FedEx Freight | "Significant number" of straight trucks coming to FXFE

Not sure where it is, but it seems no matter what class CDL the driver has now a days,there seems to be a steady flow of inexperienced people driving these vehicles that lack common sense.....
Not the same bridge. If you type "can opener bridge" on YouTube you'll see the one I was thinking of. I like the shark.

Our center is adding a significant amount of these trucks right now so it is happening. Currently they are being staffed by our driver pool but down the road who knows.

Correct, freight levels rise and dip just like the stock market...it's the nature of almost everything in general...

Your questions are speculative which requires speculative answers since none of us can tell the future.

Certainly, driver apprentices that will move into a CDL role, that's the way it's worked for sometime. Perhaps being at a former EOL center you weren't aware of this??

Again, I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill...having a bunch of non-CDL drivers on hand won't help when the freight levels rise, thus they become a liability...requiring every driver to be Class A provides the flexibility to adjust to the rise and dips of the markets.

Yes, I could be totally off base but I will stand by my position.

Of course my questions are speculative and perhaps provocative even. They are questions that should be considered prior to diving in head first, don't you think? There are many more questions that would require research to answer.. Factors that should carry some weight in formulating policy.

While this move will have little or no effect on me, and even less effect on you, it is looking like an industry trend. It will have an effect on those just entering the industry, those near the bottom, and those trying to manage additional classes of equipment and/or drivers. It's certainly best to get it right going in, thus avoiding turmoil.

You do get credit for standing by your position. We'll see how it unfolds.:popcorn:

68sbKSE.jpg

Come on man I looked on Google earth and even though I couldn't see the height on that underpass I thought I could fit my 53 foot trailer under it. Lmao To bad that don't give these guys common sense test before they hire them.

Don't anyone wake up "Twice Pipes". If he finds out that FxF is buying myriad straight trucks, he'll come out of retirement and massive layoffs will occur. He always rocked the truck rodeo in a straight truck despite being a road driver.

ST

Of course my questions are speculative and perhaps provocative even. They are questions that should be considered prior to diving in head first, don't you think? There are many more questions that would require research to answer.. Factors that should carry some weight in formulating policy.

While this move will have little or no effect on me, and even less effect on you, it is looking like an industry trend. It will have an effect on those just entering the industry, those near the bottom, and those trying to manage additional classes of equipment and/or drivers. It's certainly best to get it right going in, thus avoiding turmoil.

You do get credit for standing by your position. We'll see how it unfolds.:popcorn:
What's your point? You can give feedback and even make suggestions but the last time I checked, policy making wasn't part of your job description.

Correct, it will probably have no effect on me but could effect every city driver in the system at some point which is why requiring every driver to possess a class A CDL makes the most sense...turmoil avoided.

We'll all have to sit back and wait...

What's your point? You can give feedback and even make suggestions but the last time I checked, policy making wasn't part of your job description

Correct, it will probably have no effect on me but could effect every city driver.

Can't you just go into the SCM's office and deal with this directly? :2437:

Ol' Red just made the case of why you need representation. Fact is, this will be a new class of driver with lesser skills and lower pay.

These trucks will be used to cut down on routes saving the company overhead. You best believe these trucks will run before a typical CDL A driver. Think of it as farming out work in house.

Last edited:
1st off, it's not a question of if, but when freight levels dip. It's the nature of LTL, and trucking in general.

If you pay close attention, I've been asking questions up until now, rather than speculating on what will happen.

You are on the record saying it's "smarter" to just continue hiring Class A drivers
. Are you aware that FXFE is still looking for driver apprentices, at many locations? Not just for city, but occasionally road too? Does this not indicate a challenge in staffing?

Now, if we must speculate... Straight truck usage looks like a trend in the industry. Fred Smith confirmed this publicly as it applies to FXFE. Adding, we'll do so "in a big way".

Looking at several factors, am I the only one willing to connect the dots? With a challenging Class A driver market AND the integration of Class B, C or non-CDL equipment, the dots seem to connect themselves.

Do you really think "significant numbers" of Class-A qualified drivers will be driving something like this, on a regular basis?

ALXsYI9.jpg

We are hearing non CDL drivers are driving these, starting around $17/hr.. Anyone want to verify this?

