XPO | Rumor Mill: It's going again!

If we were " pro " posters this would be the part where we blast everyone for spreading misinformation and demand they get educated because they are all a bunch of liars and so on.
I don't doubt that any of this isn't accurate. Drivecam serves a purpose. It was originally offered as a coaching tool, although the company always had plans to use it for discipline and terminations. There's a very small minority of drivers in every barn who would probably be better off in another profession. However, attempting to punish the rest of us for an occasional minor infraction is abusing the system, especially when some receive preferential treatment.

However, attempting to punish the rest of us for an occasional minor infraction is abusing the system, especially when some receive preferential treatment.

Define "punish" and "occasional" as it relates to DriveCam, please. Somehow I suspect that my definition and yours aren't going to line up.

Define "punish" and "occasional" as it relates to DriveCam, please. Somehow I suspect that my definition and yours aren't going to line up.
I'll bet they will. I'm talking about things like following 3.75 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you. Rolling past a stop sign at 1 mph to get s better view of cross traffic. Undoing a seat belt to back into a dock. All of these and more can get you points. And now that that the camera can be used for discipline and not coaching, they can also get you fired. If they like you, they probably won't pursue termination. However, if they don't...Adios amigo. They can handle it any way they want and that's why we need representation.

I'll bet they will. I'm talking about things like following 3.75 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you. Rolling past a stop sign at 1 mph to get s better view of cross traffic. Undoing a seat belt to back into a dock. All of these and more can get you points. And now that that the camera can be used for discipline and not coaching, they can also get you fired. If they like you, they probably won't pursue termination. However, if they don't...Adios amigo. They can handle it any way they want and that's why we need representation.
Hollywoodz , didn't you say earlier that you would not respond to Serene Gene when he quotes you partially and out of context? Not seeking to instigate , just wondering if you had a change of heart and if so , why?

That's like reading the employee handbook online and seeing all the actions that use progressive discipline....then seeing the part where it's stated they don't even have to follow that and can use any step in the progressive discipline they want at any time including termination. It also states that the entire policy book has no effect on the "at will" status for employees and management. Sweet. Why even write the da** thing then?

Hollywoodz , didn't you say earlier that you would not respond to Serene Gene when he quotes you partially and out of context? Not seeking to instigate , just wondering if you had a change of heart and if so , why?
I have had a change of heart. I'm thinking every post deserves a reply. If people choose to post in any particular style, I am never at a loss for words.

I'm talking about things like following 3.75 seconds behind the vehicle in front of you. Rolling past a stop sign at 1 mph to get s better view of cross traffic. Undoing a seat belt to back into a dock. All of these and more can get you points.

They always have had scores. As far as I know, the new phone policy is the only offense that is directly tied to discipline. How many people do you know that have been fired for any of the things that you mentioned, and more importantly, how many "points" did they have?

They can handle it any way they want and that's why we need representation.

That's interesting, because it looks like you want representation so that you don't have to back off a second or two, follow the law regarding stop signs, or learn how to back up with a seatbelt on. Is it really that hard?

They always have had scores. As far as I know, the new phone policy is the only offense that is directly tied to discipline. How many people do you know that have been fired for any of the things that you mentioned, and more importantly, how many "points" did they have?

That's interesting, because it looks like you want representation so that you don't have to back off a second or two, follow the law regarding stop signs, or learn how to back up with a seatbelt on. Is it really that hard?
That statement is why he needs representation. Having your statements about representation misrepresented by one who represents the corporate interests causes one to seek representation from a third party who represents its own interests as well as yours. Have fun unraveling that

Point is, that we can't really account for a quarter of a second, especially in areas of heavy traffic with folks bobbing and weaving in and out constantly.
When the cameras were installed, we were told that videos would be used for coaching only...not discipline. That changed quickly, not just with the termination possibly with phone use.

Point is, that we can't really account for a quarter of a second, especially in areas of heavy traffic with folks bobbing and weaving in and out constantly.
When the cameras were installed, we were told that videos would be used for coaching only...not discipline. That changed quickly, not just with the termination possibly with phone use.
They did say it would not be used in discipline but you had to know that they would use it at some point as such.

That was conway when xpo bought us all the rules changed. Like I said before they let a senior driver rebid after 7 days because he made a mistake new xpo policy read the Manuel for xpo a lot has changed. Use it or lose it for example started this

Answer to Part 1...nobody...YET. But, it's coming.
Answer to Part 2...please be serious in future posts.

Sure, I would agree. So why not back off a second or two more instead of riding the very edge of acceptable? Give yourself a little buffer, so to speak.

When the cameras were installed, we were told that videos would be used for coaching only...not discipline.

Yeah, but I think there was an assumption (a very naive one) that drivers would stop doing those things. If you refuse to stop following below the minimum, or for a stop sign, how long are they supposed to ignore that?

Answer to Part 1...nobody...YET. But, it's coming.

I think you're guessing, without any rational basis for it. It's just a good line to use for organizing because no one likes the cameras.

Answer to Part 2...please be serious in future posts.

I am serious. You guys spend all this time and energy fighting off the stereotype that the union protects slackers, only to come in here complaining about how unfair it is to be held to the very lowest bar of professional driving by standards that have been around since Con-way. You're undercutting your own message when you do that.

I think you're guessing, without any rational basis for it. It's just a good line to use for organizing because no one likes the cameras.

I am serious. You guys spend all this time and energy fighting off the stereotype that the union protects slackers, only to come in here complaining about how unfair it is to be held to the very lowest bar of professional driving by standards that have been around since Con-way. You're undercutting your own message when you do that.
Pro-Union guys, I gotta go with Gene on this one. Someone in the past has mentioned IBEW and here is what I know about them. Their training program is second to none, from apprentice to journeyman. They pride themselves on being the best and most knowledgable in the business and I believe they are. They command a high wage in return for top of the line workmanship. Can the same be said about Teamster drivers?

Pro-Union guys, I gotta go with Gene on this one. Someone in the past has mentioned IBEW and here is what I know about them. Their training program is second to none, from apprentice to journeyman. They pride themselves on being the best and most knowledgable in the business and I believe they are. They command a high wage in return for top of the line workmanship. Can the same be said about Teamster drivers?
I brought up the electricians in example only to show the difference in compensation from a union shop vs a non union and how the owner of the non union business pockets the majority of the profit. There is no doubt the training in the electricians guild is far Superior that of the non union shops. Its a mark of quality.
Now as to the Teamsters I am not aware of any training program that is administered by the Teamsters ,that does not mean that it may not exists somewhere. I think quality driver exist on both the union and non union side. I will gone on to say and use UPS as an example( particularly package) hold and attract a higher level of driver due to their superior pay and benefits package. The opposite is the case at XPO where we can't hold or attract new employees.

Last edited:
Sure, I would agree. So why not back off a second or two more instead of riding the very edge of acceptable? Give yourself a little buffer, so to speak.
We are a location of mass traffic with horrific drivers. On some major streets, it's most impossible to keep a 4 second interval.
Other drivers are waiting to cut you off.
I have been "coached" very few times since this program started in comparison to others, but I'm always outta the metropolitan area and don't experience the conditions that others do.

Yeah, but I think there was an assumption (a very naive one) that drivers would stop doing those things. If you refuse to stop following below the minimum, or for a stop sign, how long are they supposed to ignore that?
You have a way of twisting things beyond my meaning. So, let me try to be clear on this topic. If a driver exhibits reckless behavior behind the wheel, consistently, I actually agree that he should be disciplined and if the behavior may lead to property damage or injuries or loss of life, termination is acceptable. However, I am concerned that the company can use this technology to discipline drivers whom they dislike for whatever reason; especially union supporters. Can you say with any degree of honesty that you have never exhibited behavior that would have you in the office had the camera been recording at the time? Being a dedicated driver, when I'm handed 13 stops at noon, I move as efficiently as I can to try to get them all done.Sometimes, that means being a bit less safe than I would normally and that camera may result in my receiving discipline for trying to do my job. In any event, representation will make certain that the camera is used properly and not as a tool to destroy an otherwise good drivers career.