Holland | One Board

We have always had 2 boards in PN. You can go back and forth when there is an opening,with full seniority after year and a day. The whole road board and the whole city board had the option of going either way when jobs wher posted. The road drivers had the chance to come in the city when there were openings, they all passed. We hired off the street. The city board had the chance to go on the road,they all passed,we hired off the street.

The city board already takes laid off road drivers and puts on the bottom of the 90% board if there seniority holds them there. Weekely guaranteed 40 hours. When a laid off city man went to the road, bottom of the open board no guartantee. Even though our top 10%ers have more seniorty then the laid off road drivers,they will work before them.

It seems the road drivers really want the best of both worlds. Would this whole topic even been brought up 3 or 4 years ago?

ABF has had this PSE or UE what ever you want to call it for years and they run a split board with no problems.

"It seems the road drivers really want the best of both worlds. Would this whole topic even been brought up 3 or 4 years ago?"

3 or 4 years ago we didnt have road work turned into city positions (UE) either dude :nutkick: the local told me that it was road work but paid hourly

ROAD DRIVERS DONT WANT BOTH OF BOTH WORLDS .. THEY WANT THEIR WORK DUDE
:smilie_132:

only thing wrong with what ur sayin though .... the IBT the locals told us the UE thing would not affect the road bids, road runs or road work (before the contract was signed dude).. they lied brother soooooo ...... things changed dude using road work to make utility soooooo ........ things changed it was a :nutkick: for the road dude .......... sooooooooo .....what do you think :duh:
Well, since you asked what I think, I will tell you. If you couldn't read between the lines of this contract (as it was OBVIOUS to ANY intellegent person I talked to), then you need your head examined. Use your OWN experience, and draw your OWN conclusions, as to what is happening around you. Letting other people think for you is what got us in this position in the first place. THAT is what I think.

Well, since you asked what I think, I will tell you. If you couldn't read between the lines of this contract (as it was OBVIOUS to ANY intellegent person I talked to), then you need your head examined. Use your OWN experience, and draw your OWN conclusions, as to what is happening around you. Letting other people think for you is what got us in this position in the first place. THAT is what I think.

:duh: :hysterical: what lines by the way dude? there were lines? I didnt know we were voting on lines dude :hysterical:
:smilie_132:

Thanks for keeping this between the rules guys, very interesting posts. Just remember we're all in this together.

:argue: :Duel: :gathering:

This thread has proven what kind of mess this contract has created. Everyone has had very good points. Although I totally disagree with the way the company is using (abusing) the employees right now, I keep going back to one simple thought.........67% of us voted it in! I know some of us tried to inform others of the potential disaster. It still passed. People were afraid of a work stoppage. The key wording to me is that "THE UTILITY WORK WILL BE CITY WORK."The contract was passed with that language in it. Yes, you can make a case for one classification or the other getting hosed, but it WAS voted in under the above language. We cannot and should not be able to change an issue this large without a VOTE! Just my opinion.:smilie_132:

As I have said before we have one master seniority board, a city and a road board. In my opinion this is the fairest way, even though I am low on the list. The argument that roadmen can’t do city work is BS, they have adapted just fine. By the way I am a city driver, so you can dispel (chase away) that I am just sticking up for the roadmen. I am on the bubble for layoff. The way I see it, is the drivers that been with the company the longest will work at the company the longest. That is what seniority is about. And for the record I voted NO on this thing they call a contract.

By the way we are have problems with the excessive overtime clause also, seems no one knows how the formula should be applied. Most aren’t worried about it because it doesn’t affect them, I tell them that someday it might.

As I have said before we have one master seniority board, a city and a road board. In my opinion this is the fairest way, even though I am low on the list. The argument that roadmen can’t do city work is BS, they have adapted just fine. By the way I am a city driver, so you can dispel (chase away) that I am just sticking up for the roadmen. I am on the bubble for layoff. The way I see it, is the drivers that been with the company the longest will work at the company the longest. That is what seniority is about. And for the record I voted NO on this thing they call a contract.

By the way we are have problems with the excessive overtime clause also, seems no one knows how the formula should be applied. Most aren’t worried about it because it doesn’t affect them, I tell them that someday it might.
"The argument that roadmen can't do city work is BS" comments that we said back on page 2 and 3 of this thread were ALL IN GOOD FUN. Just trying to have a laugh. Of course, anyone can adapt to anything if they want to bad enough. Lighten up.:1036316054:

"The argument that roadmen can't do city work is BS" comments that we said back on page 2 and 3 of this thread were ALL IN GOOD FUN. Just trying to have a laugh. Of course, anyone can adapt to anything if they want to bad enough. Lighten up.:1036316054:

I am or have lightened up!!!:duh: I am not upset about nothing!! It’s funny when I joke around on hear everyone gets upset. For the record if my post upset you I am truly sorry, I meant no harm.:hide: I have worked for a few companies that have gone out of business and have a lot of respect for seniority; it is earned not just given to you, along with respect. Back to the topic at hand, my opinion is or was, is that one board seems to be the fairest to all involved.

