ABF | Pension

Would you vote to opt out of CSPF

• stay in my current plan!

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • open for change!

Votes: 40 67.8%

• Total voters
The YRC teamsters gave generously with a little nudging. ABF teamsters stood tall in 2010..but of course there was no push-back then by the company. I got a hunch you're going to be cut down to at least one knee and take a standing eight count in the coming battle just for not helping out then

No...I'm not talking about the first time or even the second time...I'm talking about the third time. C'mon and tell me...how about asking your pal Billy boy what he calls it?

I'm under the impression he was referring to your resident Pomeranian with the Pit Bull mouth.
Don't call another ABF Teamster in this forum a name. You are a guest on this forum he has not gone to the yrc forum disrupting it by calling you names.I see wolf gave you a like for being off topic but yet he posted letting Docker know he was in his opinion off topic. You two will not badger any ABF Teamsters on this forum. Last warning. I will now tell you to stay on topic. YOUR FAVORITE MODERATOR ALWAYS!

You know I really don't think the pension will be the big thing in this contract. This contract will be about getting ABF's cost down. Look for work rule changes and some type of wage reduction plan to be offered in this contract. ABF has to get more flex ability in work rules to compete with the nons. We have lost a lot of freight due to transit times. We load a full pup going two to three hundred miles which should go overnight but has to sit and wait on a line driver so the freight is late from the start. We are a EOL terminal. The nons can take a city driver and move the freight. We had an acct that would ship 3000 to 10,000 pounds every week to a certian city. The nearest terminal was 100 miles away so instead of a 2 to 3 day delivery spread like the nons. Due to having to interline it takes 7 days for us to get it there. Well you know the rest we lost the acct to a non union carrier. Their transit times are so much better than ours in some lanes. The work rule changes are going to be big also some type of wage concessions plan. It has been said by the CEO that ABF is not looking to get out of the funds. For ABF to get out of the funds would cost the company over 1 billion. All ABF employee can go to Login | Keep on Truckin and verify this, it is the first thing under ask the president.

Don't call another ABF Teamster in this forum a name. You are a guest on this forum he has not gone to the yrc forum disrupting it by calling you names.I see wolf gave you a like for being off topic but yet he posted letting Docker know he was in his opinion off topic. You two will not badger any ABF Teamsters on this forum. Last warning. I will now tell you to stay on topic. YOUR FAVORITE MODERATOR ALWAYS!
Actually I would not respond off topic....that is what you're after...isn't it?

You know I really don't think the pension will be the big thing in this contract. This contract will be about getting ABF's cost down. Look for work rule changes and some type of wage reduction plan to be offered in this contract. ABF has to get more flex ability in work rules to compete with the nons. We have lost a lot of freight due to transit times. We load a full pup going two to three hundred miles which should go overnight but has to sit and wait on a line driver so the freight is late from the start. We are a EOL terminal. The nons can take a city driver and move the freight. We had an acct that would ship 3000 to 10,000 pounds every week to a certian city. The nearest terminal was 100 miles away so instead of a 2 to 3 day delivery spread like the nons. Due to having to interline it takes 7 days for us to get it there. Well you know the rest we lost the acct to a non union carrier. Their transit times are so much better than ours in some lanes. The work rule changes are going to be big also some type of wage concessions plan. It has been said by the CEO that ABF is not looking to get out of the funds. For ABF to get out of the funds would cost the company over 1 billion. All ABF employee can go to Login | Keep on Truckin and verify this, it is the first thing under ask the president.
I am sure there will be a big change from road to UE proposed in this contract.

I believe that it is going to be one of the biggest changes we we see.
For every road run they convert to UE they will save $10.00 an hour. This I seen in the last contract when they set the ground work for future road cuts. At least it will be just ABF people voting on this matter. We can make sure it is controlled to our liking.

For every road run they convert to UE they will save $10.00 an hour. This I seen in the last contract when they set the ground work for future road cuts. At least it will be just ABF people voting on this matter. We can make sure it is controlled to our liking.
Years ago I found that once a man hit about 12 hours (OT factored in) the difference between Mileage and Hourly just about equaled. I do not have current figures but would it be equal to 10 dollars per hour now when figured for the day/week?

Years ago I found that once a man hit about 12 hours (OT factored in) the difference between Mileage and Hourly just about equaled. I do not have current figures but would it be equal to 10 dollars per hour now when figured for the day/week?
UE runs are 4/10 so the first ten hours are straight time. Plus they drop and hook themselves and that stops the double paying. It is a huge savings. In some cases they will be able to work small terminals entire night shifts some day. It is a fast growing segment of the freight industry. It is just a matter of how fast we allow the process to take place. There has to be protections for the road drivers that are affected and that means seniority is going to be a major issue in this contract.

UE runs are 4/10 so the first ten hours are straight time. Plus they drop and hook themselves and that stops the double paying. It is a huge savings. In some cases they will be able to work small terminals entire night shifts some day. It is a fast growing segment of the freight industry. It is just a matter of how fast we allow the process to take place. There has to be protections for the road drivers that are affected and that means seniority is going to be a major issue in this contract.
4/10s would make a big difference in my figures....Makes sense.

We had a VP in a couple weeks ago all he could talk about was the work rule changes ABF needed to compete with the nons. UE's were one of the things he talked about especially in the regional and next day market. Muler I do think we can look for some kind of wage reduction offer. ABF has been very vocal about their cost structure being the highest in the industry. I think we need to be ready to come up with something we can all live with. Muler you are right about the savings.

4/10s would make a big difference in my figures....Makes sense.
This industry will not even resemble it's self in five years. I fear yrc made a huge mistake when they gave the regional freight back to others. It means that they can not run the same cost cutting lanes that a UE system can. They have their long haul only lanes back in place. This is a cut and run period in the freight industry. We the ABF Teamsters can show that it can work to all our benefits if the IBT just don't screw it up. We don't need lies and fear tactics from both sides. If we succeed in a fair and just contract we can show even the non union drivers the way to a better future in trucking. That is my goal in these contract talks. To grow our industry not destroy it. There are many ways to grow the Teamster side and to give ABF the freedom to operate and prosper.

This industry will not even resemble it's self in five years. I fear yrc made a huge mistake when they gave the regional freight back to others. It means that they can not run the same cost cutting lanes that a UE system can. They have their long haul only lanes back in place. This is a cut and run period in the freight industry. We the ABF Teamsters can show that it can work to all our benefits if the IBT just don't screw it up. We don't need lies and fear tactics from both sides. If we succeed in a fair and just contract we can show even the non union drivers the way to a better future in trucking. That is my goal in these contract talks. To grow our industry not destroy it. There are many ways to grow the Teamster side and to give ABF the freedom to operate and prosper.

If you succeed in a fair and just contract? To grow the industry? You have to grow a miracle first.

Looking back I see very little to highlight from YRC decisions. My only suggestion is when turning Road into UE....retreat rights. Couple of my coworkers got burned when we eliminated UEs. If its UE is the future no problem anyway.

You can believe that the company is reading all of this so lets be careful to not spill our guts to our negotiating opponent right now. I will say a few things and try not to spill my guts.

There was a time when overtime actually cost the company more money than straight time. Those days are over and once our benefits are out of the picture the company actually spends less on us per hour of OT than they do per hour of ST.

I see that an exit from most of the pension funds is out of reach for the company for now but I expect that some relief is on their wish list IE: lower payments or no increase and maybe even a deal similar to what NE is cutting with UPS.

Health care is an issue that they can bargain with. They can exit Teamster H&W funds with no consequences like the pension funds are plagued with. They will act like a donkey that doesn't want to move on this one. You can say you heard it here first and if you don't I'll remind you.

Next is, "what can you do to save us money?" They are already asking this and we all know it. From reading this board they see that some expect it to come out of hourly wage, a place that I am opposed to. The only other logical spot to find it is in work rules and they see that we expect this as well. I see them coming out with wage concessions amongst other things. I do not think wage concessions will pass vote from the men I have spoken with and I hope the IBT holds the line on wages and we don't even have to vote on it.