TForce | Organizing Overnite/UPS Freight

Valerie said:
The main point of my post is that Charles seems so upset (since he uses all caps).
Sure my husband dosen't want to vote the union in, but if it goes, the answer is no he won't quit.

sorry valerie,did'nt mean to seem upset ,or mad to you,or anyone,forgot to hit the caps lock on my computer off,still not a wizard
with one of these things,would hate to use one of these newfangled things all day,don't take it the wrong way.

CHARLES BRONSON said:
SILLYGOOSE:biglaugh: YOU'D LIKE TO THINK IT WOULD HAPPEN THAT WAY AGAIN,SORRY,NEW GAME/COACHES,AND IT AIN'T GOING DOWN THE SAME AS THE LAST TIME,WAY MORE OF US THAN YOU GUYS:GrowUp: YOU GUYS THAT SPEAK FOR ALL 15,000 OF US AND SAY IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN REALLY MAKE US:rofl2:

I GUESS I CAN YELL TO. NO WE DON'T SPEAK FOR YOU AND WOULDN'T EVEN TRY. I JUST SPEAK WITH THE MAJORITY THAT SPOKE LAST TIME AROUND.

BY THE WAY THEY ARE STILL HERE! HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NEW GAMES/COACHES AS YOU PUT IT. IT HAS TO DO WITH ONES BELIEF IN HIS OR HERSELF AND WHAT IS RIGHT FOR THE COMPANY THEY WORK FOR. THAT IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT IT TIME WILL TELL.

I WOULD CALL YOU A NAME LIKE SILLY GOOSE BUT I HAVE GROWN UP. IT SEEMS YOU HAVEN'T.

Skeeter said:
UNOFFICIAL LTL TRUCKING COMPANY !

Why can't the Official board stay up.

Skeeter, calling it official would imply that it was affiliated with and sanctioned by UPS.

The lawyers would be all over that

Skeeter said:
Looks like they are doing the right thing then.

Maybe I read it wrong but it sounded more like an accounting change than anything else.

What I got from it was that accounting rules changed requiring the money to be paid

Pension plans .... read some of the posts on the Con-Way forum and you will find out that their ( Non-union ) company pension plan is Under-funded, so it's not only the Teamster plans in some regions, it can happen, depending on the management of the funds, to anybody's pension.
The laws need to be changed, but corporate america is in the pockets of the politicans.

flstc2000 said:
Pension plans .... read some of the posts on the Con-Way forum and you will find out that their ( Non-union ) company pension plan is Under-funded, so it's not only the Teamster plans in some regions, it can happen, depending on the management of the funds, to anybody's pension.
The laws need to be changed, but corporate america is in the pockets of the politicans.
FedEx's is also underfunded, and so wasn't ours at "O". Corporate greed.

hugnlug said:
FedEx's is also underfunded, and so wasn't ours at "O". Corporate greed.
hugnlug, the problem is that "underfunded" is a very ominous sounding word that gets thrown around a lot ( by the anti union supporters in this case) but is more of an accounting term than anything and really does not mean what it sounds like

Skeeter said:
That being said why should we force the union and restrictive work rules on our company.
Wanted to ask why you feel that having set rules in place are restrictive ? Doesn't every company have rules ? The Teamsters only ask for rules to help the workers have a fair say in the work envoiroment, instead of blindly following management rules.
The teamsters are the ones putting their companies out of business. Not management.
Sorry, can't agree with that statement .... management controls the ship, they decide the course of direction and decide how business should be conducted. The unions only job is to provide a fair wage and benifit package along with a set of safe and fair work rules. The companies who signed those contracts must have felt they could operate under thise rules .... otherwise why did they sign the contracts ?
Flexibility not strict work rules.
Everyone is open to flexiabilty, nobody wants to sink the ship while it's afloat, but some rules need to be addressed with the people who operate under those rules.
So we are just fine and will continue to do fine with our new company.
And to that ... I say Good Luck with your new company. I am sure it will be a very prosperous and healthly company to work for.