Again, I am not upset about nothing!!!:smilie_132:

Not when you have two locals at a terminal that causes it's own problems. case in point Ch, Bv,Wh L705 city
L710 Dock, Road

This thread has proven what kind of mess this contract has created. Everyone has had very good points. Although I totally disagree with the way the company is using (abusing) the employees right now, I keep going back to one simple thought.........67% of us voted it in! I know some of us tried to inform others of the potential disaster. It still passed. People were afraid of a work stoppage. The key wording to me is that "THE UTILITY WORK WILL BE CITY WORK."The contract was passed with that language in it. Yes, you can make a case for one classification or the other getting hosed, but it WAS voted in under the above language. We cannot and should not be able to change an issue this large without a VOTE! Just my opinion.:smilie_132:

I agree with you about the contract language. However, the scope of the UE position was explained by the company and the IBT. The method that it has been implemented greatly differs from the intended use. I believe the only way to save jobs at this point is to concede that the Company and the IBT convinced to many people to believe their lies and move on to a compromise that will help all freight Teamsters. My opinion is that one board will be the only way other than going back in time, to make this fair. The road board will mostly be UE positions in the future. If we go to one board we can all bid on city start times, UE jobs, and road jobs. Things may be different where there are two Locals or where a barn has a year and a day. The Road Drivers at barns where there are no options are plainly screwed.

We have always had 2 boards in PN. You can go back and forth when there is an opening,with full seniority after year and a day. The whole road board and the whole city board had the option of going either way when jobs wher posted. The road drivers had the chance to come in the city when there were openings, they all passed. We hired off the street. The city board had the chance to go on the road,they all passed,we hired off the street.

The city board already takes laid off road drivers and puts on the bottom of the 90% board if there seniority holds them there. Weekely guaranteed 40 hours. When a laid off city man went to the road, bottom of the open board no guartantee. Even though our top 10%ers have more seniorty then the laid off road drivers,they will work before them.

It seems the road drivers really want the best of both worlds. Would this whole topic even been brought up 3 or 4 years ago?

In GR we do not have year and a day or one board. I worked in the city for almost 10 years, before coming out on the highway. I have always been for the idea of one board or year and a day. That being said, I knew when I came out on the highway I understood i was going to start at the bottom of the board, but I still had my master seniority for layoff. This I could deal with. Now comes the part where I have a problem. The proposal being offered by the company says that when the UE is first offered it will be to linehaul, then city at their first bid, which in our case is April. If nobody takes UE it will be forced from the bottom. Well due to all the layoffs I find myself near the bottom of the board which means I could be forced. Then in April when the city bids I could be bumped of the UE and my only choice is the bottom of the city board. This means I lose my road senoirity and city seniority, that is 12 years with the company that gets me nothing. We have greivances filed already on this proposal before it gets the rubber stamp from the IBT. We are not asking for the best of both worlds, only something for the time we have spent with the company. We have , I beleive, 30 drivers in our barn with split seniority. Why should we have to start over at the bottom for a company we have benn with for many years? Does this seem fair? or are we really turning into every man for himself?

ABF has had this PSE or UE what ever you want to call it for years and they run a split board with no problems.

PSE and UE are two different jobs. Road Drivers don't want the best of both worlds. What we want is our Road jobs back. But since too many mindless, gutless sheep voted in this contract and city men are doing road work under the UE position as a city job, we are asking that we might have a job that we don't want in the first place. If Detroit was given some of PN's P & D area and you were on layoff, what would you want? Would you want to follow your work?

PSE and UE are two different jobs. Road Drivers don't want the best of both worlds. What we want is our Road jobs back. But since too many mindless, gutless sheep voted in this contract and city men are doing road work under the UE position as a city job, we are asking that we might have a job that we don't want in the first place. If Detroit was given some of PN's P & D area and you were on layoff, what would you want? Would you want to follow your work?

Two thirds of your mindless,gutless sheep voted it in ,now learn to live with it!! The vote was pretty simple yes or no. Now that it is done we have to try to make the best of a bad deal.

For us terminals that currently have two boards, I think cutting it to one board would cause all kinds of problems.

It would be a major problem in JO.With the recent transfer of five (5) linehaul drivers in there,with no offer whatsoever to the 12 city drivers on layoff.So i guess two boards it will be.Sorry,i don`t make the rules i just play by them!

Two thirds of your mindless,gutless sheep voted it in ,now learn to live with it!! The vote was pretty simple yes or no. Now that it is done we have to try to make the best of a bad deal.

That is what I am saying, make the best of a bad deal.
There is more to the truth than a simple yes or no. The Membership pays for representation. Some of our Brothers listen and trust our current Leadership. The IBT lied when these people ask for an explanation of the current contract. So I will live with the contract. I will not forget how it came about. I will not be satisfied until Jimmy and his entire group of cronies are gone.