TForce | Road/Linehual Driver's

You come here be prepared to work the dock instead of driving. All drivers start out on the dock and only when a bid come around then you can which to either city or linehaul.

251;

What about the other people who came to work here because it was non-union? Should they be forced to now work for a union company? The way I see it, the most logical solution is for the people who are so hell-bent on going union might be better served to pursue a union job where there is already a union and the ones who aren't the least bit interested should just continue reporting to work where there isn't one. Tell me why that doesn't make sense or why it's fair that those who want a union should force those who don't to work in that sort of an environment?

And don't tell me that they'd be better off and that they just don't know any better. I like sleeping with women while others prefer guys. I'm pretty happy with my preference and ain't the least bit interested in what others prefer and I certainly don't want to be force to conform just because some are too lazy to look for another job.

(Read, go apply at USF Holland or Yellow.)

upgf-driver said:
251;

What about the other people who came to work here because it was non-union? Should they be forced to now work for a union company? The way I see it, the most logical solution is for the people who are so hell-bent on going union might be better served to pursue a union job where there is already a union and the ones who aren't the least bit interested should just continue reporting to work where there isn't one. Tell me why that doesn't make sense or why it's fair that those who want a union should force those who don't to work in that sort of an environment?
Some of us fought for this country. Welcome to America Land of the Free!

upgf-driver said:
251;

Are you telling me you took your job over others because it was non-union? No other considerations, money, benny's, life style, working conditions? If you took the 1st job that came along because you had to support your family, I can understand that completely. But I have a little trouble understanding why you would pass up a union job to take a non-union job, based on that criteria only.

Misfit73; Jax,Fl.

Jimmy Buffett; Thanks. I knew someone besides me would know that. I believe it fits alot of views here though, don't you? Also, the lyric just before that one. "Your looking for a ruby in a mountain of rocks."

upgf-driver said:
251;

Thats why theres a vote or a 50% plus one signed card rule(well not rule).

Well seeing that you don't list your state I can't tell wether or not you work for a right -to-work state so that points mute.

upgf-driver said:
251;

If Overnite should becomes union what's stopping you from going to look for another non-union job.
Why is the union , in your eyes, so bad?

I hear it all the time on this forum but no one get even list why the union is so bad, except my so-called arragant, brash, condesending attitude that projects the demeanor and bad-boy Teamster stereotypical image.

If you chose to work at Overnie strictly base on the fact that they were non-union. that's a pretty weak choice.

By the way, no one will force you to work union. It's a free country and you can come an go as you please.
The majority however will decide wether or not your terminal decides to be represented by the Teamster, APWA or someother labor faction for that matter.

tell us all why you don't want to leave Overnite.
We can compare those reason to the reason why Pro-union workers don't wan to leave Overnite and I'll tell you somthing, you'll both probally agree.

T251

some of us are already here and we do not work the dock or do anything but drive line and we get paid for what we do at all times...If the company can not get us out on time not my problem....you will make your own decision but we are union in reno and will stay that way...good luck...keep watching those videos of drivers throwing rock at drivers...They may have been teamsters but they were still overnite drivers...if the union does not do anything for you and you are better off why is upsf trying so hard to keep you out of the union instead of concentrating on their freight business? Fedex has nothing to worry about.

thanks T thats what it is all about, sticking together and sticking-up fo eachother. at least i know im not the "mis"fit and it sounds like that other driver has a guilty concious about somthing.

Teamster251 said:
Well seeing that you don't list your state I can't tell wether or not you work for a right -to-work state so that points mute.

If Overnite should becomes union what's stopping you from going to look for another non-union job.
Why is the union , in your eyes, so bad?

I hear it all the time on this forum but no one get even list why the union is so bad, except my so-called arragant, brash, condesending attitude that projects the demeanor and bad-boy Teamster stereotypical image.

If you chose to work at Overnie strictly base on the fact that they were non-union. that's a pretty weak choice.

By the way, no one will force you to work union. It's a free country and you can come an go as you please.
The majority however will decide wether or not your terminal decides to be represented by the Teamster, APWA or someother labor faction for that matter.

tell us all why you don't want to leave Overnite.
We can compare those reason to the reason why Pro-union workers don't wan to leave Overnite and I'll tell you somthing, you'll both probally agree.

T251

You know life is easier when you expect everyone else to see it your (being the gentleman you are responding to) way. I agree MAJORITY rules and that is that. But why will no one state why the O way is so great and the union is so bad. Dealing with aholes is understandable but basing your lifes decisions on a few idiots, that probably had no interest in what was going on anyway.....

251;

I don't think the union is so bad, it's just the pension issue. I really liked the fact that the pension was company funded (100%) and now that UPS owns us, it's even better. What the union offers sounds a lot like social security.

The biggest negative that I have towards the union is that it protects the lazy people. I know people who thrive in a union environment and I would never hire them to work for me, nor do I really like working with them. They do the minimun and complain the entire time. I'm more of an over-achiever type and I've always excelled at whatever I did and I didn't need a union to cover my tail.

My decision to come to Overnite was based on the pension, mostly. LTL companies are mostly the same in terms of pay, runs, and senority. There are some differences.

As for why I don't want to leave, there are a few. For starters, I have some negative things in my background and they seem to hinder my chances with other companies. It used to be that I could get hired wherever I wanted, but lately the places I can get hired are far fewer then the ones that are willing to hire me. So for that reason, I tend to stick it out wherever I'm at. (I've had just three jobs in past 15 years.) Other reasons are the obvious in terms of starting over, senority and the fact that UPS is the premier company in my view.

I recognize that this is and will be a devisive issue with strong opinions and feelings on each side. Not everyone will be happy with what ultimately happens.

I'm just offering my opinion and trying to present another way for everyone to look at this.

Pssssssst.
Don't mean to interupt, but any info on pay and other such info the gentleman asked for would be nice. Thanks.....

WOW.....I didn't mean to stir up such a hornets nest! I was just curious about UPSF. Was interested in thier linehaul. Any way I did get hired FT where I'm at now, and have signed my card. I am new to Union work so cant really draw any conclusions at this point.

I live and work for my family, and what I feel is best for us, you should do the same for you and yours.

My favorite saying is "I got a Class A in my back pocket, doubles, trips, HM and tank. I can quit before lunch and have a job by supper time. My TM loves that one.

Bottom line is you do what's right for your family, as long a Momma's happy.......everybody is happy.......
JW

upgf-driver said:
251;

I don't think the union is so bad, it's just the pension issue. I really liked the fact that the pension was company funded (100%) and now that UPS owns us, it's even better. What the union offers sounds a lot like social security.

They made it better? What improvements were made?
Or is it simply the fact that UPS controls it that makes you happy?
Think again about your pension money and what UPS wants to do with it and is lobbying congress to be able to do it, legally. You'll have no say in it at all.
Okay you must know What the union offers if you can compare it to SS.
What makes them similar?

The biggest negative that I have towards the union is that it protects the lazy people.
Another stereotypical statement. How many "lazy" Teamsters do you know?
Did you see these guys in a video or maybe a corporate meeting was centered around them.

I know people who thrive in a union environment and I would never hire them to work for me, nor do I really like working with them. They do the minimun and complain the entire time.

This must be the "lazy" ones, right? Keep drinking the Kool-Aid son

I'm more of an over-achiever type and I've always excelled at whatever I did and I didn't need a union to cover my tail.
Is this why no one else will hire you, as you revel later in this post?

My decision to come to Overnite was based on the pension, mostly. LTL companies are mostly the same in terms of pay, runs, and senority. There are some differences.

You were able to, as an applicant, investigate the pension plan and be able to get the documated info needed to comapre?

As for why I don't want to leave, there are a few. For starters, I have some negative things in my background and they seem to hinder my chances with other companies. It used to be that I could get hired wherever I wanted, but lately the places I can get hired are far fewer then the ones that are willing to hire me. So for that reason, I tend to stick it out wherever I'm at. (I've had just three jobs in past 15 years.) Other reasons are the obvious in terms of starting over, senority and the fact that UPS is the premier company in my view.

Hmmmm, starting over, seniority, probally important to other too. Maybe that's why they chose the Teamster side of things.

I recognize that this is and will be a devisive issue with strong opinions and feelings on each side. Not everyone will be happy with what ultimately happens.

I'm just offering my opinion and trying to present another way for everyone to look at this.

Well you offered your opinion to me, you addressed the post to me, so I replied.

T251

251;

I addressed it to you because you asked me questions in your previous post and I thought I might provide answers for you, much like I'm going to do here.

They made it better? What improvements were made?
Or is it simply the fact that UPS controls it that makes you happy?
Think again about your pension money and what UPS wants to do with it and is lobbying congress to be able to do it, legally. You'll have no say in it at all.
Okay you must know What the union offers if you can compare it to SS.
What makes them similar?

What I like is that you have a profitable, 100 year old, billion dollar company that will stand behind the pension promise. The teamsters are in a decline and rumours abound about the likelyhood of the pension being there when a guy retires much like they abound about social security being there as well.

Another stereotypical statement. How many "lazy" Teamsters do you know?
Did you see these guys in a video or maybe a corporate meeting was centered around them.
This must be the "lazy" ones, right? Keep drinking the Kool-Aid son

I'm not going to debate this with you. You believe what you want and I will continue to believe in what I have seen. It will do no good for me to detail this as you're likely to not believe it anyways.

And for the record, my examples are not teamsters, but union workers in general. And lets be honest, what is the unions big selling point? "We'll protect your job." Who does that appeal to?

Is this why no one else will hire you, as you revel later in this post?

A criminal record has nothing to do with how I perform on the job. Once in, that never comes up again and I can move forward and perform and make the TM happy with their decision to hire me. And I don't think I said that 'no one else will hire me' either.

You were able to, as an applicant, investigate the pension plan and be able to get the documated info needed to comapre?

Do you think I did? If so, then you're giving me more credit then you should. I knew they had a pension that was 100% funded unlike what I hear the teamsters are offering. That was a selling point for me. Perhaps I could have done more research, but I was happy with what I had come up with.

As for my employment history and job security, I was never let go from any of my previous jobs. It was either an election to move from a really small local company or that the company went out of business. I was held in high regard at every job that I have ever at and could get rehired if I wanted to. I don't see that trend ever ending and if all the teamsters can offer me is job security then that sell isn't going to work on me. And if their going to try and debate the pensions then that will be lost on me as well.

You've asked me questions and I've responded to them. Now I'd like to ask you a couple. Why should I go union? What are they going to do for me? Because I don't really see it. I am unhappy with the waiting time thing, but I see that more as an Overnite issue than I do a UPS Freight issue. We've only been UPS Freight for a few weeks and it's unreasonable to think that they were going to come in and change everything in one day.

JWor said:
WOW.....I didn't mean to stir up such a hornets nest! I was just curious about UPSF. Was interested in thier linehaul. Any way I did get hired FT where I'm at now, and have signed my card. I am new to Union work so cant really draw any conclusions at this point.

I live and work for my family, and what I feel is best for us, you should do the same for you and yours.

My favorite saying is "I got a Class A in my back pocket, doubles, trips, HM and tank. I can quit before lunch and have a job by supper time. My TM loves that one.

Bottom line is you do what's right for your family, as long a Momma's happy.......everybody is happy.......
JW

You know truck drivers love to voice their opinions. So we love hornets nests, just hope you got your questions answered. That is the problem in our outstanding views we forget that someone else actually just needed a little info......

upgf-driver said:
And for the record, my examples are not teamsters, but union workers in general. And lets be honest, what is the unions big selling point? "We'll protect your job." Who does that appeal to?
Being a teamster, and a hard worker, it appeals to me. Most companies,and maybe not yours, will fire you for almost any accident on the road. Not just because they don't like you or any petty reason(although they might). Because its a insurance thing. The Union, protects you from such instances. Obviously, if your grossly negligent, you might not get your job back and maybe you shouldn't, but for the most part, we're human and things happen. Should we lose our jobs?

upgf-driver said:
251;

I addressed it to you because you asked me questions in your previous post and I thought I might provide answers for you, much like I'm going to do here.

What I like is that you have a profitable, 100 year old, billion dollar company that will stand behind the pension promise. The teamsters are in a decline and rumours abound about the likelyhood of the pension being there when a guy retires much like they abound about social security being there as well.

I'm not going to debate this with you. You believe what you want and I will continue to believe in what I have seen. It will do no good for me to detail this as you're likely to not believe it anyways.

A criminal record has nothing to do with how I perform on the job. Once in, that never comes up again and I can move forward and perform and make the TM happy with their decision to hire me. And I don't think I said that 'no one else will hire me' either.

Do you think I did? If so, then you're giving me more credit then you should. I knew they had a pension that was 100% funded unlike what I hear the teamsters are offering. That was a selling point for me. Perhaps I could have done more research, but I was happy with what I had come up with.

As for my employment history and job security, I was never let go from any of my previous jobs. It was either an election to move from a really small local company or that the company went out of business. I was held in high regard at every job that I have ever at and could get rehired if I wanted to. I don't see that trend ever ending and if all the teamsters can offer me is job security then that sell isn't going to work on me. And if their going to try and debate the pensions then that will be lost on me as well.

You've asked me questions and I've responded to them. Now I'd like to ask you a couple. Why should I go union? What are they going to do for me? Because I don't really see it. I am unhappy with the waiting time thing, but I see that more as an Overnite issue than I do a UPS Freight issue. We've only been UPS Freight for a few weeks and it's unreasonable to think that they were going to come in and change everything in one day.
WOW you better becareful. When FDX bought AF the redid everyone's background checks. They were much more extensive then the average trucking company. This resulting in some associates getting let go, because they didn't meet FDX criteria.
Good luck.:smilie_132:

Hey UPGF-driver

Lazy people need to earn a living too !!!
What gives anyone the right to judge anyone else .

Is the 55 year old driver lazy because I can move pallets around faster with a jack ?

Is the driver with the back problem lazy because I can move a dolly around and build a set faster than him ?

Is a driver lazy because he takes the time to perform a proper pre-trip inspection ?

Is a driver lazy because he spends an hour in the shop with cracked brakes instead of pulling dangerous equipment ?

Is a driver lazy because he chooses to drive the speed limit instead of hammering down the road ?

How about some examples of what you consider lazy . It might just be me but I've always noticed that ' in the workplace ' , there will always be people that should be more focused on their job rather than everyone else's !!!