Red? Do you still stand by your position?

Checkmate. This post says it all. :1036316054::smiliewhs:

What's your point? You can give feedback and even make suggestions but the last time I checked, policy making wasn't part of your job description.

Correct, it will probably have no effect on me but could effect every city driver in the system at some point which is why requiring every driver to possess a class A CDL makes the most sense...turmoil avoided.

We'll all have to sit back and wait...

Funny, but no, I'm not making policy... Nor am I doing the deep research that will drive the policy. I'm just taking what little we KNOW and speculating on where it will lead. Predicting, you might say. Even you seem to have found it interesting enough to participate in the conversation.

I think we'll have a better idea when we see what exactly what equipment is going to be purchased, and in what numbers. If these 24' straight trucks turn out to be class B units, you might be correct is there being no additional class of drivers hired. I doubt it. A lot will depend on the definition of "significant numbers".

On the other hand, if you see non CDL trucks, in mass, then you can most certainly expect non CDL drivers to be driving many of them. Class C is also a possibility, in order to cover the hazmat part of the equation.

Too many benefits to ignore, as previously noted. Driver shortage eased, wage pressure reduced, easier stepping stones for the dock to driver program, and ultimately the bottom line. Again, this is not merely a FedEx thing. It's an industry thing.

I do find your position contrary and inconsistent with your past positions. You've never before advocated for the Company paying more than necessary. In this case you say it's smarter to pay significant numbers of Class A drivers to drive something like this:
ALXsYI9.jpg

You have connections, Red. Ask around and see what exactly is being purchase... That will provide insight. :smilie93c peelout:

Funny, but no, I'm not making policy... Nor am I doing the deep research that will drive the policy. I'm just taking what little we KNOW and speculating on where it will lead. Predicting, you might say. Even you seem to have found it interesting enough to participate in the conversation.

I think we'll have a better idea when we see what exactly what equipment is going to be purchased, and in what numbers. If these 24' straight trucks turn out to be class B units, you might be correct is there being no additional class of drivers hired. I doubt it. A lot will depend on the definition of "significant numbers".

On the other hand, if you see non CDL trucks, in mass, then you can most certainly expect non CDL drivers to be driving many of them. Class C is also a possibility, in order to cover the hazmat part of the equation.

Too many benefits to ignore, as previously noted. Driver shortage eased, wage pressure reduced, easier stepping stones for the dock to driver program, and ultimately the bottom line. Again, this is not merely a FedEx thing. It's an industry thing.

I do find your position contrary and inconsistent with your past positions. You've never before advocated for the Company paying more than necessary. In this case you say it's smarter to pay significant numbers of Class A drivers to drive something like this:
ALXsYI9.jpg

You have connections, Red. Ask around and see what exactly is being purchase... That will provide insight. :smilie93c peelout:
I doubt it very much any company will purchase straight trucks requiring a class A CDL...A single axle box truck can't hardly get up to 26,000lbs. gross weight.

I doubt it very much any company will purchase straight trucks requiring a class A CDL...A single axle box truck can't hardly get up to 26,000lbs. gross weight.

Like Swamp said, most can't hire enough drivers now. They aren't going to continue to ask for a Commercial drivers license for smaller trucks.

Can't you just go into the SCM's office and deal with this directly? :2437:

Ol' Red just made the case of why you need representation. Fact is, this will be a new class of driver with lesser skills and lower pay.

These trucks will be used to cut down on routes saving the company overhead. You best believe these trucks will run before a typical CDL A driver. Think of it as farming out work in house.
After your experience with local 71 how can you honestly say we need representation from those imbeciles? Remember after tomorrow you and Crazy Trucker are through on Truckingboards so get your posting done now. Lmao

After your experience with local 71 how can you honestly say we need representation from those imbeciles? Remember after tomorrow you and Crazy Trucker are through on Truckingboards so get your posting done now. Lmao

I had to decide to take you off of ignore to see if you were asking out of the bet. Of course I see you're still like a school in the summertime; no class.

Well we'll we'll If it isn't dumbo the red shirt clown. I see your enjoying your last few hours on here, after tomorrow you can Google a new forum. :clappy: