I was attacked by two different moderators (not Daylite Dean) just for asking 1 on topic question on the OD forum. I sent a pm to the moderator but he didn't even acknowledge it.

Obviously you're believing the White House talking points. Why? This Administration has been proven to be lairs. Lied about Obummercare, Benghazi, the V.A. deal, the IRS scandal, and so on.

Plus going back to the status quo is a plan B. But that's not really the case. The Republicans have offered up their own replacement.

Yes, There's A Republican Health Care Plan: Bobby Jindal's Plan | RedState

The American Health Care Reform Act | Republican Study Committee (RSC)

Plus no law is worth a damn when it clearly violates our liberties as Obummercare does.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Erick Erickson at redstate is a very good and valid source. Based out of Atlanta too...

You just said linehaul no. And breakdown pay for linehaul is after 2 hours isnt it? And old kenny p said a while back how he didnt mind waiting off the clock for his load. And hes a city driver.

Linehaul breakdown pay begins as soon as you hit the side of the road and call OD road rescue. And Kenny can do whatever the hell he wants, I wait for mine on the clock.

Linehaul breakdown pay begins as soon as you hit the side of the road and call OD road rescue. And Kenny can do whatever the hell he wants, I wait for mine on the clock.

Well either you or some other OD driver is lying. I dont remember which one said they get breakdown after 2 hours as I was kicked off the almighty od forum after that.

Do I hear banjo music when I go by that thread ?
Well either you or some other OD driver is lying. I dont remember which one said they get breakdown after 2 hours as I was kicked off the almighty od forum after that.

Because to be rehired with a new date of hire isn't the same as being recalled from layoff and retaining company seniority. Terminations and layoffs are 2 completely different things. And besides Ruffian is the one who said for me to get my facts straight. The thread degraded because of his post. It was an off topic attack on the union and had I posted it on the OD forum I would have called a non OD employee and a troll by the mod.
I'm just saying, not to get hung up on different Co's lingo, it is odd how they do "layoffs" but, in the end, is very similar.
I can't disagree about the OD forum, if people go there, they need to bring flowers and chocolates to be welcomed.