XPO | Sub service moving LTL

quite a few on the west coast...i drive one.

for your info there are 2 sleepers in new orleans as we compute

Thanksfor the info. I didn't know that. Haven't seen any in years. How 'bout this, next time either of you are in a meeting with a big wig, ask them how come we dont utilize the sleeper trucks with a team. Let's us know what they say. Then tell them that they could, virtually, eliminate any and all damaged freight by using our safestack pups. The costs would balance out.

Hmm.... linehaul guys do 40-70 (appox) a week and get the same per mile/hour no matter how many hours. *gasp* NO OVERTIME!!

If you do, then let me know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanksfor the info. I didn't know that. Haven't seen any in years. How 'bout this, next time either of you are in a meeting with a big wig, ask them how come we dont utilize the sleeper trucks with a team. Let's us know what they say. Then tell them that they could, virtually, eliminate any and all damaged freight by using our safestack pups. The costs would balance out.

i know of one team, its a 12.5 hr return sleeper run from Medford, Oregon to Sacramento CA..

In CCX land we had Extended Service Lanes running out of our terminal but the runs were eliminated because the salesforce couldn't keep enough freight on the lanes to justify the cost.

Besides Old Dominion , what are our competitors doing? Are other nationwide LTLs using Over-The-Road carriers to move freight more than Con-Way? Less? Not at all? ( I read the other threads and see that other carriers are loosing linehaul runs to OTR companies )

We have our own truckload carrier - Why not have all subservice in house? ( I've been told that we have so much subservice that there is no way Con-Way Truckload could handle it all )

Ive heard UPS freight uses alot of con-way truckload to run their freight..aint that something.

Ive seen Covenant dragging estes sets.

OD runs all their freight i think.

Fedex F runs some of theirs on the trains

It is probably better that Truckload hauls other peoples freight, that way they are making money from the other companies.

If we have Truckload hauling our freight, we are just paying ourselves by having them haul it.

In a perfect world we would haul our freight (no sub-standard service) and Truckload hauls other carriers freight!

It is probably better that Truckload hauls other peoples freight, that way they are making money from the other companies.

If we have Truckload hauling our freight, we are just paying ourselves by having them haul it.

In a perfect world we would haul our freight (no sub-standard service) and Truckload hauls other carriers freight!
Isn't it better to pay ourselves than to pay another company?

Isn't it better to pay ourselves than to pay another company?
The word is that the other carriers will haul the freight cheaper than we would charge ourselves thus freeing up our truckload equipment to haul other freight at a higher rate .A win, win for Conway’s moneymakers.

The word is that the other carriers will haul the freight cheaper than we would charge ourselves thus freeing up our truckload equipment to haul other freight at a higher rate .A win, win for Conway’s moneymakers.
Good point. It leads back to subservice being cheaper than in-house linehaul. What do you get for the extra money? If you are a linehaul driver be prepared to answer why you earn $0.30 - $0.40 more on average per mile than a subservice contractor. I'm not trying to be mean - if some executive can increase their yearly bonus by moving freight cheaper , guess what's going to happen in the future....

Ive heard UPS freight uses alot of con-way truckload to run their freight..aint that something.

Good point. It leads back to subservice being cheaper than in-house linehaul. What do you get for the extra money? If you are a linehaul driver be prepared to answer why you earn $0.30 - $0.40 more on average per mile than a subservice contractor. I'm not trying to be mean - if some executive can increase their yearly bonus by moving freight cheaper , guess what's going to happen in the future....

this is why I will do this job, and continue to earn credentials in other areas/earn more diplomas..the gravy train will come to an end very soon. CEO's must cringe at paying a linehaul driver 50-60c per mile when they can get a crst trainee to run it for 20c..

That's right why let us work when you can have someone who barely has a basic grasp of the English language much less any concern for those silly DOT rules. This place wouldn't know safety or integrity if it jumped up and sucked their hog. Just my theory based on years of extensive research.

hit a new low today...got a van in from XAU, 2 bills going to same customer, 20000 lbs, we swung it into a pup and showed our SCM....LMFAO, that is all that was on this van....
ELIMINATING THEM EMPTY MILES BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is why I will do this job, and continue to earn credentials in other areas/earn more diplomas..the gravy train will come to an end very soon. CEO's must cringe at paying a linehaul driver 50-60c per mile when they can get a crst trainee to run it for 20c..
And if they have an accident...it doesn't count against this company. Nobody knows it's conway..a ++ all the way around

d
I do believe that truckload only hauls drop shipments for UPS parcel, not UPS freight. That would be a bit of a conflict, especially since CFI used to haul a lot of Fedex Freight sub-service until they became truckload.

And if they have an accident...it doesn't count against this company. Nobody knows it's conway..a ++ all the way around

Yeah A++ all the way around, especially for the guys that sit home without a run because it got put on the longbox. Or for the guys who would love to run linehaul, but can't and might never get the chance.