UPS Freight[/QUOTE]

Skeeter said:
That's right and we will keep the same nonunion environment the MAJORITY voted for to. So if you want the same round of fights we had the last time around. We are ready bring it on.:chairshot:

Skeeter what about the MAJORITY that voted for union representation at various terminals and O'nite did not bargin in good faith. Onite broke or violated every NLRB ruling or law and paid millions in fines to boot.

Problem this time around is UPS has an image to uphold. They aren't going to let negative press tarnish thier image.
Bring it on Skeeter we're waiting.

Some are saying the union won't get nasty if people dont sign a card and support them. That doesnt go with my personal experience.
For example, in Chicago with American Freightways, the majority of the drivers elected not to sign the card and be represented by the union, during the process, the cars of drivers that had said " no " were targeted for vandalism and some drivers were physically asaulted. This does sound like its being stereotyped. But the fact of the matter is that this can and does happen when the union thinks its going to lose. really makes a person want to join.

galaxy99dx said:
Some are saying the union won't get nasty if people dont sign a card and support them. That doesnt go with my personal experience.
For example, in Chicago with American Freightways, the majority of the drivers elected not to sign the card and be represented by the union, during the process, the cars of drivers that had said " no " were targeted for vandalism and some drivers were physically asaulted. This does sound like its being stereotyped. But the fact of the matter is that this can and does happen when the union thinks its going to lose. really makes a person want to join.
It's not the "Union " .... it's a few people who feel strong arm tactics work, however not in today's informed world.
Let's keep the information highway open, provide real facts, not just propoganda, and let the people decide.

Teamster251 said:
FeEdx has a pension plan, since when.
Talk to the FXF guys and they know nothing of their plan.
Perhaps he was referring to FederalExpress. They have a plan, but it's up to the employee to join and participate.

hillbilly frog said:
I am researching this and will get back with more info when I can find it.
Skeeter I found it posted on ABFS web site.
Nonunion Pension and Supplemental Pension Benefits
Arkansas Best’s nonunion pension expense will be $11.6 million for the full year 2006. This compares to full year 2005 pension expense of $10.0 million. Arkansas Best will use 7.9% as its 2006 investment return assumption and 5.5% as its discount rate assumption for 2006 plan liabilities. These rates compare to 8.3% for investment returns and a 5.5% discount rate for plan liabilities for 2005.

Arkansas Best has an unfunded supplemental pension benefit plan for the purpose of providing supplemental retirement benefits to executive officers of the company. As previously disclosed, distributions of benefits to retiring officers and previously retired officers who deferred payments until 2006 were made in the first quarter of 2006 and will be made in the third quarter of 2006. Under FASB Statement No. 88, Arkansas Best is required to record a “pension accounting settlement” charge when cash payouts exceed annual service and interest costs of the related plan. As a result of this required settlement accounting, in the first quarter of 2006, Arkansas Best recorded a pre-tax charge of $8.4 million or $0.20 per diluted common share, net of taxes. For the third quarter of 2006, Arkansas Best anticipates recording another pre-tax charge of approximately $1.0 to $1.5 million or between $0.02 and $0.04 per diluted common share, net of taxes. Although Arkansas Best anticipates having future benefit distributions that could require settlement accounting charges, such future charges should be much less significant to Arkansas Best’s financial results than the 2006 amounts. Effective December 16, 2005, Arkansas Best’s supplemental pension benefit plan was closed to new participants, and new executive officers will participate in a three-year, performance-based plan.

Link:http://www.abfs.com/about/news/2006/p042406.asp

Skeeter said:
You might get tired of hearing it but its true. If I wanted a union job I would seek it not belly ache about a nonunion one.
UPS Freight

You will find that most Teamster companies are proud of their Teamster workforce. They even hold us to high standards. Just recently, my terminal advertised for drivers. We had 200 applications, and only 3 were approved. Now not to imply anything, but I'm sure some of those other 197 applicants found jobs at some nonunion company somewhere.

It's kind of funny if we don't agree with you or your colonies then we are brain washed and uneducated when it comes to things about the union. I don't think so.

