FedEx Freight | Our Deeply FLawed Pay Scales (GPD)

Not so fast... Your company seniority does go with you when transferring. Yeah, you'll definitely be at the bottom, but may be among the last to layoff.

If $10k is actually the incentive (mentioned previously), it might be worth it. Especially if you are about to walk, retire, or whatever.
yes but with the starve out plan instead of layoffs company seniorty doesnt mean anything.you just stay on the bottom.

This situation will be a no win for any company, let alone FedEx.
Drivers that get the classification change are happy. I am one of them. Going to terminals where drivers are making more for the same job and living in an area comparable to you is frustrating. Drivers who were at the higher pay rate are mad they didn't get bumped up. They feel they should always stay a step above everyone else. And drivers who didn't get a bump in class feel betrayed. But if you put the whole company on the same pay rate across the country (the only fair way to pay drivers) then people who live in more expensive places to live will complain they make the same as someone who lives in a less expensive area.

So how do you fix it?
You fix it by voting in a union and negotiating a fair wage and benefit package for everyone across the board. ABF drivers are paid the same rate no matter where they live. Same benefits

But if you put the whole company on the same pay rate across the country (the only fair way to pay drivers) then people who live in more expensive places to live will complain they make the same as someone who lives in a less expensive area.

That's the least fair way to pay drivers, and the least fair way for the company to attract and retain the quality of employees they seek.

That's the least fair way to pay drivers, and the least fair way for the company to attract and retain the quality of employees they seek.
True story, Ex. What would be next, house prices per square ft dictated to be the same nationwide? Ha!

Edit: The only real fly in the ointment, that I see, is the COST of insurance (all benefits) via employer IS THE SAME nationwide. That benefits the Chicagoland, N/E, and West coast workers, at the expense of others.

:smilie93c peelout:

Last edited:
Is the cost to the employer, or the cost to the employee the same?

Clearly some are subsidizing others.

In the open market geographic location and age are factors.
Correct on the open market. As far as cost to the employer, one would think it's "factored in". Nation wide vs regional, I would think a southern - regional employer would have a lower cost than a northeastern regional employer. Likely, but I don't know. None of that necessarily translates into lower cost to the employee.

Other than it being a valid part of any nationwide pay scale debate, I don't see much point.

Once upon a time I would have looked deeper into stuff like that. Now, I can't see wasting the time. Cost vs benefit says no. Instead, let's go do something fun!

:smilie93c peelout: :smilie93c peelout: