R&L | Taking over their freight

Customers are going for us for the EXCELLENT SERVIVE...We won't haul it, and not make money

When shippers can find a trucking company to haul their stuff basically free once in a while, they will....R&L does not play this game...

Fed Ex Freight was in a place taking some of our freight,at a regular customer, undercuttinig us the other day, they are the ones cutting rates big time...

They were taking 6 oversize skids, that weighed 9000 lbs of large type bob cat type equipment, that took up nearly half of a 48 ft trailer. The freight was going from tennesse to New York, they were hauling it for $300.00.

Of course we didn't try to beat this riduculous price, if Fed ex wants to take a loss, we will let them do it all day long...:clap:

Customers are going for us for the EXCELLENT SERVIVE...We won't haul it, and not make money

When shippers can find a trucking company to haul their stuff basically free once in a while, they will....R&L does not play this game...

Fed Ex Freight was in a place taking some of our freight,at a regular customer, undercuttinig us the other day, they are the ones cutting rates big time...

They were taking 6 oversize skids, that weighed 9000 lbs of large type bob cat type equipment, that took up nearly half of a 48 ft trailer. The freight was going from tennesse to New York, they were hauling it for $300.00.

Of course we didn't try to beat this riduculous price, if Fed ex wants to take a loss, we will let them do it all day long...:clap:

Ouch....$300....WOW

I'm not a manager,I'm a driver. It is common knowlage that our trucks have been turned back up,I'm sure that one of us has passed you. The speed limit around here is 70 so how is 68 mph something a lawyer might want to know. We are probably moving more freight that anyone right now,so we need to clear the dock and make room for more to come in. It's called capitalism,check into it.

trucks turned back up????not team trucks.still at 68,which is fine with me.things happen too fast at hogher speeds.was never comfortable pulling pups real fast.

I'm not a manager,I'm a driver. It is common knowlage that our trucks have been turned back up,I'm sure that one of us has passed you. The speed limit around here is 70 so how is 68 mph something a lawyer might want to know. We are probably moving more freight that anyone right now,so we need to clear the dock and make room for more to come in. It's called capitalism,check into it.

More than any one, really more than anyone congratulations.

The only trouble with turning the trucks back to 68 ( or whatever ) is that some people don't know how to go the speed limit if it's below the top speed of that truck. Guess we'll be seeing those R&L left lane cruisers that never move over again !

2 trucks leave at the same time one runs 65 the other 70, he might beat him by 20-30 mintues.

2 trucks are heading up the highway.The one at 70 mph has no problems with slow traffic because he can pass them.The one at 65 cant pass slow traffic and cant stay behind slow traffic without slowing more and killing any momentum he had.This is the reason we are happy about the trucks getting turned back up in the northeast anyway.

I don't know where you got your information but I guarantee fedex freight is not going to loose money by shipping freight for free. They raised their shipping rates early in 2009. That is why they laid off workers because the company was not going to cut rates just to get freight and haul it for free. From what I have heard it is saia, estes, and r+l that haul the cheaper freight. Fedex is the one that does not play that game of hauling freight for free or junk freight.

I think you all could agree that every carrier, at one time or another, takes low paying or cheap freight, just to cover the costs so as to move equipment from one area that may have a large influx of outbound freight but no inbound freight. Got to move equipment to those locations, so might as well move it with freight, even if it only pays for expenses. Better then dragging an empty, burning fuel and paying the driver.

I think you all could agree that every carrier, at one time or another, takes low paying or cheap freight, just to cover the costs so as to move equipment from one area that may have a large influx of outbound freight but no inbound freight. Got to move equipment to those locations, so might as well move it with freight, even if it only pays for expenses. Better then dragging an empty, burning fuel and paying the driver.
Well put it's better to have something paying a little in the box then have nothing in there on the same trip. No carrier wants to run empty miles it's just a way to help the bottom line. The Empty miles is another reason so many carriers are using o/o now so they don't have to cut rates.

I don't know where you got your information but I guarantee fedex freight is not going to loose money by shipping freight for free. They raised their shipping rates early in 2009. That is why they laid off workers because the company was not going to cut rates just to get freight and haul it for free. From what I have heard it is saia, estes, and r+l that haul the cheaper freight. Fedex is the one that does not play that game of hauling freight for free or junk freight.

It is not always about making money companies want market share and sometimes they put that above shorterm profits, especially in these economic situations.

The companies that have a business model of "were going to make 30% profit on every piece of freight we move" are the ones going out of business, I know that fedex has taken some accounts from us and the sales manager told me we were not making money on those accounts and fedex cut our rates, guess what 2 weeks later we cut fedex's rate and got the freight back.

The goal for the major players in the ltl world is to put the competition out of business by whatever means necessary right now with the economy down the size of the pie we all split up in the ltl industry has shrunk all companies are making less money and trying to just keep the doors open until the economy rebounds.

When companies start hauling freight for cost and sometimes below cost they lose money but the company that they took the freight from loses money also and if they don't lower there prices they will lose more and more freight as prices keep getting undercut and will eventually run out of money.

Take YRC for example there running out of money but if other ltl companies keep cutting there quotes yrc will either have to cut there price (and make less money) or let the freight go (and make less money) there not in a position to go around and cut other companies prices either way it does not look good for them they do not have the cash reserves to play this rate cut game.

Right now it is about how much of the market you can grab and see how many other companies can be put out of business, there are 2 freight companies that are leading this race to the bottom and both of them have other revenue streams.

Good morning,

We manage all of the line haul for R&L Carriers nationwide and are always looking for carriers to get onboard.

Everything is no touch terminal dock to terminal dock.

If you have enough trailers, some carriers will have empty trailers staged at our terminals for drop and hook runs.

You must have at least a 10 truck fleet that are haz-mat teams.

Please e-mail me for more info.

Thank you for your time,
Sean Steinberg
Paramount Transportation Logistics Services, LLC.
Direct: 239-337-6432
Fax: 937-655-5379
Paramount Logistics -
7290 College Pkwy.
Suite 200
Fort Myers, FL 33907

Good morning,

We manage all of the line haul for R&L Carriers nationwide and are always looking for carriers to get onboard.

Everything is no touch terminal dock to terminal dock.

If you have enough trailers, some carriers will have empty trailers staged at our terminals for drop and hook runs.

You must have at least a 10 truck fleet that are haz-mat teams.

Please e-mail me for more info.

Thank you for your time,
Sean Steinberg
Paramount Transportation Logistics Services, LLC.
Direct: 239-337-6432
Fax: 937-655-5379
Paramount Logistics -
7290 College Pkwy.
Suite 200
Fort Myers, FL 33907
yes but why are these parmount owner operators taking away from the very drivers(linehaul, teams) that helped build this company . i don't have a problem with hiring on o/o but when you have drivers that have been on there run , same run for 6 or 8 years and you take it away to give to an o/o that has been here 2 weeks makes no sence to me and yes it is happening ask around. so with that said if you can advertise on here i guess i can advertise my wifes yard sale right. no harm intended:Off-Topic:

Yrc has taken two companies and made one just a little larger than one of them and workers have taken a pay cut. Sales people are hitting the street again and will be able to compete.

This particular shipper writes down the freight charges on the BOL...That is where I got my information, from the shipper!!!I didn't say they were going to lose money hauling this freight, but they sure aren't going to make much on this shipment!!!:clap:As far as junk freight, I have seen plenty of it on Fed-Ex trailers!!!:Flame-On:

yes but why are these parmount owner operators taking away from the very drivers(linehaul, teams) that helped build this company . i don't have a problem with hiring on o/o but when you have drivers that have been on there run , same run for 6 or 8 years and you take it away to give to an o/o that has been here 2 weeks makes no sence to me and yes it is happening ask around. so with that said if you can advertise on here i guess i can advertise my wifes yard sale right. no harm intended:Off-Topic:
I agree, don't see this as "taking care" of the employee's..... "Pride in our people" yea right!!!!

This particular shipper writes down the freight charges on the BOL...That is where I got my information, from the shipper!!!I didn't say they were going to lose money hauling this freight, but they sure aren't going to make much on this shipment!!!:clap:As far as junk freight, I have seen plenty of it on Fed-Ex trailers!!!:Flame-On:

Then that shipper wrote either your rate or someone elses rate on the FedEx shipping document. They have always sold service, not price and that is well known. However word is they plan on pinching some carriers coming up and things could definetly get interesting then with a few LTL carriers that cannot provide the service standards Freight has thru out it's entire system.

can't make money with a 85% discount. R&L's President worked for YRC and is trying to take revenge for yrc firing him. This could destroy R&L. I hope this does not happen