TForce | Tell me WHY

Some of you still have the wrong impression I guess. I was union for 6 years before I came to Overnite. I'm not anti union....i'm anti crappy contract. If they present us with acontract that makes sense i'll be leading the charge to sign. If it's crappy i'll be leading the charge to retreat. I would love to be union again but ONLY UNDER A GOOD CONTRACT !!!!!

Then please tell me what a good contract would be and what is so wrong with the Indy deal. That might clarify things for us and maybe help us.

As for the Indy deal, it's not finished. They're ironing out certain things and the actual contract will be revised. What we've seen so far isn't the finished product.

you sign to get representation, then they go get you the best contract they can that you vote on. if enough vote no on a "crappy" contract you send them back to the table. You can expect a crappy one if only 51% want one in the first place...ol buddy...copy???

You don't pay much attention. I haven't ripped on anyone except when attacked. All I have done is claim that those who are hell bent on signing without considering the negatives are not very bright. If you feel you have explored all avenues and still want to sign then powerto you. I just don't want people to get roped into a bad contract just because they think union=good and company=bad. Why do you guys on here have such a fear of someone just asking you to take a moment to think ? Those of you that are gunh ho for a contract are the 1st ones here to point fingers and call names. You're like little school children. I am waiting until my local produces a contract and if it's good i'll sign. If it sucks i'll walk. Why do you have a problem with that? That's the way everyone should treat this. The contract should stand on it'sown merits not on some fantasy of being union no matter what.

You say too us that most who are hell bent for a contract is not very bright , with that being said ,you are doing what you say you are not doing, and I did not see UPGF ripping into you. Am I calling you names now? and most of your comments is on someone doing something for you, when in actuality, in our contract, if you want something you have too bring it too the table first, do you not, or are you getting everything on a silver platter.

Your argument is holding no water here, I am sorry too say, you are asking us too rethink our motives based on the fact that you get along with your TM.`You say you are a union man but you discourage most in your comments, this is not being unbiast and holding a mature debate. Tell us in a mature way just what exactly we are not seeing here, and maybe you will get the best of us as opposed too us ripping into you, thus far the name calling is all I have seen in your posts, and is nothing more then a prescription for the same in return.

I read a lot of getting a better contract. I am all for that. The thing that does concern me is we have to be united as one. Not a contract that expires on a certain date in Indy & another date in Harrisburg etc. That would make for a total disaster. NEMF has a terminal by terminal contract & if 1 terminal strikes they simply run around that terminal starving them out. We need an end date that is 100% united.

Solidarity

At This Point, You All Should Not Believe Anything At All That Upsf Tells You. You All Better Stick Together On This Organization Campaign Because Believe Me, Ups Will Fight Every Aspect Of Your Contract. Your'e Right, You All Should Settle For Nothing Less Than The Nmfa !! Good Luck And Happy Holidays. :1036316054:

I read a lot of getting a better contract. I am all for that. The thing that does concern me is we have to be united as one. Not a contract that expires on a certain date in Indy & another date in Harrisburg etc. That would make for a total disaster. NEMF has a terminal by terminal contract & if 1 terminal strikes they simply run around that terminal starving them out. We need an end date that is 100% united.

That is going to be done. All contracts will expire on 7-31-2013, small as parcel.:1036316054:

On one of these threads someone said that Indy had a no strike clause in their contract.

INDIONAPOLIS does have an end date in the contract...........

Evidentally our local isn't at all happy with the contract. They only keep in contact with 1 of our dock workers. They ignore the rest of us thus far. Anyhow, according to him he was contacted by our business agent in regards to his questioning why we aren't hearing anything. He was told that they aren't ready to approach us with the contract yet as they are very unhappy with it. They claimed it would screw the NMFA members on their upcoming contract and that wasn't acceptable. They said they were pursuing avenues to change the contract and they would be back in contact with him when they had some news.... Evidentally our local has the same problems with the contract that myself and others do. I knew I wasn't the only one who wasn't happy with the terms.

I welcome the men and women at UPSF into the Teamsters. The reality regarding the contract negotiated at Indy is this will not only be the standard for any other UPSF barns but will become the standard for the rest of the Unionized carriers including NMFA companies. This is not in any way the fault of those new members in Indy but the fault of Hoffa and Hall. They should not have even brought the proposal to vote.

There are those who will vehemently disagree and defend Hoffa and Hall. To you I say, UPSF with it's affiliation to UPS is the largest and most profitable player in the transportation industry. It is without doubt that YRCW will be demanding the same flexibility as far as work rules and will be demanding that wages and benefits be brought in line with their biggest competitor. YRCW's argument and basis for that argument will have validity. Question; how do the NMFA companies remain competitive with the biggest dog in the fight when Hoffa and Hall hand UPS this deal that is grossly substandard to the NMFA.

I have read on this board that it is a great thing that UPSF is organized and that is a first contract and first contracts often are not what everyone thinks they should be. I will agree that it a great thing to have organized UPSF but let it be clear this first contract is not with some small or start up company it is with a giant in the industry that has more than enough capital to pay NMFA wage and benefit rates. Hoffa and Hall should have simply pushed the little yellow book we call the National Master Freight Agreement across the table and demanded no less for the members at UPSF and moreover for the members currently under the NMFA. History will remember this as the one of the biggest sellouts of all time

Easy Metalhead, You are making some strong statments !!! I hope you didnt say that all of the NMFA companys are going to adopt the Indy contract and a national standard. I cant see any of those road drivers working the dock and making pick-up's and deleveries, and letting the city drivers run the road when freight is slow or any of the driving jobs. And to think that they will have to pay for insurance ... ... ... Not to mention some of the real old hand giving up 1 or 2 weeks vacation ... ... Sir I think you just stired up a hornets nest. You might cause 251 and some others to have a coranary. I cant wait to see where this is going. Go back and read the first post in this thread. Thats why I started this thread. Not only are the NMFA guys going to be pissed Watch the package boys cry also when they see the freight truck over hooking up and pulling packages.

slo, I detect and appreciate some friendly sarcasm. The objective in organizing UPSF, in my mind, should have been to bring those workers up to the level enjoyed by NMFA covered workers not create a situation where YRCW can make a legitimate argument for concessions. I hope I am stirring up something, preferably thought provoking discussions, parody at the highest level and Unity across the industry. I did read yor first post and was trying to elaborate on what I believe was the point you were making. I maybe should have stated the Indy contract could potentially became the new standard as opposed to stating it as an inevitability. Happy Holidays.

slo, I detect and appreciate some friendly sarcasm. The objective in organizing UPSF, in my mind, should have been to bring those workers up to the level enjoyed by NMFA covered workers not create a situation where YRCW can make a legitimate argument for concessions. I hope I am stirring up something, preferably thought provoking discussions, parody at the highest level and Unity across the industry. I did read yor first post and was trying to elaborate on what I believe was the point you were making. I maybe should have stated the Indy contract could potentially became the new standard as opposed to stating it as an inevitability. Happy Holidays.

My friend We are on the same page . I think back to something that my grandfather used to say and he lived to be 91 years old. And its olny 3 words HASTE MAKES WASTE. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Are you trying to say that if you employees under the NMFA, get a bad deal next negotiation it will somehow be UPSF's fault?

We have nothing to do with your company or the NMFA. If you get a substandard contract, it will be the result of of no one but your company and whoever is negotiating your contract.

I welcome the men and women at UPSF into the Teamsters. The reality regarding the contract negotiated at Indy is this will not only be the standard for any other UPSF barns but will become the standard for the rest of the Unionized carriers including NMFA companies. This is not in any way the fault of those new members in Indy but the fault of Hoffa and Ken Hall. They should not have even brought the proposal to vote.

There are those who will vehemently disagree and defend Hoffa and Hall. To you I say, UPSF with it's affiliation to UPS is the largest and most profitable player in the transportation industry. It is without doubt that YRCW will be demanding the same flexibility as far as work rules and will be demanding that wages and benefits be brought in line with their biggest competitor. YRCW's argument and basis for that argument will have validity. Question; how do the NMFA companies remain competitive with the biggest dog in the fight when Hoffa and Hall hand UPS this deal that is grossly substandard to the NMFA.

I have read on this board that it is a great thing that UPSF is organized and that is a first contract and first contracts often are not what everyone thinks they should be. I will agree that it a great thing to have organized UPSF but let it be clear this first contract is not with some small or start up company it is with a giant in the industry that has more than enough capital to pay NMFA wage and benefit rates. Hoffa and Hall should have simply pushed the little yellow book we call the National Master Freight Agreement across the table and demanded no less for the members at UPSF and moreover for the members currently under the NMFA. History will remember this as the one of the biggest sellouts of all time

What a outstanding post. I agree with you 100% :1036316054: