XPO | One out of three won

Wrong. CF started CCX along with purchasing many other companies. They diverted a good majority of their freight to CCX. When CCX was cranking along they kept everything and spun off CF. ANYONE who's been out here long enough remembers seeing all the freight labeled for CF relabeled for CCX. CCX grew while CF shrank. Bleed em dry, spin em off,a few big accidents and loss of their underwriting and watch them wither and die. Good day.
I still have a lot of the early CCX literature that has a nice little square that says "A CF Company"
Saw some in the storage area this weekend and laughed at it! Thought WOW things sure have changed!
These are my thoughts and opinion;
I did not have to concur with anyone but myself!!

What are you talking about? You mean to tell me that CF didn't used to be at the terminal right next door to where ULX is now? That everyday those guys come into work they aren't seeing a ghost town next door?

What does that have to do with disproving what I said? Specially, connect the dots for me.

That was an old FXF yard before they closed it down. It was a CF yard at one point, before fedex freight.

That ULX yard was a yellow yard back in the day too.

Both union terminals back in the day.

What are you talking about? You mean to tell me that CF didn't used to be at the terminal right next door to where ULX is now? That everyday those guys come into work they aren't seeing a ghost town next door?

What does that have to do with disproving what I said? Specially, connect the dots for me.
You are insinuating that CF went the way of the dinosaur because they were union. If that's what you were trying to convey you're wrong. CF bought EmryAir and everything else. Started all the predecessor companies of Conway etc. They bankrolled all of it. Even took a good majority of their good customers and freight and put it on a CCX truck. They bled them dry and spun em off. This took about 20 years to accomplish.

Like I said, Some very big accidents, and loss of their underwriting and they were done. Union had nothing to do with it.

You are insinuating that CF went the way of the dinosaur because they were union. If that's what you were trying to convey you're wrong. CF bought EmryAir and everything else. Started all the predecessor companies of Conway etc. They bankrolled all of it. Even took a good majority of their good customers and freight and put it on a CCX truck. They bled them dry and spun em off. This took about 20 years to accomplish.

Like I said, Some very big accidents, and loss of their underwriting and they were done. Union had nothing to do with it.

You can explain it away however you want. Fact is the union environment was killing CF. They did absolutely nothing which was positive better than their competition did, they needed to get rid of the union environment and mentality. They started putting all the pieces in place so that they, as a corporation could survive/thrive if CF was to go away. Once all those pieces were substantially in place they set it in motion. If they weren't UNION they would not have pursued the CWX/CCX alternative.

You can explain it away however you want. Fact is the union environment was killing CF. They did absolutely nothing which was positive better than their competition did, they needed to get rid of the union environment and mentality. They started putting all the pieces in place so that they, as a corporation could survive/thrive if CF was to go away. Once all those pieces were substantially in place they set it in motion. If they weren't UNION they would not have pursued the CWX/CCX alternative.
You obviously don't know your history when it comes to trucking. The big three at the time (Yellow, Roadway,CF) ran their operations as a hub and spoke network. Their systems were designed for long haul (600+miles) freight. CF realized that the money was in short haul regional freight. They also realized that hub and spoke was not efficient anymore. They nailed it! They grew while CF shrank. Don't tell me it was because of the Union. You must be young or just not well informed when it comes to the history of your own company.

I've already made it known that I used to work for Yellow Freight. We were a profitable unionized company until Bill Zollars became our CEO and made some horrible decisions. We were a moneymaker. Then he decided to purchase Roadway Express(the other giant at the time) and then USF Companies(Holland,Dugan,Red Star etc )right before the biggest recession this country has ever seen was about to hit. The freight dried up and what freight remained was thrown into a bidding war. The discounts being given were ridiculous! Conway as well as FedEx did everything they could to put the newly created YRC out of business even putting themselves in the red to do it. YRC was so laden with debt I'm shocked it didn't work. I did find myself laid off after 15 years though. Shame it had to work that way.

I am know a feeder driver for UPS, not freight. A wonderful well oiled unionized company.We run a tight ship. It's how it should be. We run our asses off over here! We are hiring and growing at an astronomical rate. All of this at a unionized company, go figure. Vision and leadership are key. Am I saying the union has no blame in anything? No. They're not perfect and it does create some problems, but you have the same problems at a non union barn. I've worked both. I've seen slackers at both. To say it's all on the union is no better than saying it's all on the company. What you're saying is the union is the downfall of all companies. Not too many mention UPS though. Why?

