Estes | rumor thread

Being from the cities fedestes, you should hear it first. I had the personell change pretty much in mind the way you described, but the compitition sure is up in arms about it. Was in KCK and STL both this week, and at both places was approached by a driver from 2 different competitors, and asked about the purchase. Rumors travel far and fast.

rjjr - You've probably heard the joke before - telephone, telegraph, tell a road driver ... One of our hub drivers heard that rumor again last night, and that 138 was going union! Me personally, I'd quit driving before joining the 'brotherhood'. They have nothing to offer me that I don't already have here. Have a good weekend!

I hear we are getting 3 large accounts in Jan. Might explain why they are still hiring

I would be more comfortable if we had a couple more big national accounts besides Home Depot. Too many eggs in one basket.

Not sure what our HD freight percentage is now but from what I've observed, there doesn't seem to be as much as several months ago. Think they're trying to diversify the freight mix. Some p+d drivers told me a lot more of their HD deliveries now are to distribution centers. Not sure if that's better than store deliveries.

I've heard that too, but it doesn't seem much different up here yet. The KCY driver I used to meet mentioned more work for the city guys feeding the local DC, but we don't have one around here. The number I remember hearing was around 30% at it's peak, but I'm sure they noticed in Richmond when the economy hit HD. From what I've seen in my whole 2.5 years here, it seems like a carefully run company overall. My biggest fear is that they sell or take the company public.

I would be more comfortable if we had a couple more big national accounts besides Home Depot. Too many eggs in one basket.
I remember when we gave up HD because they wanted us to haul their freight for free. These other guys tried it andfound out later that a profit needs to be made to survive. We would survive without HD. We've done it before. Not much profit in any freight anymore but our job is to keep the customer happy. Its amazing what these companies go through every day just to keep the customer happy. I am thankful for working for a family outfit rather than one of those guys ran by wall street but I would have probably sold the company years ago. My biggest worry would be a tsunami right now.

I keep hearing that there's still too much capacity in the system to bring the rates back up. I think a lot of people assumed YRC would have been done by now, but that's a whole other story. Should be an interesting couple of weeks as this last concession vote gets counted.

mildew - Just to clarify something, I have no reason to believe the Estes family would sell or take the company public, but past experience has put the fear into me. As you stated, my concern is and should be my customers, both internal and external, not the gains of a bunch of outside shareholders who could care less about the employees. I repeatedly heard from former FedEx coworkers that the previous family owned companies (AF and Watkins) were more employee friendly while still being successful. It was FedEx's F*** you, we'll-just-replace-you mentality that brought me to Estes.

I keep hearing that there's still too much capacity in the system to bring the rates back up. I think a lot of people assumed YRC would have been done by now, but that's a whole other story. Should be an interesting couple of weeks as this last concession vote gets counted.

mildew - Just to clarify something, I have no reason to believe the Estes family would sell or take the company public, but past experience has put the fear into me. As you stated, my concern is and should be my customers, both internal and external, not the gains of a bunch of outside shareholders who could care less about the employees. I repeatedly heard from former FedEx coworkers that the previous family owned companies (AF and Watkins) were more employee friendly while still being successful. It was FedEx's F*** you, we'll-just-replace-you mentality that brought me to Estes.
You made a good choice coming here. I don't think Rob will sell. I don't know much about fdx but I hate to see familys wrecked over greed. Yrc has been through so many aches and pains and their drivers are still some of the best I know even with all that's going on. Anyone can tell they've been at it a while with their unselfish attitude on the highways. Another paycut may be the best choice for them. No one really knows when they are bluffing about option B.

You made a good choice coming here. I don't think Rob will sell. I don't know much about fdx but I hate to see familys wrecked over greed. Yrc has been through so many aches and pains and their drivers are still some of the best I know even with all that's going on. Anyone can tell they've been at it a while with their unselfish attitude on the highways. Another paycut may be the best choice for them. No one really knows when they are bluffing about option B.
I appreciate your comments Mildew. If there is no plan B, Estes would be at the top of my list for future employment. I don't know how they handle former Teamsters though. Might be a waste of my time to apply, but I may have plenty of time.

I appreciate your comments Mildew. If there is no plan B, Estes would be at the top of my list for future employment. I don't know how they handle former Teamsters though. Might be a waste of my time to apply, but I may have plenty of time.

They've been hiring former teamsters. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. I know an ex teamster that runs the road for us wearing his teamster jacket from time to time. I wish the best for you guys.

We have 2 former YRC guys at my yard. Don't think the teamster thing is that big of a deal, but rather how far down the layoff list you are. If you convince them that there is no chance of EVER being recalled to your former employer the chances of being hired greatly increase. Its not that they don't want you, its that they don't want to lose you back to your former job. Both these guys I know are good reliable drivers and a great addition to Estes.

who still looks at the teamsters as a threat ?????? just saying ..( sorry Mildew i had to say it to bring some unwanted vistors your way. lol. ) happy modding

who still looks at the teamsters as a threat ?????? just saying ..( sorry Mildew i had to say it to bring some unwanted vistors your way. lol. ) happy modding
We have an new ex upsf driver sitting on our bench. I imagine if their was any threat they would have skipped over him and hired one of those 100,000 of other drivers that applied. I appriciate your help anyhow BB but their doesn't seem to be too many that disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have at least 3 former teamster drivers and management from different union companies. Qualified is qualified and IF yrc shuts down, the remaining carriers will need more drivers, dockworkers, mechanics, customer service.....and it's not like the driver pool is growing.

it may be that way now but i know for a fact from the former asst. tm at 29 whom i'm friends with, that wayne y, used to drop any apps from former union guys right in the waste basket.

Too bad. He may have let some good candidates get away. Probably had a bad experience with the U in the past.

it may be that way now but i know for a fact from the former asst. tm at 29 whom i'm friends with, that wayne y, used to drop any apps from former union guys right in the waste basket.

I'm sure we have some TM's that way. I know of 1. Most will hire based on experience and your interview. Driving record doesn't have to be spotless but it helps. They shut the 29 terminal down in 2001 because they were trying to organize. That probably has alot to do with the tossing of the apps. I would imagine the brand new TM at 14 would do the same
:poster_oops:

I'm sure we have some TM's that way. I know of 1. Most will hire based on experience and your interview. Driving record doesn't have to be spotless but it helps. They shut the 29 terminal down in 2001 because they were trying to organize. That probably has alot to do with the tossing of the apps. I would imagine the brand new TM at 14 would do the same
:poster_oops:

i don't know where you got your info but i worked at 29 from 93-2000. they didn't then and never have shut 29 down. i have friends still there. that have been with estesover 20 years since they came to baltimore and used to rent a terminal in laural, then moved to curtis bay and now their present location. 29 is still up and running. always has been.

Well not completely shut down but left with the remaining skeleton crew. Kind of the way they did at 014. I thought it was common knowledge. I may be wrong but I've heard the same story from hundreds of different employees including TM's. It was brought up here a few times in the past. It may all be a rumor but everyone has the same story. Wayne turning up his nose at teamsters was the icing on the cake for me.