FedEx Freight | The Big Picture

Not trying to do anything to you just wondering if you no longer work here and don't have a dog in this fight why do you care what we as fdx employees do as far as the union goes. I'm just wondering is all not gonna bash you as this is an open forum and everyone has a right to free speech or in this case free typing.

I don't really care,I jumped in originally just to offer some perspective about the union. There was a lot of insinuation about what the union would do and I just tried to shed a little light on the subject, that didn't turn out to be a popular idea because I didn't "tow the line" so to speak and that's not really welcome here.

If you don't work here anymore then we really don't care about your opinion.

I know you don't want me here because your a hypocrite, first of all there are several pro union guys that don't work for Fedex and never have and you love their opinion. Second you have payed no attention to anything I've said you have no idea how I feel about the situation and I don't care about your opinion either.

RC has been driving truck so long he thinks the term old fart means yesterday's passed gas. Of course he's a millionaire! He saves every spare penny and drives up the mountain in a blizzard. Both ways.

Break out the velvet thongs in RC's honor! I'll bring the antibacterial soap.

Ok I stand corrected in the region I work we are the second highest paid ltl.cnot sure what part of the country your in.

I don't really care,I jumped in originally just to offer some perspective about the union. There was a lot of insinuation about what the union would do and I just tried to shed a little light on the subject, that didn't turn out to be a popular idea because I didn't "tow the line" so to speak and that's not really welcome here.

I know you don't want me here because your a hypocrite, first of all there are several pro union guys that don't work for Fedex and never have and you love their opinion. Second you have payed no attention to anything I've said you have no idea how I feel about the situation and I don't care about your opinion either.
Ok I respect that, your giving your opinion. I'm still trying to get some questions answered because I don't like to make blind emotional decisions, to me right now from what I've been able to gather together I'm leaning very favourable to the union side of the scale. My biggest concern isn't the money tho with a contract that would come I'm sure, but mine is health care and some security from off the cuff firings. Actually not fired just suspended until further notice.

Ok I respect that, your giving your opinion. I'm still trying to get some questions answered because I don't like to make blind emotional decisions, to me right now from what I've been able to gather together I'm leaning very favourable to the union side of the scale. My biggest concern isn't the money tho with a contract that would come I'm sure, but mine is health care and some security from off the cuff firings. Actually not fired just suspended until further notice.

I would try to answer what I can if I can but most people on here don't want to hear anything except vote yes, (even though I've never said vote no) and the will go after you if you disagree.

... But upper management got a 4.17% raise this year. If we got the same amount, we would have gotten a $1.35 instead of $.80.

Check your math.....$32.37 is what you would have had to make prior to the raise in order for 4.17% increase to result in a $1.35.

I'm still trying to get some questions answered because I don't like to make blind emotional decision

You are way ahead of the curve.

droppingadeuce said:
My biggest concern isn't the money tho with a contract that would come I'm sure, but mine is health care and some security from off the cuff firings. Actually not fired just suspended until further notice.

If those two (health care costs and security) are your 2 largest concerns you just have to weigh two big positives against all the negatives and decide for yourself if having those 2 positives are enough to offset the negatives. If they are, then move forward with your yes. If they aren't, can you find those 2 positives somewhere else without the negatives, and if so, at what cost?

What unanswered questions do you still have?

Not including the garbage raises the past 4 years. We r way behind in pay

Right. I'm not trying to defend management. I just think that there are other factors to consider before I get all pro-union. The merger of National into the network forced a logistical and profit issue and the recession created problems as well. I'm not buying Bill Logue's video because we had seen the situation before he said anything. Maybe he was just trying to let the rest of them see what most of us have already seen. Namely, that as market share and profitability have increased, stability and long-term job prospects have also increased. Giving out a bunch of raises without also considering how that would affect long-term company stability would have been very irresponsible.

That doesn't seem to be an issue any longer so as far as the raises go, I'm going to hold my tongue. We're not making as much, per hour, as other locals. Our health care costs are rising. Supply and demand for drivers seems to be significantly on our side. If they don't address the situation then market forces will lead many of us out the door for higher-paying jobs. An exodus of drivers to competitors and/or an increasingly discontented workforce will hurt profits. They don't seem to be oblivious to market trends. That's what I think about that. The history of bankrupt trucking companies seems to have been dictated by poor financial management and, dare I say it, the unions. Oh I know they union guys might find that disconcerting but it is what it is. They do seem to do a pretty good of managing finances but I came from Central Transport so I guess I'm still glad not everyplace is like that. Why doesn't the union try to organize those guys? Or OD? Saia?

As far as the spurious firings on the whims of ****-poor management. That's an entirely different issue altogether. If drivers think it's us against them, that's not our fault. My experience is that every driver who's been fired at my barn had it coming. Not reporting accidents, too many accidents, failed drug tests, not showing up for work, workplace violence, things like that. I work at a bigger terminal where there are probably more checks and balances than the smaller ones. However, we've had some managers in here that would have fired me if they would have been the service center manager, so I sympathize with the fact that if they were in charge I would have been fired long ago. I looked at my personnel file and I had 4 write-ups that I had not even known about and a write-up for taking a day off when the manager said I could have it. One bad manager can ruin a good job so they just need to can those guys before they put them in charge. But it seems like they think we're more expendable than they are.

Your two biggest concerns will be solved with your first contract. At will employment ends day one. Your health care will improve day one. ExLax396 likes to tout the negatives, but he never gives any specifics.

Bill Gates is a generous man. However, I'd say that the competitive market and the knowledge and skills that the Microsoft employee brings to the table means he must in order to attract and retain the quality of employee he desires.

If FedEx operated at a 68% operating ratio I'm sure there would be more sharing of the wealth.

FedEx makes a profit of approximately $25,000 per year per employee.

Microsoft makes a profit of approximately $700,000 per year per employee.

Microsoft Corporation Net Income per Employee (MSFT), current and historic results, rankings and more, Quarterly Fundamentals - CSIMarket
The point is Bill Gates treats his employees as people not numbers and shows them respect . That thought would never cross Freddy's mind.

RC has been driving truck so long he thinks the term old fart means yesterday's passed gas. Of course he's a millionaire! He saves every spare penny and drives up the mountain in a blizzard. Both ways.

Break out the velvet thongs in RC's honor! I'll bring the antibacterial soap.

Quite an achievement for any body, A million dollars is a lot of money , even in Canadian money . Why rag on him? Jealousy?. RC can step away when he wants on his terms , can you say that? And before you ask no I didn't make a mil before I stepped away, but I did it on my terms. 2 pensions , SS and a crappy 401k . I'll survive

Quite an achievement for any body, A million dollars is a lot of money , even in Canadian money . Why rag on him? Jealousy?. RC can step away when he wants on his terms , can you say that? And before you ask no I didn't make a mil before I stepped away, but I did it on my terms. 2 pensions , SS and a crappy 401k . I'll survive
I was being incredibly sarcastic. I'm not jealous of anyone here because the situations are different. As for stepping away? I have no interest in doing so for a very long time yet. I have a profitable business relationship with a growing company. If, on the off chance I did decide to step away, I could hire a driver to drive my truck for me while I collect a dividend from my corporation.

Frankly, I don't see a reason to be jealous. I was joking around, and if RC didn't appreciate the humor I'm pretty sure he can speak for himself. If he's made a million at this game, good on him because it's not easy.

Does everything have to be serious with you people?

Your two biggest concerns will be solved with your first contract. At will employment ends day one. Your health care will improve day one. ExLax396 likes to tout the negatives, but he never gives any specifics.

Come on now ex comparing struggling yellow freight to us is a fair comparison. Lmao

I was being incredibly sarcastic. I'm not jealous of anyone here because the situations are different. As for stepping away? I have no interest in doing so for a very long time yet. I have a profitable business relationship with a growing company. If, on the off chance I did decide to step away, I could hire a driver to drive my truck for me while I collect a divi
Frankly, I don't see a reason to bjealous.Ijoking around, and if RC didn't appreciate the humor I'm pretty sure he can speak for himself. If he's made a million at this game, good on hibecause it's not easy.

Does everything have to be serious with you people?
Bu
And will you give said driver benefits or would you make him get that on his own , while you collect your dividend?

Bu
And will you give said driver benefits or would you make him get that on his own , while you collect your dividend?
Seeing as I have no plans to move in that direction any time soon, I'm not particularly concerned with it. Most contractors with hired drivers pay compensation and vacation pay. Most healthcare is covered here, and pensions are expensive.

That said, FedEx also derives it's new contractors from the driver pool, with permission from the employing contractors. If you want a retirement plan, bid on a run and get yourself a truck. That's how it usually goes.