R&L | Our jobs out the window!!!!!!!!!

If you ask me, I think this is a big mistake. They will have a heck of a time getting good p&d drivers and expect them to do the same job as others for 5 to 10 dollars less an hour. I personally think they should save money by stop sponsoring nascar, a sport, with the fuel prices the way their going, is going to be obsolete in the future anyways.

A lot of terminals use lease drivers from driver leasing companies. They pay the company from 40 to 50 dollars an hour, plus time and a half over 8. from that the driver gets about 16 to 19 dollars an hour. Once in awhile you come across a good driver,but due to contracts you cannot hire the guy unless you buy him from the lease company. That cost averages around 10,000. I see where R&L is going with this, but with a leasing company you have the choice when to work and where,as well as a pick of companies to work for. If they are going to start this leasing company and only offer him the choice of working for R&L and only R&L, I dont see this lasting long. Who is going to take a permanent job that only pays you 16 dollars an hour???

Ok, first off as some of you know i have left R&L a few months back,but I still have friends there.
But it seems that some big issues are not being asked or addressed.
Lower pay scale,ok,,,what about the hours? are the new hires still going to be required to work 55-60+ hours??
And if so are they going to get time and half,as not employeed directly to R&L do they still fall under the same clause not requiring time and half???
And if not,what about the current employees,how does that fall under fed regs,one employee getting time and half and one not for the same job recieving a pay check from the same company??

From some of the guys I've talked to recently,R&L seems to tryign to do more work with less people,,,even more than before.

And unfortunatly for some in these times,the lower pay positions will be filled, and filled repeatedly. But that has been R&L's one good point,above average pay,without that only time can tell how it will playout....... i for one don't see it lasting long,,,hang in there guys and C.Y.A.

Yo, what up Firedog & mechanix? Haven't talked to you guys in a while. Both making out alright at your new spots? As you can see it's pretty much the same old with a new twist.
Get back to me when you can.....Later

If they just start hiring lots drivers that we don't need, and working them, and cutting current drivers, it will be obvious what they are up to For a fella so anti-union I will bet when all is said and done and they do kick you to the curb,you'll change your tune
Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...My experience with this compamy is they have treated me fairly for many years....Only God knows what the future hold for us, and since I have faith in him, I am not to worried about it...:1036316054:

I think everything is being blown out of proportion. None of us work for R+L carriers we work for R+L Shared services. This new company will be operating under the name R+L Leasing and the new drivers will work for them. I know most of the Company has been on a hiring freeze so in order for us to hire more drivers they have to reduce the labor cost so creating this other branch is the best way to do that. I doubt they are trying to get rid of all the current drivers, however I think some of the lazy ones should worry. I also wouldn't even consider trying to go union. The roberts family has a bunch of paper companies and could very easy close one and open another that is why like I said we do not work for R+L Carriers. Time will tell and until then there is no sense worrying about something we can't change

I think everything is being blown out of proportion. None of us work for R+L carriers we work for R+L Shared services. This new company will be operating under the name R+L Leasing and the new drivers will work for them. I know most of the Company has been on a hiring freeze so in order for us to hire more drivers they have to reduce the labor cost so creating this other branch is the best way to do that. I doubt they are trying to get rid of all the current drivers, however I think some of the lazy ones should worry. I also wouldn't even consider trying to go union. The roberts family has a bunch of paper companies and could very easy close one and open another that is why like I said we do not work for R+L Carriers. Time will tell and until then there is no sense worrying about something we can't change

That is where you are wrong. You can change it. TE out...

Braceface what terminal are you from. Not trying to be smart but if you would come down to the philly (burlington) terminal you would be *****ing like the rest of us guys on here the t/m runs that place like a prison camp

Yo, what up Firedog & mechanix? Haven't talked to you guys in a while. Both making out alright at your new spots? As you can see it's pretty much the same old with a new twist.
Get back to me when you can.....Later

Doing good here,a few dollars less,no B.S. ,mostly my choice to work over 40 or not. And having nothing better to do but spend time at the beach some day is rough.:1036316054:

I can say that something is fishy Men, by the way anyone hear about Dave C. was fired he was Regional Manager for California?...

Firedog, I totally agree with you i'm a Newark NJ driver paid the same rate as Burlington Drivers $24.70 an hour there should be a Union, but you know how this company feels about Unions, these guys don't see how much pull with a teamsters in here.....

I agree with you, at first I was worried but now I belive its just something there trying out to save some money and later will find out that it don,t work, when the top drivers start having to stay home or they start canning them one after another then I would say its time to leave and go somewhere else because the company won,t last long with that kind of help.:smilie_132:

Firedog, I totally agree with you i'm a Newark NJ driver paid the same rate as Burlington Drivers $24.70 an hour there should be a Union, but you know how this company feels about Unions, these guys don't see how much pull with a teamsters in here.....

A union would be the wrong thing to do the talk of even bring one in would get the doors locked up and us out of a job real fast. If the vote gets to me mine will be NO! I,m not a company man but a union would be the wrong move, I think this lease driver stuff will phase its self out and they,ll see that it won,t work.

I think everything is being blown out of proportion. None of us work for R+L carriers we work for R+L Shared services. This new company will be operating under the name R+L Leasing and the new drivers will work for them. I know most of the Company has been on a hiring freeze so in order for us to hire more drivers they have to reduce the labor cost so creating this other branch is the best way to do that. I doubt they are trying to get rid of all the current drivers, however I think some of the lazy ones should worry.

Like I said before, I have no problem with these guys coming on to work in what is to be their new truckload division.

The part that doesn't pass the smell test with me is the bit about no new hires under the R+L name, and these guys working as flex drivers to fill a linehaul or city run at a moments notice. I'm sorry, but that's just little bit too convenient to not stink to high heaven.

Braceface what terminal are you from. Not trying to be smart but if you would come down to the philly (burlington) terminal you would be *****ing like the rest of us guys on here the t/m runs that place like a prison camp

I am not doubting what you are saying.....I work out of Knoxville TN...Can't really complain much, but I know that all the terminals are not run the same...If you have a A-Hole running the joint,that is probably most of your guys problem...Our TM is decent...

I agree with Slingblade...I think they are trying to bring on a truckload division to do away with using the lease drivers and outside carriers.

By all means, if the writing is on the wall...let's scrub it off and just do the best job possible and concern yourselves more with doing our jobs and not worrying about hearsay. If R+L doesn't want me around any more I will just find a job elsewhere. But until that time comes, I will take each day as it comes and collect that check at the end of every week.

All I can say there is no way in the hell especially here in New Jersey you're going to get a lease driver to come into the company to work for that kind of "Pay"?..., wow it is difficult to even get a driver to apply here in the Newark Terminal for even $20.00 to start.
Moreso, there are plenty of trucking jobs here in the area no to say they pay as well, no way a driver will stay here and be treated unfair wages, and have to work as hard?...

All I can say there is no way in the hell especially here in New Jersey you're going to get a lease driver to come into the company to work for that kind of "Pay"?..., wow it is difficult to even get a driver to apply here in the Newark Terminal for even $20.00 to start.
Moreso, there are plenty of trucking jobs here in the area no to say they pay as well, no way a driver will stay here and be treated unfair wages, and have to work as hard?...

I agree with you Eightball...They will see in time this lease driver thing will not work...