XPO | Sub service moving LTL

Where is it going?

In 20 years will will just download whatever we need. Like Star Trek. Tell a computer you need something and it creates one for you right there. They already have replicators that produce edible meat. What will you need a truck for ? Everything will be sent on the information highway.

In 20 years will will just download whatever we need. Like Star Trek. Tell a computer you need something and it creates one for you right there. They already have replicators that produce edible meat. What will you need a truck for ? Everything will be sent on the information highway.
Sounds good. One problem though- you can't make something out of nothing. You need raw materials. And don't forget the actual equipment . Will the replicators just pop up in a persons house? Future threats to driving jobs come in the form of automation /navigation. Check the CES this past week. The technology exists for self driving vehicles but the regulatory hurdles are HUGE. And the public wouldn't feel comfortable at this point with cars and trucks rolling around with no people at the wheel.
When our handhelds were rolled out I asked about a backup in case of a problem and I was told there was NO NEED - they won't fail. Sure.

Sounds good. One problem though- you can't make something out of nothing. You need raw materials. And don't forget the actual equipment . Will the replicators just pop up in a persons house? Future threats to driving jobs come in the form of automation /navigation. Check the CES this past week. The technology exists for self driving vehicles but the regulatory hurdles are HUGE. And the public wouldn't feel comfortable at this point with cars and trucks rolling around with no people at the wheel.
When our handhelds were rolled out I asked about a backup in case of a problem and I was told there was NO NEED - they won't fail. Sure.

One way or another. If you think you will be working here driving a truck in 20 years, you just ain't paying attention.

The only threat to our driving jobs comes from within. Self driving vehicles is great fodder for sci-fi discussions but I'm much more concerned about Greg L's last quarterly update, you know "the right freight in the right lanes for the right price"? They're still gunning for a certain carrier with an identity crisis. If they can drive the cost down on long haul freight that they can move for a song on the purchase wagons, drive the price for regional freight up higher that they don't have to move much of it with their biggest cost liability (us) then we will be relegated to a cartage operation and oh how the money will roll in! I just hope I have enough seniority built up when it comes to fruition that I can last the influx of line drivers to the city.

One way or another. If you think you will be working here driving a truck in 20 years, you just ain't paying attention.

Is the sky falling?

No, the world is changing. We alreay have electron distribution. We call them power lines. We have photon distribution. In your high speed internet service. Similar lines can be run to deliver protons and neutrons. Allowing for direct access to fully automated replicators. It's not that far away. These things already exist. Just not in the general public.

No, the world is changing. We alreay have electron distribution. We call them power lines. We have photon distribution. In your high speed internet service. Similar lines can be run to deliver protons and neutrons. Allowing for direct access to fully automated replicators. It's not that far away. These things already exist. Just not in the general public.

So what sort of job should I think of doing in this brave new world? I don't think there is any safer job than driving a truck except for being a cop,firefighter,or teacher. When I say safer I mean secure. Those jobs are impossible to outsource except I guess for truckers coming up from the south of the border. Hopefully that never happens. What to do to make a living in these modern times.

Couple ltu drivers were dispatched to Kansas City on Thursday , these guys were about 80 miles into there trips and were contacted on there cell phones ... the scm informed these drivers to turn around and return to tulsa, after they returned to the dock there loads were back stripped onto sub service vans . These two guys were then informed that work was a little slow so go ahead and punch out for the day ! Our runs out of ltu are shrinking every day and we are seeing more and more vans show up . If Conway continues to load all the vans... We are all going to be working city p&d !

Couple ltu drivers were dispatched to Kansas City on Thursday , these guys were about 80 miles into there trips and were contacted on there cell phones ... the scm informed these drivers to turn around and return to tulsa, after they returned to the dock there loads were back stripped onto sub service vans . These two guys were then informed that work was a little slow so go ahead and punch out for the day ! Our runs out of ltu are shrinking every day and we are seeing more and more vans show up . If Conway continues to load all the vans... We are all going to be working city p&d !
Damn. In the middle of a run? That's crazy.What would they do if the driver didn't answer?

Exactly why I don't answer after I roll out of the gate. Fuk em!

This is the first time I seen this happen here , but I'll bet it will continue for the unlucky drivers that answers there phone !

That's right fuk em ... I'm tired of this outtfit trying to take food off my table so the boss can get his big ass bonus ....!

Thank the Lord for hazmat!!! Most of those subservice drivers are either too stupid to pass the test or are so dirty they cannot pass the background check. Hazmat loads are 99% our loads.

Thank the Lord for hazmat!!! Most of those subservice drivers are either too stupid to pass the test or are so dirty they cannot pass the background check. Hazmat loads are 99% our loads.
What if Conway loses there DOT hazmat license due to improper handling? Then what are we gonna do?