TForce | Teamsters in GVL

dont appologize, how many union drivers do you see doing abything extra, even if they wanted to. Stick to your quota, no more no less, or you'll have a grievence filed against you. Either for doing something someone else could have done, or from someone afraid if you do more then eventually the company will want more from everyone. I can still remember the CF and NW drivers sitting in a fuel stop for hours on end because they wernt schedueled in yet.

I apologized for being mean spirited. But I do believe that the union protects the undesirables when they should be fired.

To be fair I'm sure the teamsters also protect some that are just not liked by the TM or supervisors that just want to get rid of them. In the real whole I think that does happen.

Or a little accident one driver might get a hand slap and another driver might get fired.

You see in theory I'm not against the union. In principal I think they should of made some changes to compete with other carriers and become a whole lot more flexible.

I don't think it will kill a driver to cross over and do what needs to be done for the good of the company. Not file a grievance because he has to do a little something different. Or maybe even a little harder work.

I just mean that for the ones that feel that way. I know there are a lot of hard working and caring teamsters.

So don't take only the negative out of what I am how ever badly trying to say.:1036316054:

dont appologize, how many union drivers do you see doing abything extra, even if they wanted to. Stick to your quota, no more no less, or you'll have a grievence filed against you. Either for doing something someone else could have done, or from someone afraid if you do more then eventually the company will want more from everyone. I can still remember the CF and NW drivers sitting in a fuel stop for hours on end because they wernt schedueled in yet.

Someday my freind you will come out of the stone age with your assumptions about folks who work under a Union contract I hope. This is an old subject that always gets hauled out to generalize who the Union worker is and it is worn way beyond it time. If you spend any time around a Union operation, any of them you will find drivers and workers doing what needs to be done to get the job complete, but they are not stepping on someone elses toes to get that work done either.
Theres a job for everyone and everyone has a job to do...........

Someday my freind you will come out of the stone age with your assumptions about folks who work under a Union contract I hope. This is an old subject that always gets hauled out to generalize who the Union worker is and it is worn way beyond it time. If you spend any time around a Union operation, any of them you will find drivers and workers doing what needs to be done to get the job complete, but they are not stepping on someone elses toes to get that work done either.
Theres a job for everyone and everyone has a job to do...........

No my Friend I have come out of the stone age. You see I have worked under the teamsters contract and have my withdraw card. It is you that is stuck in the stone age.

hmmmmmmm, i wish i knew where this magic "quota" is!! i work at abf, and i see hardworking people humping nightly... its not about being teamster or not, its about having pride in your performance, and we have that at my barn, thank you!

hmmmmmmm, i wish i knew where this magic "quota" is!! i work at abf, and i see hardworking people humping nightly... its not about being teamster or not, its about having pride in your performance, and we have that at my barn, thank you!

Like I've said I've been on both sides of the fence. Both sides had good hard working people. But the union protects the non producer more than they should. I stand by that statement.

Like I've said I've been on both sides of the fence. Both sides had good hard working people. But the union protects the non producer more than they should. I stand by that statement.

So because someone is 55 yrs old and can't hump freight like they did when they were 25 they should be fired, is that what your saying?

I to have worked on both sides of that fence.

I'll take Union everytime.

No matter who you work for Union or Non there are bad apples in every bunch.

So because someone is 55 yrs old and can't hump freight like they did when they were 25 they should be fired, is that what your saying?

I to have worked on both sides of that fence.

I'll take Union everytime.

No matter who you work for Union or Non there are bad apples in every bunch.

I believe I said all that. Read a little closer to your computer. I'm over 55 and I work better than I did at 25. I guess experience has something to do with it.

Most drivers by the time they reach 55 have got a lot more experience and have learned to work smarter.

Again I am not talking about them I'm talking about the bad apples you just mentioned.

I have never had the fear of losing my job without the union. I have never felt more secure about keeping my job because I was union at one time.

I and I alone make that decision. Like I have said in the past. In the almost 25 years I've been with Overnite I have never seen anyone get fired that didn't fire themselves.

In other words they were giving every chance but didn't take it.

So scare tactics don't work anymore. If the majority of UPSF decides to go union it will be because UPS didn't change some things that even I believe they should have.

However, If we are union I will still go in to work every day and do my job. I will probably get paid for down time and wait time without giving the first hour. Or four hours for bad weather.

Like I've said if we go union it will be because of what UPS doesn't do. Not anything that is done or said here.:1036316054:

dont appologize, how many union drivers do you see doing abything extra, even if they wanted to. Stick to your quota, no more no less, or you'll have a grievence filed against you.

galaxy99dx, I'm afraid you have been given some wrong information or are uneducated about the union.

There is no such thing as a quota or someone having a grievance filed against them for doing too much work.

You need to understand that Teamsters freight members are just like you. We go to work and bust our butts just like you do. The only difference is the color on the trucks and the representation we have backing us.

Laziness is not a union quality. It's a human quality. I've seen just as many hard working union members as I've seen lazy non union people.

I suggest you spend a little time getting to know some union people and I'm sure you'll realize we're just like you.

galaxy99dx, I'm afraid you have been given some wrong information or are uneducated about the union.

There is no such thing as a quota or someone having a grievance filed against them for doing too much work.

You need to understand that Teamsters freight members are just like you. We go to work and bust our butts just like you do. The only difference is the color on the trucks and the representation we have backing us.

Laziness is not a union quality. It's a human quality. I've seen just as many hard working union members as I've seen lazy non union people.

I suggest you spend a little time getting to know some union people and I'm sure you'll realize we're just like you.

Thanks CFer, That's the way I feel about it. Just must have explained myself poorly.:smilie_132:

UPS has been union for years they have the hardest and safest drivers. I don"t think UPS keeps lazy and unsafe workers. Most of them work harder than any Overnite driver. Union or not UPS can and will get rid of poor workers. Nice try

UPS has been union for years they have the hardest and safest drivers. I don"t think UPS keeps lazy and unsafe workers. Most of them work harder than any Overnite driver. Union or not UPS can and will get rid of poor workers. Nice try

I think so!!!!! And Cfer pretty much summed it up......

skull, Who are you responding to and what do you mean by nice try???

I am responding to the people who think because we become union we will be able to be lazy and worthless just because we've got union backing. Ups can still get rid of us if we don't produce safely and productively. There's a light at the end of the cave!

Unions protect against wrongful terminations.
Being non-union the protection I have is the mercy of God when I pray,and ask for it,in Jesus name.

But when your a union member,and your company wants you off their books unless theres a very good reason you can grieve it.
Then your union rep.,will review the issue.
The next step is to look at the language in the contract regarding the issue in question.
If theres any violation of the contract on the part of your company,you'll be sticking around if the company likes it or not.

Thats what a contract does for the members that are paying dues,to be protected from unfair labor practises.

I am responding to the people who think because we become union we will be able to be lazy and worthless just because we've got union backing. Ups can still get rid of us if we don't produce safely and productively. There's a light at the end of the cave!

I agree!!!

I never said lazy or worthless, I said "quota", meaning by contract you cant be MADE to do more than a certain amount, no matter what the supervisor says, if you DO do that, then some of your fellow workers are going to be pissed at you because you are demonstrating that the company can expect more. I said grievence because of personal experience through a family member. He was working at a job site and the equiptment he was working on suddenly quit, on looking it over he noticed some wiring had come loose, so he reattached them, made sure they were tight, and continued on. The electrician on site filed a grievence because he did work that should have gone to the electrician. It didnt matter that the electrician was fixing something else and probably wouldnt have gotten to it untill the next morning. Thats the crap I dont want to see. I also dont want to see the pension fiasco the teamsters had some years ago. And I dont want my dues going to pay for political causes I dont agree on.

So thats all I have to say on the matter, someone is either for or against. If you voice a dissenting opinion to a supporter your "in the stone age". Neither side of an issue like this will ever see eye to eye. But were still in the same company, so , "hey hows it going?" if i see you on the road.

So thats all I have to say on the matter, someone is either for or against. If you voice a dissenting opinion to a supporter your "in the stone age". Neither side of an issue like this will ever see eye to eye. But were still in the same company, so , "hey hows it going?" if i see you on the road.

And you know what Galaxy, I will be the first to flash my lights, walk up to you with a hand extended, and tell you "Welcome to the family"!

As far as the "stone age" comment; I somtimes get a little sensitive trying to debuke stuff like that since in my 36 years of Union work that has always been the thought of some that if you are a union worker you are somehow a lazy person. There a couple of these types where I pull out of and they get away with alot of baloney, mainly because they know how to hide it from the boss, not the fact that the Union protects them. I just sat on a termination case where the driver was documented stealing time from UPS and there was nothing the Teamsters could do for this guy; he was guilty as all get out. When we were done the Union BA told him "Go find something else to do with your life cause you are an embarrasement to all of us here". This was after he had been given numerous chances by the company to rectify the problem and had gone throught the suspension process also.

We do weed out the bad apples, sometimes it just takes awhile...........

Ups isn't ther only co. that has work standards written in to their contracts as a matterof fact most Companies that employ teamsters have work rules and standards such as minimiun and maximium run times set mileages and work ethics that are lined out through the contract. All one has to do is get a copy of the National Master Freight agreement and they will see how those standards are outlined.

I never said lazy or worthless, I said "quota", meaning by contract you cant be MADE to do more than a certain amount, no matter what the supervisor says,

You are still incorrect galaxy. There is no such thing as a quota or a contractual limit to the amount of work we can do. The only limits we face or time and resources just like you do.