ABF | Roy M. Slagle "Consultant" @$27,000 per month

From past experience with you I should know better. But I'm curious as to what your point is so I'll bite on this. Isn't that basically what did happen with OD going into direct competition with the ABF U-Pack service? Are you implying that OD had some how obtained inside information about ABF's U-Pack service?
Cant wait for this b.s I mean answer....

Exactly...

[QOUTE=papajohn]No president or CEO is worth the money they are being paid, and there should be no extra compensation when one leaves, or retires. !

Of course I disagree. I could say the same about any union truck driver, we'd both disagree with each other.

Funny you bring up the U-Pack...it is something different that ArcBest does. How would it have gone over had OD come out with a "U-Pack" campaign and all those containers offering the service and name about 1 day after ArcBest ordered all those containers? Just a small example of some of things that could bite you in the ass.[/QUOTE] They tried and just can't get it down. They ordered a cube under a alias and when abf watched they were measuring and going over it. But they can not get it down right.

Simply knowing the next page of the marketing strategy playbook, knowing what the next new service to provide is, or property to purchase, or anticipated pricing increase are examples of things that would help your competition stay one step ahead. Anything that puts you at a competitive disadvantage, in one way or another could be detrimental to ArcBest Corp.

It doesn't have to boil down to who's sleeping with whom, or who has photos of who doing blow off a hookers' ass.
You have got to be kidding. That is the business model for any company. And it does boil down to who is sleeping with who. How do they get the INSIDE INFORMATION if they don't have a mole? I can't believe you figured that all out on your own. I hope nobody figures out the it is peanut butter in the middle of a REESE'S CUP! YOUR IN AWWWW BROTHER ALWAYS!

The non-disclosure and non-compete agreements are what gives ArcBest recourse. It does not matter what others might be willing to pay.

Not sure what you are talking about, I never mentioned a $200K figure, maybe you meant to quote someone else?
$27,000.00 a month equals a couple hundred thousand dollars a year.

I disagree!!! IMO There usually is a confidentially protection included in every contract protecting the company’s best interest. When it comes to a high level Executive that would have access to very sensitive information, Company’s include and expect high level of integrity and discretion. THIS IS ALL PART OF THEIR PAY PACKAGE!!! You can bet ARCBest is not going to leave themselves unprotected, in the result of a disgruntled employee.

No president or CEO is worth the money they are being paid, and there should be no extra compensation when one leaves, or retires. This is all part of their pay package while holding their position … Giving Roy Slagle receiving $27,000 a month and ARCBest calling it a consultation fee is a joke (they already take care of their own). This is an insult and should **** off every single employee who took concessions, and loss of vacations while watching upper management receive Pay raises, bonuses, stock options, and other forms of compensation.

If Mr. Slagle was worried that his golden parachute wasn't enough he should have just stayed working. If he was fired then throw him out without any form of compensation.
Mr. Slagle is responsible for our current contract... THEIR WISH LIST WAS GRANTED WITH HELP FROM TEAMSTER NEGOTIATORS AND ABF TEAMSTERS!!! ARCBest AND ABF RECEIVED EVERYTHING THEY WANTED AND MORE!!!

To me he sounds just like a few of the guys during contract time, trying to convince us how underpaid our company leadership was ... how they deserved more, trying to convince all how we are soo overpaid ... more important convincing teamster members that the company was in poverty, and will be out of business if we did not accept the contract without even trying to defend our current contract. Sorry I didn't buy it then ... don't buy into it now. Even a blind monkey can see that we were never in a financial crisis...Upper Management is already overpaid, and now believes they deserves more... at our expense. BS!!!

Exactly...

Sorry, Exactly is not an appropriate answer, They already were paid for their services, and there is no need to pay them a 2nd time for something they already had in their contract!!!

papajohn]No president or CEO is worth the money they are being paid, and there should be no extra compensation when one leaves, or retires. !
Of course I disagree. I could say the same about any union truck driver, we'd both disagree with each other.
What are you talking about, and how can you compare this to your statement about a union truck driver.

$27,000.00 a month equals a couple hundred thousand dollars a year.

Actually it's over 300K, so when you said $200K I wasn't sure if you were talking about something else.

Sorry, Exactly is not an appropriate answer, They already were paid for their services, and there is no need to pay them a 2nd time for something they already had in their contract!!!

"Exactly!" wasn't an answer, as what I quoted didn't contain a question. It was an exclamation that I agreed with the statement. Ha Ha, even when I agree with someone they want to turn it into an argument.

How do you know his contract didn't contain a non-compete clause of 1 year and the company, upon severance, wanted 3 years?

papajohn said:
What are you talking about, and how can you compare this to your statement about a union truck driver.

Simple, you made a statement that "No president or CEO is worth the money they are being paid, and there should be no extra compensation when one leaves, or retires." I disagree, and was illustrating just how absurd that statement was by inserting a union truck driver into your scenario. That should have made it clear just how biased, and broad sweeping your statement was.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if the pressure of "The Skill and the Will" was just too much for Roy. Maybe he "cracked". Maybe the company wanted too much skill and too much will.....how many sub zero nights working the dock can he handle ? How many snow storms can he try to make it thru in the middle of the night with double trailers can one man do ? How many impossible house deliveries can one man put up with ? ( you know- sir ,i cannot get this 387lb. treadmill up your spiral staircase /' customer'- but driver, i paid for an inside delivery !!!! ) Maybe Roy deserves 27,000 a month, I'm sure that he could not put away any money during his career for a rainy day or retirement on the meager salary he was making. Maybe the loss of a weeks vacation was more than he could stand !! We might never know !!

C'mon, it's a measley $1.00/wk for ol' Roy out of your paycheck. You have it, I have it. After all he's done for us it's the least we can do. Besides, he has company killing information in his head. We need to lock him down before he divulges all he knows to our competitors and pits us all out of work.

We all have been somewhat sold out.Those at ABF not so much as the YRC counterparts.The union did not want ABF to continue on with the lawsuits pertaining to unfair treatment of ABF by YRC in the contract.We all see that ABF didn't suffer as many losses as they had claimed.Example...The building of a multi million dollar facility in Memphis.The compensation of Mr.Slagle.Of all that I spoke of in the latter.I apologize for those that have already figured out the obvious.God Bless the working people

My comments, while i totally disagree with giving him a dime, i gave speculation it was severance with no compete. The severance or money would likely cover contractual stuff he had.. again pure speculation.. i wonder and think they do enter into contracts with executives. Again, i agree, show them the door, i want my pay and vaca back..he got enough perks at our expense.

EX396;1454778
]"Exactly!" wasn't an answer, as what I quoted didn't contain a question. It was an exclamation that I agreed with the statement. Ha Ha, even when I agree with someone they want to turn it into an argument.

Your response was not clear, need to explain yourself better... YOU ARE THE ONE CLAIMING THAT THIS BEHAVIOR IS OK ... THE COMPANY CLAIMS POVERTY ... NOW IS ON A SPENDING SPREE... SPENDING MONEY THAT WILL DO NOTHING TO HELP BRING THIS COMPANY BACK TO PROFITABILITY!!!

EVERY PERSON THAT TOOK A CONCESSION SHOULD CAN SEE THE COMPANY HAS DOUBLE STANDARDS, AND THEY SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!!!

How do you know his contract didn't contain a non-compete clause of 1 year and the company, upon severance, wanted 3 years?

Even if it was in there, he had been compensated.

Simple, you made a statement that "No president or CEO is worth the money they are being paid, and there should be no extra compensation when one leaves, or retires." I disagree, and was illustrating just how absurd that statement was by inserting a union truck driver into your scenario. That should have made it clear just how biased, and broad sweeping your statement was.

How can you compare an Executive making high 6 figures to a Union Truck Driver making maybe $70.000 or any kind of driver for that matter. When a driver quits, retires, or fired he maybe has a pension if he is lucky... The Executive's pension has already being compensated is in his wages, other forms of compensation, and his golden parachute already in place... When an executive leaves he gets a party and nothing else!!!

Actually it's over 300K, so when you said $200K I wasn't sure if you were talking about something else.

"Exactly!" wasn't an answer, as what I quoted didn't contain a question. It was an exclamation that I agreed with the statement. Ha Ha, even when I agree with someone they want to turn it into an argument.

Simple, you made a statement that "No president or CEO is worth the money they are being paid, and there should be no extra compensation when one leaves, or retires." I disagree, and was illustrating just how absurd that statement was by inserting a union truck driver into your scenario. That should hwe have toave made it clear just how biased, and broad sweeping your statement was.[/QUOTE

Is that the best you can do? You knew you want to be exact from now on ok. You won't like it . You are nothing more than a keyboard coward to me. Hence the ex prefix. I can see where you would be jealous of those drivers capable of retaining the jobs in your former local. Now Post your proof if your statements about Roys departure and the rules he must follow now. EX--PERT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the best you can do? You knew you want to be exact from now on ok. You won't like it . You are nothing more than a keyboard coward to me. Hence the ex prefix. I can see where you would be jealous of those drivers capable of retaining the jobs in your former local. Now Post your proof if your statements about Roys departure and the rules he must follow now. EX--PERT.

No, but I thought it was the best you could handle. Apparently I over estimated you.

I wasn't the one that claimed Sagle had already been compensated for his 3 years of non-compete in his original contract.

No, but I thought it was the best you could handle. Apparently I over estimated you.

I wasn't the one that claimed Sagle had already been compensated for his 3 years of non-compete in his original contract.
If you want the truth I didn't either. But if you want to press the issue he was paid for a no disclosure Claus if there was one in his previous contract as President and CEO of abf. You don't even work here but yet you know so much. Troublemaker is what you are and you found the right guy for your spanking.What subject would you like to start with? You just start and I will join right in.

That's what I thought just a loudmouth on a keyboard...A WANNA BE...

Since you seem to know everything why don't you produce some proof.

Y'all read way too much into everything ;)

The man gave 37 years to ABF and is now "retiring" on less than 30% of his previous salary. If you folks were retiring on 30%, had to sign a non-disclosure agreement as well as a non-compete clause, while still being expected to attend an occasional conference call you would be livid with the terrible pension.

Show us the proof he had to sign a non-disclosure agreement as well as a non-compete clause, while still being expected to attend an occasional conference call you would be livid with the terrible pension

When you "retire" you can have 52 weeks vacation per year if you want. He's getting something less than that. ;)

Another BS Statement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EX396 View Post It's not so much that I defending an executive as I am pointing out the insistent nature of complaints about all things management and how if the tables were turned (30%) many would be livid about the "crappy pension".
I will trade Retirement packages with him if he is not happy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EX396 View Post You do realize there are a fair amount of truck drivers who may not even have a high school diploma collecting wages that put them in the top 10% of income earners in the US.

Show us the Proof.

Quote Originally Posted by EX396 View Post Whatever strategic / competitive plans ArcBest has laid out for the next 3 years it is best if the competition learns of those plans after they've been implemented. You are binding him to non-compete (can't go work for a competitor) and confidentiality (can't divulge non-public information) agreements. You are going to have to compensate him for his inability to use the skills and knowledge he has acquired to produce an income.
The non-disclosure and non-compete agreements are what gives ArcBest recourse. It does not matter what others might be willing to pay.

Show us the Proof.

While they may be more common at all employment levels in a different industry, they are much more common at executive / officer level positions at numerous companies, regardless of industry. The more non-public information you are privy to, the more likely you would be asked to make some type of agreement.

As to post employment, that is often negotiated upon your departure when your current employer doesn't want you to take the skills, knowledge, and/or information you have to your next job and compete against them. If you are going to render me unemployable for a period of time that is going to cost you some money.

Show us where he has not already been compensated

I disagree!!! IMO There usually is a confidentially protection included in every contract protecting the company’s best interest. When it comes to a high level Executive that would have access to very sensitive information, Company’s include and expect high level of integrity and discretion. THIS IS ALL PART OF THEIR PAY PACKAGE!!! You can bet ARCBest is not going to leave themselves unprotected, in the result of a disgruntled employee.

No president or CEO is worth the money they are being paid, and there should be no extra compensation when one leaves, or retires. This is all part of their pay package while holding their position … Giving Roy Slagle receiving $27,000 a month and ARCBest calling it a consultation fee is a joke (they already take care of their own). This is an insult and should **** off every single employee who took concessions, and loss of vacations while watching upper management receive Pay raises, bonuses, stock options, and other forms of compensation.

If Mr. Slagle was worried that his golden parachute wasn't enough he should have just stayed working. If he was fired then throw him out without any form of compensation.
Mr. Slagle is responsible for our current contract... THEIR WISH LIST WAS GRANTED WITH HELP FROM TEAMSTER NEGOTIATORS AND ABF TEAMSTERS!!! ARCBest AND ABF RECEIVED EVERYTHING THEY WANTED AND MORE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EX396 View Post Of course I disagree. I could say the same about any union truck driver, we'd both disagree with each other.

The only thing you proved was your arrogance!!!

Since you are claiming he was not compensated Provide links and proof

If you want the truth I didn't either. But if you want to press the issue he was paid for a no disclosure Claus if there was one in his previous contract as President and CEO of abf. You don't even work here but yet you know so much. Troublemaker is what you are and you found the right guy for your spanking.What subject would you like to start with? You just start and I will join right in.

Cant wait for this b.s I mean answer....

It appears that he chose to not answer the question. He is too busy blowing smoke in an attempt to further cloud the original topic............. I may be way off base here but the wording and style of his posts are somewhat familiar to me. I can't place him yet but I think we have dealt with him before under a different user name. The way he toys with us using his subtle mister nice guy but anti union and pro management style reminds me of someone who used to post on here. I really do think we know this guy.

It appears that he chose to not answer the question. He is too busy blowing smoke in an attempt to further cloud the original topic............. I may be way off base here but the wording and style of his posts are somewhat familiar to me. I can't place him yet but I think we have dealt with him before under a different user name. The way he toys with us using his subtle mister nice guy but anti union and pro management style reminds me of someone who used to post on here. I really do think we know this guy.
Anything is possible.... its all good hes a union basher,for that reason he has immunity on every board....

Sometimes when a idiot speaks he sounds like the others that we have heard speak in the past. When they have no proof they just try to start trouble. I have written him off as such. Just look at the prefix EX in his name. He was cast out of a union job and he is now bitter. YOUR GLAD EX BROTHER ALWAYS!

Hes a nobody. He posts all over the site as a complete know-it-all. If he was half as smart as he thinks he is, he would be too busy to be here bashing unions and the working man. I agree with Muler. He was either voted out of a union position or was blown out in his attempt to be elected in the first place. Or he was one of those members who relied heavily on the union and ****ed up too big for the union to get him his job back and now thinks its the union's fault he is unemployed. Either way he is nothing but a **** salesman with a mouth full of samples.