Yellow | Teamsters it's time to retire!

And before the next idiot responds to this, Please be able to explain to me how men and women making 35 and 40k a year or less, manage to retire before you do. The words CANT and RICH are intertwined in your alzheimer's mind. I'm absolutely fine with men getting in there 30 and 35 years or even further to reach 62. If your over that then maybe alzheimer's would be considered a blessing considering that you could occasionally forget all the people you screwed over.

I guess its time to bring back this thread.The only teamsters left with jobs are the old timers who refuse to retire and make room for those on lay-off,what gives,never cultivated a life outside of work.I've heard most of the excuses, and they are just that,excuses.Time to turn in the paperwork.

You may be in serious debt, but it makes no sense to me to stick around any longer if you have your 30 years in. If you don't get 13 payments in they could adjust your payment plus they may not be around in 13 payments. Either way if you stick around or leave you are screwed if they go down. I'd take my chances and get out and try to recieve 13 payments. The condition of the pension isn't getting any better.

I may decide to work til I'm 80 with 50 years in the pension. Or I may not. Either way it is none of your business., I don't owe you a thing.

Spoken like a true MEEEEEEster. Looking out for number one. Don't worry though...Karma is a b*tch and you won't come close to seeing 80.

You may be in serious debt, but it makes no sense to me to stick around any longer if you have your 30 years in. If you don't get 13 payments in they could adjust your payment plus they may not be around in 13 payments. Either way if you stick around or leave you are screwed if they go down. I'd take my chances and get out and try to recieve 13 payments. The condition of the pension isn't getting any better.

Insurance is extremely expensive, I know that's a huge factor in many people's decision to stay or leave.

If YRC is allowed to defer pension payments, look for Central States to raise retirement age, like they did when CF closed. No retirement before age 62 or worse. And there was no advance warning prior to. Now is the time to go if you can.

Detroit's Marty Peters Delivers 60 Years of Service to UPS
Business Wire , Feb 27, 2006

DETROIT -- When Marty Peters pulls on his brown uniform in the pre-dawn hours on March 7 and reports for his regular 3:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. shift at UPS (NYSE: UPS), he'll pass a service milestone exceeded only by the company's founder -- 60 years of non-stop service.

Detroit's Marty Peters Delivers 60 Years of Service to UPS | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET

Those of you at YRC who want some of these old timers to retire as soon as they can should read this article from 2006 to see an extreme example of a guy who, IMHO, should get a hobby. I respect his achievement and his work ethic, but I still think it's sad to work that long!

as a young teamster who has been layed off after walking a picket line for 5 months i can see where you winers are coming from hell at my barn some of the senior guys crossed the picket line . bottom line is we are freight haulers not financial wizards i am only doing ok because i took the time too listen to the oldtimers funny thing is that most of them have gone through what were going through strike lines layoffs injury leaves on and on and on so i put money away when times were good and networked with other trucking outfits for when i might need to find work when times were not so good so here i am now not makin the kind of money that i am used to but still able to get by picked up a job (unfortunately nonunion but hey not so many teamster driving jobs left nowadays)driving for a carrier that i had never heard of and i am kinda likin it when the economy picks up i hope to either go back to my teamster job or find a new teamster job but i would be in a big mess with a angry wife and a couple of hungry kids if i hadnt paid attention to the guys that put in their time befor me sorry about the rambeling it is just my style p.s when i get to my retirement age i will probably have to work an extra 4 years just to make up for what i have lost during this strike as my goals had to change with the times hard luck has a way of finding everyone in the middle class

One word.....BULLSHIT!

you can call b.s all you want but most old timers talk to the younger guys coming in to the freight industry the only problem is only a small percentage listen you know about the same amount who will actually show up at a union meeting the most consistent thing i was told was that the freight industry is feast or famine earn it while you can save it for when you cant it has worked out well for me kinda like my own personal strike fund . my only hope is that i can save up that amount again for when the next economic down turn comes . p.s it is never too late to listen to the guys that have been around the industry for 20 or more years.

Having 18 yrs paid in and only being 39 yrs old I want all you "old timers" to work till you drop so that I can get at least some of the pension I have earned. On the other hand, I have worked at three different union companies to get that time and have never witnessed so much greed as I have seen at this place ! I can only hope that when I am 73 years old I can find something better to do than run 3600 miles a week and claim that I do it "because I can". At least back off a bit so some junior guys can make some too. We all took an oath to "never knowingly harm a fellow member". Taking all you can because you can IS hurting other people if they are not able to work. Ease up...drop a trip. Think about someone other than yourself.