R&L | Our jobs out the window!!!!!!!!!

There will be no more employee's hired under the R+L name, all future employees, (line local, dock, office) will be "Paramount Logisics". This is straight from the man. :knockout:Out west the are using Southern Cal and landstar to replace teams. I have not seen a team in 4 weeks. and have had my line run cut 2 times now in the last 2 weeks.

The general feeling I get reading the R&L threads is you got alot of happy people for the most part...To those who are critical, or ridicule the Robert's family, I would only ask you one question:
Where were you in 1965 when Larry started the company with one truck and an idea?
It's because of him you have what you have right now, and whatever degree of happiness that brings you. Where might you be had he not done what he did.?
Is it about profit? I would hope so. Does he have the right? I believe he does.

And no, I have never met any of the Roberts, or any of R&L's management team. But R&L is knocking on my customer's doors, so I have taken the time to study the history of the company. You guys are the real deal, and everyone in our industry better be paying attention.

There will be no more employee's hired under the R+L name, all future employees, (line local, dock, office) will be "Paramount Logisics". This is straight from the man.

I heard that today as well. The name "Paramount Leasing" was also used.

What I heard today was very disturbing. We were told that all new hires will be employees of this "Paramount whatever", and will be paid about 30% less an hour than we are.

Also, any R+L employees that leave will be replaced by Paramount hires, at the lower pay scale of course.

Anybody see the potential problem here?

I can appreciate R+L's desire for a truckload division. Overnite has one. Ward has one. Con-Way just bought CFI for theirs, so evidently the customers are demanding this particular service.

What stinks here though is the way they are going about it. Now, I know this may arouse the dudgeon of the likes of Braceface and possibly others, but I don't give a damn. It is the Roberts family's business and they can run it however, but this smells of little more than a way to replace the veteran 20-something dollar an hour drivers with these Paramount guys willing to work for 8 bucks an hour less, all wrapped up in a nice pretty package.

So, lets all look for the chicken#### write-ups and disciplinary screwjobs to take a sharp increase while they attempt to reduce labor costs in the aforementioned fashion.

I hope I'm very wrong in these suspicions, as up to now I've enjoyed working here all things considered, but somehow I doubt it.

I think in some ways your not far of Slingblade.I know I'm Leary of this whole new deal.Ive been screwed by too many companies in 23 yrs to trust them fully.

I don't have an intelligent reply because I did not hear the details in the announcement. But I do have a thought:
If you owned a trucking company that was going through a substantial growth period and were on the cusp of covering the entire mainland and competing with the "big boys", and you were getting ready to blitz your customers with R&L everything to get them to use R&L, would it make sense to **** off the very people who have helped you get to this point??
Again, not knowing the details of what was told today, just doesn't make alot of sense to me.

There has to be more to it...

This is like driving the Daytona 500, having your crew get you out front with great stops, leading all day, and just before the last stop with 20 to go, you kick everyone out of the pits and replace them with people who have never done it before....
It completely defies logic....

There has to be more to it...

This is like driving the Daytona 500, having your crew get you out front with great stops, leading all day, and just before the last stop with 20 to go, you kick everyone out of the pits and replace them with people who have never done it before....
It completely defies logic....
R&L always does things different.... It really isn't all that shocking...... Everybody thinks i just b**** all the time... Like i've said i'm just posting the side nobody likes to see or hear....

The Robert's have always taken pretty good care of us... Who knows what this is really all about...Their is huge potential for them to totally **** their current employee's off if they start trying to phase out current R&L employee's, thus potentially ruining their trucking company... I tend to side with Boxboss on this, maybe they have something in mind regarding a large expansion of service, and will be hiring a lot of new drivers where we have expanded... Personally, I think there will be a lot of hostility between Paramount drivers and R&L drivers...At our barn, we only hire a driver or two a year... If they just start hiring lots drivers that we don't need, and working them, and cutting current drivers, it will be obvious what they are up to...I would just stay calm, and see what happens...

:BS:
The Robert's have always taken pretty good care of us... Who knows what this is really all about...Their is huge potential for them to totally **** their current employee's off if they start trying to phase out current R&L employee's, thus potentially ruining their trucking company... I tend to side with Boxboss on this, maybe they have something in mind regarding a large expansion of service, and will be hiring a lot of new drivers where we have expanded... Personally, I think there will be a lot of hostility between Paramount drivers and R&L drivers...At our barn, we only hire a driver or two a year... If they just start hiring lots drivers that we don't need, and working them, and cutting current drivers, it will be obvious what they are up to...I would just stay calm, and see what happens...
Here is your sign! TE out....

If they just start hiring lots drivers that we don't need, and working them, and cutting current drivers, it will be obvious what they are up to For a fella so anti-union I will bet when all is said and done and they do kick you to the curb,you'll change your tune

Time for that little U word.......

If you guys really feel your about to get phased out for lower paid workers.....um Hello......why not do what overnite/Ups freight did recently. You could put up somewhat of a fight for your jobs--right? It would seem R+L is doing what they feel is best for them--nothing personal, just "business"---maybe you guys should do the same before its too late! Peace and good luck.

I called WIL today and asked them what was going on and the story they told me that the reason for doing all this is to try to save the company some money and save the current r&l drivers. By hiring the new drivers in at a lower rate and higher Ins. rates they could save money and still pay the topped out r&l drivers pay and also still be competive with there freight prices, he did say that this was by no way a plan to phase out the current drivers, that dispite how it sounds is a way to protect the drivers and the company:1036316054:

If they want to save money then get rid of the race car. top rate burlington 24.70 for drivers
i heard the lease drivers will be paid 16.00 and no benifits boys the writing is on the wall told you guys we should have voted in a union so they could'nt f__k with us

Hopefully that is the case----I would certainly keep an eye on the hiring and firing from now on though. If they start getting real petty about things that never were an issue before-- I think that would be a good indicator of their true plans. Thats the great thing about TB---you can see whats going on system wide in your company.