Do what you have to do. If it comes down to a vote at you're barn,everyone will vote,majority will prevail, for or against. If your barn does end up going to the dark side, remember you do not have to join. You can refuse to pay dues. You will not recieve anything they may win after bargaining and ratification of a contract. You would keep companies insurance and what have you. I very much doubt you will though. I know a lot of the Overnite/UPS Freight drivers. I've asked them what happened to all the guys that were against the union at the time. Their response. They're happy as can be and quiet as church mice. They don't like to admit they were against it at the time. Good day.

You obviously don't know your history when it comes to trucking. The big three at the time (Yellow, Roadway,CF) ran their operations as a hub and spoke network. Their systems were designed for long haul (600+miles) freight. CF realized that the money was in short haul regional freight. They also realized that hub and spoke was not efficient anymore. They nailed it! They grew while CF shrank. Don't tell me it was because of the Union. You must be young or just not well informed when it comes to the history of your own company.

Why bother with the CWX/CCX/CWE companies instead of changing CF to meet the needs of a changing market?

How come CF didn't bail on the Hub and Spoke system? How come they didn't haul the regional freight themselves?

To say it's all on the union is no better than saying it's all on the company. What you're saying is the union is the downfall of all companies

I said no such thing.

yellowpride said:
If your barn does end up going to the dark side, remember you do not have to join. You can refuse to pay dues. You will not recieve anything they may win after bargaining and ratification of a contract. You would keep companies insurance and what have you. I very much doubt you will though. I know a lot of the Overnite/UPS Freight drivers. I've asked them what happened to all the guys that were against the union at the time. Their response. They're happy as can be and quiet as church mice. They don't like to admit they were against it at the time. Good day.

Your scenario will vary by state. There is a difference between a "closed shop" and a "union shop". You very well may have no choice but to join the union should you wish to remain employed.

Why bother with the CWX/CCX/CWE companies instead of changing CF to meet the needs of a changing market?

How come CF didn't bail on the Hub and Spoke system? How come they didn't haul the regional freight themselves?

You almost had to work in the regulated and deregulated LTL to understand how it was changing .

CF purchased the "ConWays" only 3 years after deregulation, but yet took 22 years after deregulation to fail. How come they didn't change the way CF operated during those 22 years?

Not that easy. CF was designed for long haul. That's how their terminals and MO were designed for. It was easier to design a new concept(non hub and spoke) from a clean sheet of paper.

YRC started dabbling in regional expedited freight while I was still there. It didn't work well for them. It started to effect their long haul service. They gave up on it and announced they were going back to doing what they do best. Long haul.

UPS decided they wanted to get into LTL freight to round out their portfolio of services. They could of started one from scratch or bought one. They just bought one. Ask any UPS Freight driver and they'll tell that UPS is still slowly implementing they're way of doing business on them. It takes time. That's why it took 20 years to get Conway completely off the ground.

CF purchased the "ConWays" only 3 years after deregulation, but yet took 22 years after deregulation to fail. How come they didn't change the way CF operated during those 22 years?
They never purchased the "Conway's". They created them.

Whether you want to admit it or not. Conway's whole birth and growth was at the hands of the unionized CONsolidated FreightWAYs. It took good service and planning to keep it going but make no qualms about it. You were. Now you like to talk about it disgracefully. I knew a lot of CF guys. They were good people. When you talk the way you do it's like calling the woman who gave you life a piece of crap. It's not right.

I like that. They freely vote and say "NO" to you guys, and that means they lose? They just didn't fall for the BS.

I know that's not gonna stop this teamster train, unfortunately.

You guys have nothing to do but try to recruit new converts to bring in some dough.

That's your mission, your passion, your need.

Your like a radical "religion" that just keeps coming up with new ways to force people into your way of thinking.
LOL Conway has some of you guys trained to in believing that good is bad and bad is good . I talked the other day to a young Conway driver making a delivery at the college down the street . He seemed like a like able guy but when I brought up the subject about the union I thought he craped in is pants . This Conway plays mind games with their employees and the thing is the employees haven't a clue whats going on . The ones that know better vote yes .

I like that. They freely vote and say "NO" to you guys, and that means they lose? They just didn't fall for the BS.

