FedEx Freight | Other News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh
Not really a solution.
Non working ABS light is a violation not to mention increased stopping distance.
I believe abs light on is not a violation.
True on non working abs light being a violation and a abs light on is not but how does a non working light increase your stopping distance?? You still have the same braking action, I cant remember the last time I had to brake hard enough to set off the abs

True on non working abs light being a violation and a abs light on is not but how does a non working light increase your stopping distance?? You still have the same braking action, I cant remember the last time I had to brake hard enough to set off the abs
I've seen the way you car haulers drive... I don't think you all know where the brake pedal is!! :mf swordfight::shift::smilie93c peelout::tr10driving03:

Great point. Abs does not guarantee better stopping times.

It is however, the platform that all collision mitigation system are based on. So, when your tractor applies more air to the brakes than you ever would - because it thought that parked tractor in the field over there was in front of you while you were going around a bend... Well, that abs system better be working properly, elsewise you'll have one of them jacknife situations and end up in the culvert!

Anywho, I get that your point is the light doesn't affect stopping performance, only the systems other components do.

I guess the non working light violation is just to target the chuckleheads who "fix" the fault by unplugging them.

Last edited:
Great point. Abs does not guarantee better stopping times.

It is however, the platform that all collision mitigation system are based on. So, when your tractor applies more air to the brakes than you ever would - because it thought that parked tractor in the field over there was in front of you while you were going around a bend... Well, that abs system better be working properly, elsewise you'll have one of them jacknife situations and end up in the culvert!

Anywho, I get that your point is the light doesn't affect stopping performance, only the systems other components do.

I guess the non working light violation is just to target the chuckleheads who "fix" the fault by unplugging them.
I get your point, I keep forgetting that ours don't have all those safety bells and whistles that yours does. We don't have all those sensors hanging off the front and sides like you guys so I don't get to have all the fun with ghost braking or the non exsiitng car alongside of me thats a entrance ramp or an overhead sign, so I stand corrected have a safe one

Non working trailer ABS (light on) increases skidding on wet/ice conditions increasing the stopping distance or worse resulting in jack knife

No ABS and empty trailer is bad news

Guys I get that ABS makes no difference stopping distance wise with loaded trailers and dry pavement

But when wheels lock due to slick and light load, then ABS does reduce the distance by preventing skidding. Lock release lock release faster then your foot which helps.

If you are using ABS you are going too fast and slowing too fast anyways

Guys I get that ABS makes no difference stopping distance wise with loaded trailers and dry pavement

But when wheels lock due to slick and light load, then ABS does reduce the distance by preventing skidding. Lock release lock release faster then your foot which helps.

If you are using ABS you are going too fast and slowing too fast anyways

According to all guidance on the topic, ABS does not necessarily reduce stopping distance, but in CAN/SHOULD reduce the risk of jackknife and/or loss of control.

Still, you are correct, it only comes into play due to poor decisions on speed/braking/space management, etc. :1036316054:

YRC Worldwide's regional business and aging fleet drags on third quarter results

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/yrc-worldwide-third-quarter-earnings

Interesting read. Here's a short excerpt:

"Our largest regional carrier with a footprint in one of the most competitive driver hiring markets in North America was forced to turn away profitable business due to capacity constraints, which, along with fleet maintenance, negatively impacted overall Regional segment."
I thought the YRC regionals were the bread and butter keeping YRC in business.
Market share is less than half it was a decade ago.

Non working trailer ABS (light on) increases skidding on wet/ice conditions increasing the stopping distance or worse resulting in jack knife

No ABS and empty trailer is bad news

A little commonsense will remedy this, never heard of ABS until we started trying the 121 brake system in 1978
Had to disable the the system on the whole fleet because of so many accidents.
It was several trys before they got this thing to work right, remember anything manmade can and will malfunction.
BTW, we pulled empties and BT before 78

I remember pulling Nationsway sets, cutting the air to the service line in the winter to avoid that kite snapping around. :-)

The pulsing air fed from our tractors helps keep sets straight with or without the Amber lights lit.

I remember pulling Nationsway sets, cutting the air to the service line in the winter to avoid that kite snapping around. :-)

The pulsing air fed from our tractors helps keep sets straight with or without the Amber lights lit.
Cutting air seems would increase jack knofe since trailers want to get ahead of tractor.

YRC Worldwide's regional business and aging fleet drags on third quarter results

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/yrc-worldwide-third-quarter-earnings

Interesting read. Here's a short excerpt:

"Our largest regional carrier with a footprint in one of the most competitive driver hiring markets in North America was forced to turn away profitable business due to capacity constraints, which, along with fleet maintenance, negatively impacted overall Regional segment."
Looks to me like Holland's ancient Sterlings are finally more trouble than they're worth. They were already old when Sterling went out of business, and that was a decade ago now.

Any Holland yard with a shop is practically a Sterling graveyard. Any Sterling placed permanently OoS is slowly stripped for parts to keep the others rolling. Old Yellow Sterlings are donated for parts. Doors, hoods, headlights...cabs even, if they're not ruined. It's pretty sad to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.