FedEx Freight | The Big Picture

Seeing as I have no plans to move in that direction any time soon, I'm not particularly concerned with it. Most contractors with hired drivers pay compensation and vacation pay. Most healthcare is covered here, and pensions are expensive.

That said, FedEx also derives it's new contractors from the driver pool, with permission from the employing contractors. If you want a retirement plan, bid on a run and get yourself a truck. That's how it usually goes.

Because owning a truck and leasing it to somebody is soooooooo lucrative.

Lots of guys are making money at it. There's one guy who owns a truck and drives for someone else. That's logic I don't get. He must be getting something out of it, otherwise he wouldn't be doing it.

There are huge numbers of FedEx Ground guys that own several routes. They run one themselves and pay guys to run the other ones. Same for line haul, or whatever they call there road operation. Must be pretty lucrative.

There are huge numbers of FedEx Ground guys that own several routes. They run one themselves and pay guys to run the other ones. Same for line haul, or whatever they call there road operation. Must be pretty lucrative.
It's pretty much the same here, although we don't own the runs. The bidding is done by seniority so everyone pretty much does the same thing all the time anyway

It's pretty much the same here, although we don't own the runs. The bidding is done by seniority so everyone pretty much does the same thing all the time anyway

Interesting system, north of the boarder. Owner Operators and seniority in the same sentence. That's just foreign to me... Pardon the pun. That may be a common arrangement here too, I've just never really been exposed to the owner-operator, "leased on" type of system.

Interesting system, north of the boarder. Owner Operators and seniority in the same sentence. That's just foreign to me... Pardon the pun. That may be a common arrangement here too, I've just never really been exposed to the owner-operator, "leased on" type of system.
FedEx is pretty good to us, with the exception of the cases where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. The bid can get hairy when a new run comes in, but generally the senior trucks stick to the same work.

Ok now they claim you had to log 70 hrs a week to make that wage. Correct me if I'm wrong you probably logged 50 +/- a week to make 89,000. I'm just asking.

Your two biggest concerns will be solved with your first contract. At will employment ends day one. Your health care will improve day one. ExLax396 likes to tout the negatives, but he never gives any specifics.

I have given plenty of negatives over the pages and pages of this ongoing debate. I've also been equal opportunity and pointed out some positives.

Come on now ex comparing struggling yellow freight to us is a fair comparison. Lmao

No, I was comparing the FedEx environment to every other LTL carrier where I have first hand experience. While the Teamsters may not be the cause, it would impossible to ignore the correlation between the working environments at the union companies and the non-union companies.

As different as FedEx might be to what Viking was, or as different as the LEAN Con-Way may be to the old "FAT" Con-Way...I guarantee you that those differences pale in comparison to what things at CF, NW, PIE, ABF, YRC companies are/were like.

Not saying the union was the cause, but you would be quite ignorant to dismiss the correlation.

Truckdriver 79.

It's called ad nauseam.

There is a thread with 50+ pages discussing the pros and cons.

Read it and if you still don't get it read it again.

Where do you get your facts that health care will improve. Show me a link or something.

Thats the mother of all FUs. Assumptions.
Which is all they YES crowd has.
You look at the facts.
There are NO, and Ill say it again, NO union, ltl success stories. None. Why would we be different?

"Oh, but see, we negotiates out own contract!! "

Yeah, when? How long will this take? 3mo? 3yrs?

Where is it written that ANYTHING will get better?

I wonder, when/if the union comes in, and in 6yrs,FxF is on its ass, will the YES crowd have the spine to look at themselves in the mirror, and say" I caused this"

Doubtful. Someone else will be to blame by then.

Thats the mother of all FUs. Assumptions.
Which is all they YES crowd has.
You look at the facts.
There are NO, and Ill say it again, NO union, ltl success stories. None. Why would we be different?

"Oh, but see, we negotiates out own contract!! "

Yeah, when? How long will this take? 3mo? 3yrs?

Where is it written that ANYTHING will get better?

I wonder, when/if the union comes in, and in 6yrs,FxF is on its ass, will the YES crowd have the spine to look at themselves in the mirror, and say" I caused this"

Doubtful. Someone else will be to blame by then.

Do you live under a rock? You ever hear of UPS freight and what there contract entails? I guess they don't count lol

Lol have at it hoss nobody said you couldnt post, but i put you in same category as ex don't really care what u guys have to say.

If that were really true you would add us both to your ignore list and refrain from responding to us or asking us questions.

You ever hear of UPS freight and what there contract entails? I guess they don't count lol

Yes, and who else has a contract that mirrors what UPS has?

I DO believe that some things will get better. I also believe some other things will get worse.

No guarantee that anything will get better, but I don't see either side pitching a perfect game.

You are correct No F-bdy Bs in that when union LTL companies fail, people don't look in their mirror and accept any responsibility. They always believe it's managements' fault, management believes it's the union or the economy. Fact is, it is usually a combination of a really crappy work environment leading to unproductive employees who cost too much mixed in with an us vs them attitude and the inflexible nature of the business and its inability to change quickly when needed. The team isn't on the same page, and when that happens it doesn't matter how good your players are you rarely win in the long run, especially with one hand tied behind your back.

I see it the Union solution as a selfish short term answer. The employee gets theirs while the getting is good and who cares what happens to the company or their co-workers left behind? That's very different than executives negotiating for golden parachutes or exit packages exactly how?

Yes, and who else has a contract that mirrors what UPS has?

I DO believe that some things will get better. I also believe some other things will get worse.

No guarantee that anything will get better, but I don't see either side pitching a perfect game.

You are correct No F-bdy Bs in that when union LTL companies fail, people don't look in their mirror and accept any responsibility. They always believe it's managements' fault, management believes it's the union or the economy. Fact is, it is usually a combination of a really crappy work environment leading to unproductive employees who cost too much mixed in with an us vs them attitude and the inflexible nature of the business and its inability to change quickly when needed. The team isn't on the same page, and when that happens it doesn't matter how good your players are you rarely win in the long run, especially with one hand tied behind your back.

I see it the Union solution as a selfish short term answer. The employee gets theirs while the getting is good and who cares what happens to the company or their co-workers left behind? That's very different than executives negotiating for golden parachutes or exit packages exactly how?

This one might just shut down the server!!!

Do you live under a rock? You ever hear of UPS freight and what there contract entails? I guess they don't count lol

Oh, do tell!
Show me all the success UPSF has. Do you have any idea how much of their freight is moved by contract csrriers?

If the upsf contract is what we are striving for, then way to go after the low hanging fruit.