I know that's not gonna stop this teamster train, unfortunately.

You guys have nothing to do but try to recruit new converts to bring in some dough.

That's your mission, your passion, your need.

Your like a radical "religion" that just keeps coming up with new ways to force people into your way of thinking.

I think the point you are missing is the majority of us have been on your side of the equation and found something better. All we are trying to do is get you to look past your nose and take a good look. Nothing more. Honestly, have you been down to your local to look around and ask some questions?

I don't know what fantasy land you are from but if the union was so bad for the company how was it that they had all this money to make all these major purchase ? I have to blame Motor Freight Express ,York Pa.in 1980 . C F wanted to buy MFX for a regional east coast carrier and the deal almost went threw but at the last minute C F wanted MFX to pay 300 k they owed to some local in Ohio. MFX refused so C F came up with the idea, and so CCX was born .

They never purchased the "Conway's". They created them.

Understood...separate companies, same parent corp, later separated before CF filed BK.

Yellowpride said:
Whether you want to admit it or not. Conway's whole birth and growth was at the hands of the unionized CONsolidated FreightWAYs. It took good service and planning to keep it going but make no qualms about it. You were. Now you like to talk about it disgracefully. I knew a lot of CF guys. They were good people. When you talk the way you do it's like calling the woman who gave you life a piece of crap. It's not right.

B.S. I know some good folks that were at CF and a whole lot of pieces of crap. I will talk about CF disgracefully as it was one of the worst operating carriers the entire time I was in LTL until their demise. Right now some of the YRCW and ABFS terminals are strikingly similar...gee wonder why?

I wonder how come the UPSF terminals seem to be run so much better than the YRCW and ABFS terminals I am familiar with?

I don't know what fantasy land you are from but if the union was so bad for the company how was it that they had all this money to make all these major purchases ?.

I'd argue they didn't have as much money as they would have had, had they not been operating a union company. Selling Freightliner likely gave them a boost as well. It was much easier for companies (union or not) to survive pre-deregulation.

Take a look at all the Union carriers around in 1980....how many are still around today? How healthy are they relative to their 1980 health?

How does that compare to OD and Estes?

I'd argue they didn't have as much money as they would have had, had they not been operating a union company. Selling Freightliner likely gave them a boost as well. It was much easier for companies (union or not) to survive pre-deregulation.

Take a look at all the Union carriers around in 1980....how many are still around today? How healthy are they relative to their 1980 health?

Young, naive or possibly both. How many non unions have gone under as well? Who has the lowest claims in LTL? Unionized Holland. Who else has one of the best operating ratios? Unionized New Penn. I work for unionized UPS. What do you have to say about them? Have you ever seen a UPS guy walk to your front door? They're usually sprinting.

I know some Conway guys by me, they're good guys. What's really nice are the ones that got tired of the crappy treatment at their particular barns and quit and are now my coworkers. Good guys with good attitudes and they hustle Same for all the FedEx Freight guys we are getting too. Just like 99.9% of us do over here. UPS wouldn't have it any other way........oh yeah and we are union.

Forget about CF. Talk about my unionized employer UPS. What are we doing wrong? Getting you're packages too quick? How about UPS Freight? What are they doing wrong? Vision and leadership are key.

God bless all you Conway drivers that have to deal with this kind of mentality. Check your local large UPS package facility. They're hiring feeder drivers across the country. ICome on over to the "dark side".

I don't know how old you are but I was around for years during deregulation and one of the worst things was that many of those companies used their rights/ operating authority as collateral to buy terminals new fleets of trucks etc . millions of dollars . When deregulation was signed in 1989 by Carter and Kennedy all that collateral went out the window and the banks called in the loans . Many were unable to pay the banks so they went under . Then a lot of nonunion companies with substandard wages and no benefits competing with the union companies put the final nail in the coffin . I suppose if you want to blame the unions for not lowering their standards to that of the nonunion companies then the unions are guilty . I would have to be a damn fool to envy the pensions offered by nonunion companies . As you know many of the non's don't even have pensions . We know some old men that were nonunion and they say that if they had it over they would have chosen a union company because now in their 60's and 70's left with nothing but social security and maybe a little 500 buck a month so call pension . Hell some are still working into their 70's because they have no pension . Strange how life has a way of biting ya in the ass.:1036316054: