FedEx Freight | Seniority

serta said:
Amen to being home shortly. I though you guys did mainly 95% swaps?
Yes, out here we have some long shifts. Depends on your bid. Some bids run four or more drops per night with delay at each drop.
The guys and gals running Donner might chain up twice or thrice a night (only twice now with the hard 14 hour rule). But I am curious, 95% swaps? You mean turn meets? In Sac we have 110 line drivers one of whom does a turn and meet run.

hey Hairbear,
Did you see Pocketchanges post!!! There is the dead horse you wanted, only someone else got to use it first! no fair:biglaugh:

For all those in the East who feel they were royaly screwed by the way the seniority system was used, I have a suggestion. If you feel so strongly that you are correct, prove it. Hire an attorney and take your issue to court or to the NLRB.
So far I don't see any of you putting your money where your mouth, or keyboard is.
When you do that maybe you will get some respect from the vast majority of us who simply like it the way it is and feel that you are not only beating a dead horse you are then whining that the damned thing is dead and won't respond.:smilie_132:

hairbear said:
Nope, 99% of our drivers are layover drivers. Read the rule. One 16 hr day per week does not apply to us.
wow, I thought you guys did turns and meets for the most part. Atleast that is what everyone,non fed ex people, tell me.

serta said:
wow, I thought you guys did turns and meets for the most part. Atleast that is what everyone,non fed ex people, tell me.
The east runs mostly meet and turns, in St Louis everything is turns except like 8 Atlanta lay downs, they do 2 lays and 1 meet and turn each week.

FM

turns

Familyman said:
The east runs mostly meet and turns, in St Louis everything is turns except like 8 Atlanta lay downs, they do 2 lays and 1 meet and turn each week.

FM
Has it always been like that or did you guys go from lay downs to meet and turns.

I have a question dont laugh but if they can run a meet and turn 1 time a week for the guy to get home on sat why cant you run a meet and turn everyday? I have never gotten that but ?

Familyman said:

FM
Ahh, ok, that makes sense :duh: since I'm in the east and keep hearing that. Work down the road from your pocono terminal.

Santaclause said:
I have a question dont laugh but if they can run a meet and turn 1 time a week for the guy to get home on sat why cant you run a meet and turn everyday? I have never gotten that but ?

I wondered the same thing, the answer I got was that the ATL drivers would have to run through Chattanooga and Nashville both on the way there and back, and during the week would get caught by to much traffic.

I guess they can manage the traffic 1 day a week, lol.

FM

kool said:
Has it always been like that or did you guys go from lay downs to meet and turns.
They did away with most laydowns about 8-9 years ago, like 1996-7, that's also about when I started here so someone else would have to give you more info.

Before that I think they ran alot like you guys do now.

FM

I keep hearing about the runs called "laydowns" and "meet & turns", what is that? Oh, yeah, I remember! that is what real drives got to do. Those of us at the small centers get to go and work dock all night at the hub. I almost forgot what a real driver get to do! :chairshot:

:moped:

ETexSanta said:
I keep hearing about the runs called "laydowns" and "meet & turns", what is that? Oh, yeah, I remember! that is what real drives got to do. Those of us at the small centers get to go and work dock all night at the hub. I almost forgot what a real driver get to do! :chairshot:

Actually they have been adding some long daytime runs to a few small centers around here, who knows maybe you'll get lucky.

FM

Did you say small center....or end of the line center.....we are at a end of the line center, supporting no less than 4 other centers that via through here! (someone Nightly) Small center...I guess we are also, only 85 people work here...I always felt like I got more rest on a laydown run, but it would be hard to go back to one I think.....TRUCK SAFE

Santaclause :1036316054:

There is a real good reason for having layover runs and not having turn runs 5 days a week.
1) on a meet run, if one truck breaks down, you don't only have one truck being late with the freight, but then you have 4 trailers late.
2) With layover runs you could also have 3/3 or 3/2 runs, and then you could move the freight seven days a week.
Motels are cheaper than paying a lot of delay pay on meet runs if you can't seal trailers at designated seal times.

:smilie_132:

Santaclause :1036316054:

There is a real good reason for having layover runs and not having turn runs 5 days a week.
1) on a meet run, if one truck breaks down, you don't only have one truck being late with the freight, but then you have 4 trailers late.
2) With layover runs you could also have 3/3 or 3/2 runs, and then you could move the freight seven days a week.
Motels are cheaper than paying a lot of delay pay on meet runs if you can't seal trailers at designated seal times.

(1)Break downs?....Without facts here I don't think we have that many breakdowns in the east
(2)We don't work seven days a week over here in the east and the freight moves like it should
(3)Motels are not cheaper than the average breakdown....Motels cost lets say $75.00 each per day that is $150.00 for the two now on a break down one side will do a lunch and give the standard wait time on a meet before they start getting paid so doing some math 1 driver gets 3 hrs and 1 gets say 4hrs = 7hrsX20 per hr is $140.00.....rarely a driver gets paid for four hrs breakdown around here. also a driver can extend and get the freigth from a brokedown driver. Also how is being late on a seal 1 or 2 hrs going to pay for a hotel for 2 drivers????
(4) SEAL TIMES????....
(5) Meet and turns do work REAL GOOD on the east side
(6) I have also wondered why we do a 2and2 and a meet?
I know change is a hard thing
Just my thoughts......TRUCK SAFE

(1)Break downs?....Without facts here I don't think we have that many breakdowns in the east
(2)We don't work seven days a week over here in the east and the freight moves like it should
(3)Motels are not cheaper than the average breakdown....Motels cost lets say $75.00 each per day that is $150.00 for the two now on a break down one side will do a lunch and give the standard wait time on a meet before they start getting paid so doing some math 1 driver gets 3 hrs and 1 gets say 4hrs = 7hrsX20 per hr is $140.00.....rarely a driver gets paid for four hrs breakdown around here. also a driver can extend and get the freigth from a brokedown driver. Also how is being late on a seal 1 or 2 hrs going to pay for a hotel for 2 drivers????
(4) SEAL TIMES????....
(5) Meet and turns do work REAL GOOD on the east side
(6) I have also wondered why we do a 2and2 and a meet?
I know change is a hard thing
Just my thoughts......TRUCK SAFE

slackdragon :1036316054:

Sounds like you have not stayed in a Motel in awhile. The price FedEx pays is half of what you quoted.
What is the standard wait time??????
What is this of doing lunch for free??????
We get paid delay pay from the time the 1st driver gets to a meet and the second driver gets actual time. Who takes time for lunch???
We can eat lunch and chew gum all at the same time. Even listen to the XM radio all at the same time.

slackdragon :1036316054:

Sounds like you have not stayed in a Motel in awhile. The price FedEx pays is half of what you quoted.

When I was on a laydown last time FedEx paid about $31.50 for the room. Daytime is off peak time for a hotel and they will take much less for a room when they usually have them all empty during the day.

The nice part was though that my parents lived about 20 miles from the terminal and many time I would just bobtail to their house and stay there and wake up with Mom's home cooking to get me going.

I think I gained about 15 pounds on that bid. :hysterical:

roog