XPO | Re-Training on how to load trailers

Don't forget SME and the good old QCL! I don't know what it stood for, but QCL sounds like DWT to me. What we need, imo, is a ball buster of sorts to walk the outbound and fac dock and take names of non conformers, as well as train. You know who you are! When I did this job on our outbound, it was purely for educational purposes, not discipline. I think it made for better loads, less claims and better overall dock workers. You need the right person in this job. If not, it only makes things worse!

It's in the DWT's description to coach mistakes in loads They say management is supposed to back us up if there's pushback but we've all heard that before so we'll see.

it come's down to these fos rookies forcing people to load more on a trailer than they are capable of due to the experience level.In tell this is fixed it will go on for ever and also not all freight will go together and how does a fos or dock worker fix this when neither even know how to trust a seasoned loader instead of hating him because he can get the job done.

Getting it done and getting it all in there means very little if the freight isn't protected and secured. I've heard the same from our guys about pressure to get it all in there. I put it like this, If you do everything right and load the trailer correctly and it wont all fit, then you did your job and your not wrong for doing it right. It's now the fos's job to find capacity for that freight where it wont be damaged, and they will, when they have to. They wont take blame for you damaging freight because they "requested" lol that it all get in there, however if you load it right and they tell you specifically how to change something and it gets damaged that's not on you. There's almost always a way for the freight to make service by other means and when it wont, late is easier to explain than damaged.

Getting it done and getting it all in there means very little if the freight isn't protected and secured. I've heard the same from our guys about pressure to get it all in there. I put it like this, If you do everything right and load the trailer correctly and it wont all fit, then you did your job and your not wrong for doing it right. It's now the fos's job to find capacity for that freight where it wont be damaged, and they will, when they have to. They wont take blame for you damaging freight because they "requested" lol that it all get in there, however if you load it right and they tell you specifically how to change something and it gets damaged that's not on you. There's almost always a way for the freight to make service by other means and when it wont, late is easier to explain than damaged.

How do you view drivers? As equals , as veterans that you can learn from , or as a us versus them deal?

Your post have been clear and well stated - how things work at this company ( how they really work ) seems to be something you get. Sooooo , just curious - would you want to be a driver here?

How do you view drivers? As equals , as veterans that you can learn from , or as a us versus them deal?

Your post have been clear and well stated - how things work at this company ( how they really work ) seems to be something you get. Sooooo , just curious - would you want to be a driver here?
As both equals and veterans I can learn from depending on the individual and the situation. I don't want to drive I'm pretty happy with my job as is and think I'd personally get pretty bored looking out a windshield.

As both equals and veterans I can learn from depending on the individual and the situation. I don't want to drive I'm pretty happy with my job as is and think I'd personally get pretty bored looking out a windshield.
How do drivers treat you? As an equal , a scrub , or do they just tolerate you?
Would you want to be in management?

Driving is not all stareing out of a windshield. If you became a city driver you would WANT that windshield time , at least a lot of city guys do. There's plenty to do when driving that keeps it somewhat interesting.

Driving is not all stareing out of a windshield. If you became a city driver you would WANT that windshield time , at least a lot of city guys do. There's plenty to do when driving that keeps it somewhat interesting.
Again it depends on the individual. I like to think I have a good relationship with most of our crew, some people had to warm up to me a little over the years. There are a few that see me as the enemy, someone who's taking something away from them. For example the hours I work the dock or my start time. There's not much I can say to that because I understand it. Only response I can have is I'm not the bean counter, I just bid what's available to me and do my job. When I first came to inbound there was ALOT of animosity towards me. I get it, someone's start time was given to me so a senior driver had to go backward. I'd be pretty mad to, might even misdirect my anger a little bit. I totally understand there is a lot of challenge to driving, I already cant stand idiots on the road when I'm in my personal vehicle, I can imagine how I would feel in a big truck lol. There are a select few drivers who treat all dockworkers as scrubs regardless of ability. Most of those are the really senior employees who have lost and lost over the years so there opinion probably wont change before retirement. On the other side we have a couple dockworkers who constantly blame everything on drivers, usually there reasons are more about deflection and an unwillingness to take responsiblilty. Although sometimes they have a point to. Personally I treat everyone with respect even when there not respecting me.

As for wanting to be in management there are a few things there that I would take issue with. For starters I despise salary pay, When you pay someone a flat rate regardless of how long it takes you get a rushed job. Second, FOS pay is not that good. Third, they almost always want you to move to be management. And putting up with all the pressure from above while your trying to take care of and supervise the people below you, It's stressful.

