ABF | The contract is ratified as of November 3

OK, got it but there are still some better jobs out there than what we have. And at the rate we're going that trend will continue and grow.

In Ltl? Who? And one more question, if yrc goes out, will this hurt or help us? Seems like they were the excuse for the 7%

Not in LTL, in chemical industry. And pipeline work is not too shabby. If YRC goes under it's a win for ABF and a loss for Teamsters. And if they do the yes voters will understand why this contract is so bad and why 5 years is way too long.

And let me add that LTL is not the job it used to be and it is getting worse. Unless your high on the seniority list much of the work sucks. Supervisors who give us sht all day have no idea what we go through out there. I have gotten to the point where I know that no matter what I do they aren't going to be happy with it so I really don't try too hard.

In Ltl? Who? And one more question, if yrc goes out, will this hurt or help us? Seems like they were the excuse for the 7%

I can see wages at non-union LTL carriers exceeding ABF's. They'll start to raise pay to try to prevent driver turnover, and they won't be tied to a contractual structure timeline. This is already happening in the Truckload sector,....here in W. Pa., where there's big competition for CDLw/ HAZ-MAT,...I know that Pitt-Ohio has already given 2 pay raises of fifty cents each this year. I know of a twenty-five year man who quit NEMF and is making more on pipeline in 4 months than what he made at NEMF all year. I know that UPSF in this area already had two men quit, and the UPS labor people were flabbergasted. Nobody Quits UPS!.....or so they thought......I can see us being surpassed in wages as early as May or June of next year,..........and if they mess up the pension,....which is what most of us are waiting for,...I can see that happening sooner. I know that YRC in the Pittsburgh area is working everyone right to the 60 hour mark,...and is still giving away 250 bills a week,....because they can't hire anyone, and haven't put anyone on the seniority list in more than a year. They have no pension to enter into as a new hire, existing employees were frozen 4 years ago, and our fund in this area considers the 25% payment as partial back payments due and owed before reinstatement into the fund. I know that FedEx has hired about 7 people, and 5 of them quit in the second week. Now,......tell me once again, why we took a pay cut? The sales force wants to be competitive by being able to slash freight rates without worrying about labor rates,......yet the people who do the actual work,......are becoming disgruntled, and scarce....in BOTH Union and non-Union companies. This is what happens when an industry marginalizes it's labor force,...and encourages the sales force to cut rates to get volume, because large volume increases stock price.......and THAT is all upper mgmt. cares about.

And let me add that LTL is not the job it used to be and it is getting worse. Unless your high on the seniority list much of the work sucks. Supervisors who give us sht all day have no idea what we go through out there. I have gotten to the point where I know that no matter what I do they aren't going to be happy with it so I really don't try too hard.

Ahh, Brother ABFer,......Supervisors who give you sht,.....should be a great source of entertainment for you. They were for me until we "trained" them here in our barn. "What took you so long at that delivery?' "Well,...because that's how long it took. Can't make it any plainer than that." "How did that freight get damaged?" "Probably because we used the wrong size caliber on our Freight Cannon when we loaded the truck."......I guess it helps to be a smart-aleck....I know it helps to be about 25 years older than said Supervisor, as most of us are, nowadays. That way,...when they ask you something particularly annoying, you can put on a sour, dour, puckered-up facial expression,....like you smelled a foul diaper,.....lower your glasses to the edge of your nose,...and glare out over the top of them,......and say: "If you would fire me now, I could retire about 2 years earlier than I was planning, but if I have to deal with more of your insipidity, you might be doing me a favor!".....and then turn your back on him, and walk away. After about the tenth time...(more if he's particularly dense....), he'll get the hint, and quit asking you ignorant questions. In fact , he might quit talking to you completely. I'd regard that as a "Win".

I'm not to sure if this question has been answered yet. Will the 7% be for a calender year or till April 1st? It seems that nobody has a clear answer yet. Thanks for your help out there.:wavey:

Will be 'til April 1, 2014 when we get a whopping what, 2% raise?

I'm not to sure if this question has been answered yet. Will the 7% be for a calender year or till April 1st? It seems that nobody has a clear answer yet. Thanks for your help out there.:wavey:

Gentlemen,....I spent most of this morning re-reading our new contract,....there will be a number of things that slip under our collective radar,....and one of them we were taking for granted is that the pay period will be the same term as the contract. It is not, anymore. July 1st, 2014 is the day we receive our 2% pay "raise",...and all subsequent July 1st's afterward. Vacation anniversaries still remain June 1st. Pension/ Health and Welfare contributions remain August 1st. of each year. The term of this contract is April 1st, 2013 until March 31st, 2018. We have to wait 9 months before they deign to dribble back our 2%,.....If we would've ratified this contract on April 1st, we would've waited 15 months before our first pay "raise". Brother Capnkirk, there is no retroactivity for pay. -7% starts today. Pension/ H&W payments are retroactive to August 1st, 2013.

What do you mean vacation anniversaries remain June 1st??? Mine is my seniority date.

Really ? How so? We're still the highest compensated drivers in the industry

First, No you are not the highest payed in the ltl industry.........

Second, Money isn't the only thing that is important,..........

You seem to like the race to the bottom,...At least your winning,.........................................

I'm sorry,...I meant the vacation period is still the same as the last contract,......June1st to May 31st of each year. You're right.....seniority date determines vacation anniversary. I misspoke, and will now abase myself...........got a 50 gallon drum of "abase" in the garage,...gotta find a paintbrush....

We bid our vacations by calendar year, you do yours by June-May??? Is that a supplement thing?

Well I work for a Non that tops at $24.28 and we're not waiting 8 years on two wps vacation.
well thanks for all the concern for our well being,but as union driver we still have a contract to go by with things like work rules,job protection, sick days,piadhollidays plus extra pay working on them,breakdown pay, layover pay and the right to vote on any mager changes freehealth care,pension,and gievance process to handle disputs plus we will start getting money back in a few months,in the mean time the mony we gave back is buying new
,rolling stock.so thanks again NON -UIONDRIVER for your concern and one more thing as a guest to this ABF UNION board don't wear out your welcome.

Why, yes....yes it is. Our vacation list goes up May 1st,...bid in seniority order,...after June 1st, if you have unbid vacation, it's first come, first served,....can't use seniority to bump a junior man if you did not originally pick that week,..and the junior man chose it before you did.

From what I have always heard about ABF from real people out on the road rubbing elbows with. I'd still would work for ABF over any of the nonunion companies, any day. Until we ALL wake up and pull together this is going to continue with every LTL company out there.The union companies continue to erode don't think the nonunion companies aren't going to follow in hot pursuit...

Well, Brother Skeeter,....we've been trying to put the message out for years,.....Union or non-Union, our fortunes are all wrapped up together. A pay cut at one company "justifies" a pay cut at other companies,....irregardless of O.R.,.....it's just more money in the bank. Those of us in Union companies made a choice,...sometimes several choices,.....there are very, very few Union guys who are with the carrier they started with 30 years ago,......the guys in the non-Union companies followed the line of least resistance,....it was easier to get on with a non-Union carrier. Everyone makes choices on how to feed their families,.....but once we are employed, we should all fight together to improve this industry..........we shouldn't be bowing our heads and trying to keep under the radar, so to speak. It's our industry,...our livelihood,.....not the sales department's,...or even the CEO's of the company,.....WE do the work, and WE know what it should pay,......the hard part is getting everyone together and demanding good pay.

Well, Brother Skeeter,....we've been trying to put the message out for years,.....Union or non-Union, our fortunes are all wrapped up together. A pay cut at one company "justifies" a pay cut at other companies,....irregardless of O.R.,.....it's just more money in the bank. Those of us in Union companies made a choice,...sometimes several choices,.....there are very, very few Union guys who are with the carrier they started with 30 years ago,......the guys in the non-Union companies followed the line of least resistance,....it was easier to get on with a non-Union carrier. Everyone makes choices on how to feed their families,.....but once we are employed, we should all fight together to improve this industry..........we shouldn't be bowing our heads and trying to keep under the radar, so to speak. It's our industry,...our livelihood,.....not the sales department's,...or even the CEO's of the company,.....WE do the work, and WE know what it should pay,......the hard part is getting everyone together and demanding good pay.

Well said...

I'm guessing that ziper's comment was in response to Rollin62 claiming this was best paid job in LTL. All the other comments on a contract and structure at work do apply for us that don't apply anywhere else.
Actually as I recall now we have no language stating when vacations are bid. Years ago we used to just go in, check calendar and put in for any open week. Then we had a bottom guy who went in early in the year and put in for guess what...all the holiday weeks. That move put an end to first come/first serve on vacations. Since then we bid ours by calendar year. I would expect it would suck to bid vacation time in May/June in the icy tundra of the north. How could you reserve yourself a good vacation place when you don't know in advance what weeks you are going to get? I know of another nitwit who left his year pass and thought he was going to paid for the week and he knew (well he thought he knew) what he was doing. He cried like a baby so the local stepped in and made the men bid at year's end instead of first come/first serve as it had been. I'd have just told the guy that he screwed up and move on, I wouldn't have taken it out on the rest of the men.