ABF | Roy M. Slagle "Consultant" @$27,000 per month

They have to start burning thru the money . The end of the contract will be here before you know it !! They will ask for another give back-then when the vote is yes-they will make more useless job titles that pay over 100 grand a year so people can show up with the dunkin donut coffee cup in hand telling us how much they love us,all the while checking the pda to catch the people stealing company time- never taking time to notice that it might be themselves. It's hard to make revenue for the company when you are standing around with your hands in your pockets.
If they want to burn through money they can start by getting pda's that actually work, I can't see how they can use these to discipline anyone they don't work half the time....

If they want to burn through money they can start by getting pda's that actually work, I can't see how they can use these to discipline anyone they don't work half the time....
Roy the consultant is going to make this his first order of business in his new position.

I am with you brother. I used to tell them where I could find an empty, but not anymore. Their precious computer should tell them. Except for Chad, it is a rare occasion to see a supervisor walk the dock. Daniel is also walking the dock. He is smart enough to know that good freight management can’t be done from a monitor without actually looking @ the freight. Since moving back from 319, the parking looks like Charlie shelled it. They don’t care about fixing the fox holes, I don’t care. They don’t care to replace the light by doors 1 & 2 making for a more dangerous work place & night, I don’t care. They don’t care to clean the apron, to prevent a nail from going thru your foot, I don’t care. If a formal complaint to Indiana OSHA was made, would they care?

File a grievance on failure to maintain a safe working environment.
It will be fixed before you know it.

It's obscene,....whatever it is........and he don't care. Neither does Judy,......or the Board of Directors. The people who should care are the IBT officers who allowed this steaming heap of a contract,......which also includes language about "Equal Sacrifice"..........Yeah,...Right. Hey!.....I'll come and "Consult" for half of Roy's price.............I can prop my feet up and slurp coffee with the best of them......Throw in a box of donuts, and I'll do it for $10,000 a month.............Thanks to all the executives who made this possible.....You're really incentivizing your work force.......We'll work extra hard so you can afford that......"Consulting" .....fee......Are you sure that's....."Consulting"........and not...."Insulting"....?

Is this considered his "separation agreement" or a going away gift from Judy and the Board of Directors?
No, Roy was separated from employment then hired as a consultant with gag orders. How's that look?

Y'all read way too much into everything ;)

The man gave 37 years to ABF and is now "retiring" on less than 30% of his previous salary. If you folks were retiring on 30%, had to sign a non-disclosure agreement as well as a non-compete clause, while still being expected to attend an occasional conference call you would be livid with the terrible pension.

The man gave 37 years to ABF and is now "retiring" on less than 30% of his previous salary. If you folks were retiring on 30%, had to sign a non-disclosure agreement as well as a non-compete clause, while still being expected to attend an occasional conference call you would be livid with the terrible pension.
He shouldn't rely on a pension. He should have prepared and planned and saved for retirement. Isnt that what you preach on the fedex board?

Yeah, but he is getting somewhere around 48 - 52 weeks vacation a year and I had to give up a week.

He shouldn't rely on a pension. He should have prepared and planned and saved for retirement. Isnt that what you preach on the fedex board?

I said "you"/"you folks" would be livid with such a terrible pension.

A saying about being hanged with a new rope comes to mind.

I don't just preach it on the FedEx board, I walk the walk.

Oh,....Good Grief!...You're seriously defending an ..........executive,........who's just found a creative way to get paid for doing nothing? After he spent the last two years crying doom, gloom, and poverty..... while threatening closure and buyouts? Obviously, Mr. Slagle isn't "walking the walk." The real question is why didn't he retain his already bloated salary and position with the company,....instead of abruptly retiring,....and then a couple of weeks later,....sneak in the back door,....metaphysically speaking,.....and pick our pockets? And..........Are you sure about the 30% figure?.....Seems to me his salary was around the $400,000 mark.............and twelve months of $27,000 is $324,000...........Maybe math is taught different in Arkansas...........

No, Roy was separated from employment then hired as a consultant with gag orders. How's that look?
Well,....we're gagging, for sure..........."Consultant" ,hey?........Is that what the mob calls it, when they pay someone a lot of money to keep quiet?

Yoo-Hoo!...Tyson!....Tyson Johnson!....Look over here!......Here!.....Someone's violating the "Equal Sacrifice" language you've negotiated!......Yoo-Hoo!.......Hey!......Tyson!..................(I'm trying to get his attention,....but I don't think I'm getting through.....).....

Are you sure about the 30% figure?.....Seems to me his salary was around the $400,000 mark.............and twelve months of $27,000 is $324,000...........Maybe math is taught different in Arkansas...........

Our math may be the same, but our figures aren't. I got mine from:

ARCB ArcBest Corp Executive Compensation

Which shows $1.096MM.

It's not so much that I defending an executive as I am pointing out the insistent nature of complaints about all things management and how if the tables were turned (30%) many would be livid about the "crappy pension".

You do realize there are a fair amount of truck drivers who may not even have a high school diploma collecting wages that put them in the top 10% of income earners in the US.

Wal,...Sir,..I is one 'a' da truck drivers wit'out a high skool diploma,....but I is Highly Eddercated.....Went threw Tenth Grade THREE times........Whoo-Boy,...I got Tenth Grade down GOOD!..........And I USED to be in the top 10% of wage earners,......Funny,...I haven't done anything differently in the last 40 years I've been in trucking,....but for some reason, I just don't seem to be making the same money as electricians, plumbers,pipefitters, locomotive crewman, Frack truck drivers,....UPS drivers,....."Consultants".....The ..."insistency"....probably comes from a marked distaste of being lied to by upper management. A good example would be the....."leaking"....of a potential buyout by a near-bankrupt competitor,...who had already taken concessions,....in the middle of our own contract talks. The Corporate explanation I got, was that ABF would be a good dead,...."undervalued", I believe, was the term...for YRC to buy, as we were experiencing "financial" difficulties. What a difference six months makes! In the six months after taking concessions, all middle management got a pay raise,..ALL upper management got a BIG pay raise,...Two new corporate headquarters ...ABC, and Panther,...were starting construction,.........new equipment ordered....."Consultants" hired.........So,...us working people,...who gave up 7% and a weeks' vacation,....are supposed to stop our "insistent" nagging, and shut up?

Wal,...Sir,..I is one 'a' da truck drivers wit'out a high skool diploma,....but I is Highly Eddercated.....Went threw Tenth Grade THREE times........Whoo-Boy,...I got Tenth Grade down GOOD!..........And I USED to be in the top 10% of wage earners,......Funny,...I haven't done anything differently in the last 40 years I've been in trucking,....but for some reason, I just don't seem to be making the same money as electricians, plumbers,pipefitters, locomotive crewman, Frack truck drivers,....UPS drivers,....."Consultants".....The ..."insistency"....probably comes from a marked distaste of being lied to by upper management. A good example would be the....."leaking"....of a potential buyout by a near-bankrupt competitor,...who had already taken concessions,....in the middle of our own contract talks. The Corporate explanation I got, was that ABF would be a good dead,...."undervalued", I believe, was the term...for YRC to buy, as we were experiencing "financial" difficulties. What a difference six months makes! In the six months after taking concessions, all middle management got a pay raise,..ALL upper management got a BIG pay raise,...Two new corporate headquarters ...ABC, and Panther,...were starting construction,.........new equipment ordered....."Consultants" hired.........So,...us working people,...who gave up 7% and a weeks' vacation,....are supposed to stop our "insistent" nagging, and shut up?
I was going to respond to his posts but he is one of those who is not worthy. You know, the type who know everything and you cannot win with.

You may be lacking an education, but you aren't lacking a sense of humor :)

I absolutely don't believe you should stop nagging and shut up...however, I do believe that being more selective about what you complain about would have more of an impact. Personally, I don't find $27K/mo exorbitant. As you have noted in the above quote there are bigger issues to complain about.

I was going to respond to his posts but he is one of those who is not worthy. You know, the type who know everything and you cannot win with.

There's a ton I don't know. I just admitted to being ignorant of a lot of things on another thread last week. I've conceded a debate on this forum from time to time.

Thank you about the sense of humor,......but at my age, I'm starting to fire at all the "targets" with a shotgun. An impending sense of doom? Encroachment of Curmudgeonship? Whatever the reason,......surely I can't overlook ABF creating a position out of thin air,....to add another "log" to the overcrowded deadwood that clutters Fort Smith,.............after coming to the rank-and-file with hat in hand, and begging,......(...with a few subtle threats..)...for part of my paycheck.........And, Brother.......If you don't find $27,000 a month to be exorbitant,......boy, I'd like to live in your neighborhood.