If you blindly believe what you are told (by anyone), then brainwashing could apply. Being proud and defending your company is commendable, but when numerous coworkers are complaining about situations, then maybe you should open your eyes to the bigger picture and not the cozy little world of your particular terminal. It's quite possible that there is indeed something rotten in the state of Denmark. Uneducated? Not necessarily, but rather misinformed. When you hear management putting down the union in a captive setting, and no one to rebut their rants, then what else can you believe? Going on information or events from the past is just that. THE PAST. Learning from the mistakes you made in the past is a sign of growing. Not learning from the mistakes from the past will just lead to those same mistakes being made in the future. Believe me, the Teamsters HAVE learned from their past and will do what is necessary to ensure a solid future for themselves as well as the companies they deal with.

We have good wages and benefits without the union. We are treated fair and it is a good place to work.
Where do you think those good wages came from? Did you thank Leo or did you bother to thank a Teamster? If the union never tried to Organize Overnite, you would probably be nowhere near where you are today. Do you think Overnite did it out of the goodness of their hearts? No way. It was done to keep you from voting the Teamsters in. Now, if memory serves me correctly, the Teamsters were voted in at many Overnite terminals. They spent millions in fines because they didn't bargain fairly, spent millions to get you to decertify the union representation, millions in bringing up your wages and benefits. Why? All because of the Teasmters. Think how much better off you all would have been if there wasn't a decertification vote, you would have had the wages and benefits. You would have had on the job protection, like seniority rights and harrassment protection and a grievence precedure(not made up of company appointed "Peers"). And on top of it all, Overnite could have saved the extra millions and reinvested it in the company, reinvested it in the workforce.

That being said why should we force the union and restrictive work rules on our company. The teamsters are the ones putting their companies out of business. Not management. Flexibility not strict work rules.

Restrictive work rules are a thing of the past. Sure there are some things like job classifications and such, but restiction is a way of the past. (Remember learning from past mistakes?) Over the last few years, the Teamsters have tried to become partners with the employers because we realize that prosperity is in everyone's best interest. In all my years with the union, I never saw a union representative put a lock on the gate to a company property. I never saw a paycheck that came from the Teamsters, it always came from the company. I never saw a rep come in and say this is how we do things at this company. I never saw a rep fire or discipline anyone. Bottom line is, management determines the direction the company will take. There have been numerous nonunion jobs that have folded or been acquired due to poor management decisions. Show me how in what shape, manner, or form that the Teamsters had anything to do with the demise of nonunion companies?

So we are just fine and will continue to do fine with our new company.

I'm sure UPS Freight will do quite well. Personally, being union or nonunion will have nothing to do with the success or failure of UPSF. One way or another it all lies with management.

Animo916 said:
Restrictive work rules are a thing of the past. Sure there are some things like job classifications and such, but restiction is a way of the past. (Remember learning from past mistakes?) Over the last few years, the Teamsters have tried to become partners with the employers because we realize that prosperity is in everyone's best interest. In all my years with the union, I never saw a union representative put a lock on the gate to a company property. I never saw a paycheck that came from the Teamsters, it always came from the company. I never saw a rep come in and say this is how we do things at this company. I never saw a rep fire or discipline anyone. Bottom line is, management determines the direction the company will take. There have been numerous nonunion jobs that have folded or been acquired due to poor management decisions. Show me how in what shape, manner, or form that the Teamsters had anything to do with the demise of nonunion companies?

You hit the nail on the head with that paragraph Animo. I can't believe the changes I've seen in management/labor relations in the 19 years I've been in this business.

I think both sides have realized that they need each other to survive and have found a way to work together.

flstc2000 said:
It's not the "Union " .... it's a few people who feel strong arm tactics work, however not in today's informed world.
Let's keep the information highway open, provide real facts, not just propoganda, and let the people decide.
When the union tried to strike OVNT in '97 or so.... I had my personal vehicle vandalized, we had 20 tractors at our term vandalized (poked holes in radiators and all air lines sliced). This was just more than just a few people to do this!!!!