Something that I've always found comical is to hear/watch two know-it-alls try loading (and supposedly help each other) to load the same trailer. They spend more time arguing and debating where to put each piece than they do actually loading the damn trailer.
Over the decades, I been instructed to team up with someone to load a load. (I'm on the forklift) After the know-it-all on foot finally starts getting under my skin and wants to change the plan that I had in my head for each piece, I end up saying "who's running this :censored: forklift, me or you"? I've said the same thing to management that was standing over my shoulder.
"There's more than one way to make a perfect load, so shut the hell up".
I don't like being a (Richard), but I'm also not going to sit and debate where to put each piece.
:6788:
Absolutely.

I don't mean any disrespect, but your way out of touch with the pressures from the FOS. The fact is, if we follow the swi for loading, there's no possible way to hit 90 cube or better. They have to go by what linehaul tells them now. The Conway crunch is alive and well in xpo. It has to be.

Getting it all in 1 trailer that is God awful heavy and then stringing an empty behind it is STUPID!!!!!!!! How about loading a couple of heavies that I can run together so that I am not blowing all over the interstate. I HATE EMPTY AND OR LIGHT TRAILERS.
We had a q&a with a RM a while back. He asked for honesty, so I asked him this exact question. He said it makes no sense to him either, and it's one thing he's working on changing. Still waiting...

We had a q&a with a RM a while back. He asked for honesty, so I asked him this exact question. He said it makes no sense to him either, and it's one thing he's working on changing. Still waiting...
I asked that once and the answer I got was so the FAC would have less trailer to back in and work. I said what does that matter it's still the same amount of freight and there is a less chance of damages. I was told that I don't see the big picture. Well the picture I see is if they send 3 driver to the same FAC well that's 6 trailers, but they will make us cram 3 of them and send 3 empties with. I don't know about anyone else but I can work a floor load trailer faster than a trailer that been crammed full.

Don't forget SME and the good old QCL! I don't know what it stood for, but QCL sounds like DWT to me. What we need, imo, is a ball buster of sorts to walk the outbound and fac dock and take names of non conformers, as well as train. You know who you are! When I did this job on our outbound, it was purely for educational purposes, not discipline. I think it made for better loads, less claims and better overall dock workers. You need the right person in this job. If not, it only makes things worse!

We can't have ball buster on the docks now a days they my hurt someone's FEELINGS

:crybaby:

How is it that it seems like we all work at the same terminal? I didn't really think this company was the same way I see it all over the country but I'm convinced.

I really don't see how Con-way/XPO LTL is going to continue staying in business at this rate. I mean Con-way was making a profit so I guess people are dealing with all this stuff but I know I wouldn't as a customer.

Trucks and trailers get beat all to hell along with the forklifts and handhelds.

My ear is aching now from the screeching of a newbie dragging the landing gear 10ft and dragging the brakes. I can't imagine how many trailers our mechanics would actually need to adjust the brakes on if they were looked at. An easy extra 20+ minutes everyday if you go have the brakes adjusted manually at the shop! But they are self-adjusting.. I can't imagine dragging them 10ft is easy on emr helps them self-adjust.

Up above whoever said this company is about protecting ones self first is spot on.

Are we sure Con-way made a profit??? They can put any number on a piece of paper. This is the only LTL company I ever work for that the local terminal did not know if they were making a profit or working at a loss

I have pickup at customer's that had the same freight going to the same place with 2 different carries and one of them being Conway. I ask why this was and the customer told me that we will get it there quickly and the other carrier will get there undamaged.

I don't mean any disrespect, but your way out of touch with the pressures from the FOS. The fact is, if we follow the swi for loading, there's no possible way to hit 90 cube or better. They have to go by what linehaul tells them now. The Conway crunch is alive and well in xpo. It has to be.
I've gotten plenty of pressure from fos's to get it in there. Fact is nobody is ever saying "damage the freight so it will fit" I loaded lanes every night when I was on outbound, still do load some outbound. Things were always loaded correctly good and bad cube, the average was still over ninety. Freight is also routinely rerouted when it's necessary ex. no room without being damaged. IMO there is never a good excuse to damage the freight, like I said if management tells me to do it a specific way I will but that's on them.

Course different terminals have different cultures to, I don't know what goes on in your neck of the woods

Last summer, during a "town hall" meeting, our former DOO told us that the company only expects 80 cube per trailer. My mouth hit the floor.

goal is usually between 85 and 90 in my experience. If one trailer is 100 and next is 80 that's still a 90 average